Puppy Linux install

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Puppy Linux install

Post by Pepi »

Anyone ever tried to install Puppy Linux on a harddrive :lol: What a chore. Thank GOD for Mint :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Puppy Linux install

Post by Moem »

I think he's more comfortable with being called 'Clem'. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You don't get Mint or Ubuntu ease of installation in a distro like Puppy. Or of configuration. That's one of the costs of having such a small footprint.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

151tom wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:07 am There is a learning curve with Puppy Linux and a new Puppy user must learn the Puppy way of doing things.
How is this different in meaning from "You don't get Mint or Ubuntu ease of installation in a distro like Puppy. Or of configuration"?
These statements seem pretty close in meaning to me. There is not a whole lot of daylight between 'It needs to be learned' and 'it's not the easiest thing you could use'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:42 amYou don't get Mint or Ubuntu ease of installation in a distro like Puppy. Or of configuration. That's one of the costs of having such a small footprint.
IIRC (it's been a few years) the installation was actually pretty easy (copy some files, point a grub.cfg at them with the right syntax) but you wouldn't know it from their installation instructions, which were awful - I see they still have their "How NOT to install Puppy Linux" where it gives detailed instructions on...what? What NOT to do? Or what you're supposed to do?

http://puppylinux.org/main/How%20NOT%20 ... 0Puppy.htm
It's pretty ridiculous, and it's been there for years....

Edit: For anyone actually trying to install puppy linux, the below seems complete, but it has no date and doesn't specify which version of 'puppy' it's for (IIRC, there were at least two).
"How to Install Puppy Linux"
https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Puppy-Linux
Last edited by Flemur on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I found a Distro that is great for slow 32 bit computers. Bodhi Linux based on Ubuntu. Beautiful desktop and fast. Best of all install is a breeze :mrgreen:
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

151tom wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:18 amInstall and use Puppy then you will understand.
Unless you have used Puppy you won't understand.
I've used it, it's a great really small system (I had it on a 128M SD card), but the installation instructions were terrible*, as is their documentation i general.

*they're still terrible. In addition to the confusing "how not to install" page, they have
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/InstallationFullHDD
wwhich says the real install instruction are on
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29653
and it repeats the stuff from the previous page. It's awful.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

151tom wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:18 amI never said it was different.
You did, but then you edited your post while I was responding to it. You said to Hoser Rob that he was wrong or that you disagreed, I can't remember it in detail.
Doesn't matter. We all type faster than we think sometimes.

151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

151tom, it's fine. We all make mistakes. The only way to avoid making mistakes is by not doing anything at all, ever, and in itself that would be... a mistake. :wink:

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

funny this comes up.

I installed VM on my big Win7 PC two days ago, and was having fun loading onto VM every flavor of old Distros that I had accumulated over the years.

Puppy being one of them, it was a 2011 version, or at least downloaded then.

VM took it in stride, no issues at all on the install... have never tried to install it on a HDD.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I ended up doing a frugall install. One very important thing which I don't think they tell you, is that when you shut down the Live session, do not create a pupsave file/save the session! If you do, the installed version will use that instead of the one you create in the installed version. Caused some confusion.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

I used this video to install puppy on an old Thinkpad years ago. Made some mistakes along the way, but eventually figured it out. :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJtYhl-7SqI
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

and I've never been bothered to even Install Puppy to some HDD,
as I've always just used it's option to save it's system file(s) to that same HDD,
and just re-used those upon the next boot of the Puppy CD.
- much more 8) too.

and would there really be much of an increase in Boot Time, when booting from a HDD, anyway ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Pierre wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:35 am I've never been bothered to even Install Puppy to some HDD
In my case it is for convenience (= no need to have the CD handy) and the machine has only one 5¼" bay, and I've fitted a 1.2MB 5¼" floppy drive in place of the optical unit. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

I find Puppy more useful as a live distro. I love using old PC hardware and Wary Puppy 5.5 on a CD-R can be a great way to get those old systems online through ethernet to get any programs or files they need. It's nice when old hardware can be self-sufficient instead of having to rely on stuff being brought over from more current machines.

Return to “Chat about Linux”