Finally, support for AMD A10 R6 graphics!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Finally, support for AMD A10 R6 graphics!

Post by exploder »

Some of you may know that I have had to use Windows 10 on my desktop and laptop lately because of hardware support under Linux. Last night I tried the development build of Ubuntu 18.04 on my HP 17-121 wm with an AMD A10 processor with R6 graphics. It was slow to boot from the live DVD and took a while to install but after the install it runs great! Ubuntu did a nice job with Gnome Shell too by the way!

I do not mind Windows 10 from the point that I need to know it should I ever get back into IT but I sure was missing Linux. I bought the laptop with the plan of replacing Windows 10 with Linux, it just took a little longer than I had anticipated. I was really happy last night to say the least! Also, getting in on 18.04 during the development cycle was a huge plus for me! I experienced some problems with the screen rotating at random but seem to have it under control today, it is under development after all.

All my hardware is working great now, no Wi-Fi issues of any kind and the laptop runs fast! Memory use is great, 1.1 GB at startup! I noticed Ubuntu has the night light feature now, that is awesome! I have a feeling 18.04 is going to be a good release!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Finally, support for AMD A10 R6 graphics!

Post by all41 »

Memory use is great, 1.1 GB at startup!
Seems like a lot sir--how is that memory allocated?
Great that your hardware is supported now--happy for you.
Thanks for all you do here.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Finally, support for AMD A10 R6 graphics!

Post by exploder »

For a full featured desktop environment with effects I though memory use was very good. The last time I tried Gnome shell memory use was much higher. I could get Windows 10 to use the same amount of memory after a lot of tweaking! I did not do anything to tweak 18.04, just installed it. :) My thinking is that Mint should have a very solid base for the next major release if things are going this good now.

Return to “Chat about Linux”