Slow/Poor performance Linux on Ubuntu 16.04, previously on Mint 18 Xfce

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robertojf2012

Slow/Poor performance Linux on Ubuntu 16.04, previously on Mint 18 Xfce

Post by robertojf2012 »

Hello guys, I'm pretty new here. I have installed Linux mint 18 Sarah Xfce 64-bit edition... The problem that I have is with the performance of my laptop, when I boot up, everything seems normal, but when I start browsing the web, using (Google docs), or even working with Libre Office, I start noticing that the performance goes down, my apps sometimes crash, and they respond very slowly. Switching tabs in Firefox is laggy.. basically the system runs very slow and laggy, despite I have nice specs.
What I had to do to make a quick solution is restart my pc. and then starts to work very well. Also when I put to sleep my pc, and then I start using it again the performance problem starts again. And I think is worse.
What I have noticed too is that when I watch youtube videos or when I scroll things, I can notice screen tearing.

I have looking for answers, And Yes I have seen some people having similar issues, but I'm afear to break things down, because the drivers are not the same.
This is what I get when I run inxi -Fzx on the terminal...

Code: Select all

System:    Host: RobertLaptop Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
                    Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:       System: TOSHIBA (portable) product: Satellite C855 v: PSCBLU-02M004
                    Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC v: MP
                    Bios: Insyde v: 6.70 date: 04/15/2013
CPU:            Dual core Intel Core i3-3120M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
                    flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9977
                    clock speeds: max: 2500 MHz 1: 1631 MHz 2: 1699 MHz 3: 1693 MHz
                    4: 1711 MHz
Graphics:      Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
                    bus-ID: 00:02.0
                    Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
                    Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
                    GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
                    GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:           Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
                    driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
                    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-21-generic
Network:       Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8162 Fast Ethernet
                    driver: alx port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
                    IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
                    Card-2: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
                    driver: rtl8192ce port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
                    IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:         HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (11.9% used)
                    ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54505 size: 500.1GB
Partition:       ID-1: / size: 455G used: 52G (12%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
                    ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:           No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:       System Temperatures: cpu: 60.0C mobo: N/A
                    Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:             Processes: 210 Uptime: 21 min Memory: 991.2/3835.8MB
                    Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
                    Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35

I hope you can help me, sorry for my english. I try to do my best. Thank you very much!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Slow/Poor performance Linux Mint 18 Xfce

Post by michael louwe »

@ robertojf2012, .......
robertojf2012 wrote:...
Likely, the problem is because you have a large / or Root partition of 455GB. Optimally, it should be about 50GB to 100GB, with a separate Home partition for data storage(= eg movies, music and photos).

You have a UEFI computer but LM 18.3 Xfce is installed in Legacy BIOS mode = the UEFI-BIOS setup has CSM or Legacy BIOS enabled. Secure Boot and Fast Boot should also have been disabled. Please check these settings are compatible with Legacy BIOS mode.

Please post also the Terminal output for sudo parted -l
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

michael louwe wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:31 pm @ robertojf2012, .......
Likely, the problem is because you have a large / or Root partition of 455GB. Optimally, it should be about 50GB to 100GB, with a separate Home partition for data storage(= eg movies, music and photos).
That's untrue. :shock:
A large root partition does not, repeat not, influence system speed in any meaningful way at all.

@robertojf2012: try these safe speed tweaks:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

robertojf2012 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:52 pmwhen I boot up, everything seems normal, but when I start browsing the web, using (Google docs), or even working with Libre Office, I start noticing that the performance goes down, my apps sometimes crash, and they respond very slowly.
Open the task manger (or terminal: "xfce4-taskmanager") from the menu and keep an eye on CPU and memory/swap use.
Or, in a couple of terminals

watch free -m
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
robertojf2012

Post by robertojf2012 »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:14 pm
michael louwe wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:31 pm @ robertojf2012, .......
That's untrue. :shock:
A large root partition does not, repeat not, influence system speed in any meaningful way at all.

@robertojf2012: try these safe speed tweaks:
Thank you, I will check those tweaks.. I HAVE AN UPDATE. I applied this repository sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
And then update, upgrade, and then restart my system. It seems that the screen tearing has disappeared, but I need to keep using my PC to verify, and also check if the performance has been improved too. I will reply to you as soon as possible Thank you!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

robertojf2012 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:24 am I applied this repository sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
You shouldn't have installed things from that PPA.... Your system has become unpredictable and unreliable now.

Read the warning that the xorg-edgers team gives about its own PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers

Key quote:
Packages for those who think development versions, experimental and unstable are for old ladies. We want our crack straight from upstream git! Well, straight, we want it built and packaged so we don't need to know what we're doing, except that we will break our X and put our computers on fire.
You can't blame the xorg-edgers team: they've given a humorous but clear warning to all.
robertojf2012

Post by robertojf2012 »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:32 am
robertojf2012 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:24 am I applied this repository sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
You shouldn't have installed things from that PPA.... Your system has become unpredictable and unreliable now.

Read the warning that the xorg-edgers team gives about its own PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers

Key quote:
Packages for those who think development versions, experimental and unstable are for old ladies. We want our crack straight from upstream git! Well, straight, we want it built and packaged so we don't need to know what we're doing, except that we will break our X and put our computers on fire.
You can't blame the xorg-edgers team: they've given a humorous but clear warning to all.
Hello!, yeah you were right. I have removed that repository because the problem was still there. I think I have solved. after some more research I installed this: sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq
I think the problem was my CPU frequency, it was in some way in power-saving mode. Now I have changed to performance and its working pretty fast. I will see how it goes.
the screen tearing was because of the window manager. I changed to Xfwm4+compositing and then in the window manager Tweaks, on the compositor tab I checked Synchronize drawing to vertical black. and Now no more tearing.
However when I watch videos I can notice that the videos pixelate even when I play them in HD or full HD. I have noticed that the videos pixelate when there are abrupt changes of scenes. I do not know what do to to solve this.. I hope you can help me with this, thank you very much
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Your system has been spoilt by the use of that PPA. You might try to undo its damage by means of ppa-purge, but the best approach is probably a clean installation of Mint 18.3 Xfce:
http://mintmirror.math.washington.edu/l ... -64bit.iso

After installing it, apply these safe speed tweaks:
robertojf2012

Post by robertojf2012 »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:56 pm Your system has been spoilt by the use of that PPA. You might try to undo its damage by means of ppa-purge, but the best approach is probably a clean installation of Mint 18.3 Xfce:
http://mintmirror.math.washington.edu/l ... -64bit.iso

After installing it, apply these safe speed tweaks:
Ok I have just done a clean format of my PC and I have removed linux mint. But this time I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. basically a clean installation. I have not touch anything.
And the problem also happens in Ubuntu. When I make a shutdown and then I turn on the PC. The performance is not fluid, it is kind of slow as before.
however when I restart my PC, the experience changes totally, My PC runs very fluid and Fast.
What could be the difference between Shutdown and restart? I hope you can help me.. thank you very much
JohnF76
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnF76 »

Ok, first the bad news. The Toshiba Satellite C855 isn't a high performance PC...according to PC Review, performance is "sluggish"
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422854,00.asp

There are things that you can do, though, that should help:

#1) Add more memory. Looks like you have 4 gigs of Ram. I'd up that to at least 8 gigs (2 4gb sticks). It might be possible to go to 16 gb (Toshiba lists 8gig, Crucial says you can go 16), 8 gigs should be fine.

#2) Replace your HD with an SSD, if it isn't one already. You can get those relatively cheap on Amazon. Once you do that, you should get a boost right away (don't forget to use the tips here https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd )

#3) You may want to test out Linux Lite as well (I've heard good reports for LL on older hardware).

Good Luck!
robertojf2012

Post by robertojf2012 »

Thanks for your reply, I know my laptop does not have so good specs. But as I said, There is a bug somewhere, When I use to have Windows in this laptop everything was responsive and fast. The performance was great. I know how my laptop works, that's why I noticed this on Linux.
To really work as in windows, I always need to restart my PC after a normal boot. If I do not reboot, I always experience sluggish.
After a reboot everything work as it should be.
So the specs of my computer are not the problem.
I'm still looking for a solution, I really hope you guys can help with this.
I'm gonna give you my Specs again:

System:    Host: robert-Satellite-C855 Kernel: 4.13.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Unity 7.4.5 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite C855 v: PSCBLU-02M004
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC v: MP
           Bios: Insyde v: 6.70 date: 04/15/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-3120M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9977
           clock speeds: max: 2500 MHz 1: 2494 MHz 2: 2494 MHz 3: 2494 MHz
           4: 2494 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.5 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-36-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8162 Fast Ethernet
           driver: alx port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
           driver: rtl8192ce port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (5.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54505 size: 500.1GB temp: 33C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 28G used: 5.2G (20%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: /boot size: 641M used: 69M (12%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-3: /home size: 429G used: 18G (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
           ID-4: swap-1 size: 2.05GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 224 Uptime: 27 min Memory: 1536.8/3832.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35

And the problem that I'm experiencing is that... after a normal boot, or a normal 'turn on' of my PC, When I start using it, the performance is bad, I experience sluggish everywhere, even switching tabs in Firefox is slow. What I always need to do is to make a restart to fix this problem, After a restart everything is fast and fluid, Why is this happening? I do not know if it is related to the CPU or drivers..
Thank you, I will be waiting for your response.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

robertojf2012 wrote:I'm gonna give you my Specs again:
That's a good idea. I added the code tags again. You're welcome. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
robertojf2012

Post by robertojf2012 »

I have an update. Also the problem gets fixed if I simply make a log out and then log in again. But I really want to know how to fix this completely.
Thank you again guys, hope you can help me.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Try the latest kernel of the 4.4 series (currently 4.4.0-116). Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels.

After installing it, reboot and boot from it (it's under the header Advanced in the Grub bootloader menu).
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

If this has now become a Support thread about Ubuntu, I will have to move it to 'Chat about Linux' and tell you that the Ubuntu forums would be the better place to ask your questions. After all, this is a Linux Mint forum.
Is this the case?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:34 am If this has now become a Support thread about Ubuntu, I will have to move it to 'Chat about Linux' and tell you that the Ubuntu forums would be the better place to ask your questions. After all, this is a Linux Mint forum.
Is this the case?
Well seen, Moem.... inxi doesn't lie. This is very confusing and annoying. :x
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Yup. Moving the topic now. Will also edit the topic title to the current state of affairs.

uberdorf

Re: Slow/Poor performance Linux on Ubuntu 16.04, previously on Mint 18 Xfce

Post by uberdorf »

A system that works fine and then slows down sounds like it could be heat related. Laptops don't have as good ventilation as desktops in general and so you have to be more careful with keeping them clean. I noticed that the details you posted show that the cpu was in the 50-60 degree range but the fan speed was "N/A"? Make sure that the fan is working, also make sure it is clean. Dust will sometimes block airflow through the cpu cooling fins, or even keep the fan from spinning if it gets bad enough.

Also, checking on a task or system monitor to see how hard the cpu is working, as already mentioned, is a good idea. If you find that it is working hard, then order the apps by highest cpu usage and see if they are necessary.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Slow/Poor performance Linux on Ubuntu 16.04, previously on Mint 18 Xfce

Post by Joe2Shoe »

FWIW: I had a Duo2Core 2.33GHz laptop with 4GB Crucial RAM running fine. Then, 2 days ago it began running at 1.0GHz and slow as XMas. Thought one of the CPU cores was bad, but it was one of the 2GB sticks of Crucial RAM that went south. Replaced the 2 Crucial 2GB SODIMMs with 2 Hynix 2GB SODIMMs and all is good again, with the CPU running at 2.33GHz instead of 1.0GHz.
Check your RAM.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

Return to “Chat about Linux”