Why are we so proud of our [Linux] OSs?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lysander666

Why are we so proud of our [Linux] OSs?

Post by Lysander666 »

I'm throwing this out there because I don't know how to address this effectively. I see on this forum so many posts about how people are proud to use Mint or proud to have left Windows. But why? And why, not only from a practical point of view but an emotional one - people here [and on other fora] are clearly really really proud to have fled the [Windows] nest.

Is it because people feel freer, that they've built something themselves, that they feel they're more in control, that they've stuck one to The Man, that they're learning rather than just using, that they're on the path to something exciting rather than just toeing the OS line? I would be very interested to see peoples' replies here, specifically since this is something that I experience regularly as well: I love the fact thst I use Linux, but my reasons may not be quite the same as yours. I'm intrigued to see what others have to say.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Why are we so proud of our [Linux] OSs?

Post by all41 »

imho I think you are grasping the concept well
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Well I for one will say that Linux is more enjoyable to use once learned then Windows is. Plus we don't have to fight the OS to get stuff done.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

All of the above, really; although I wouldn't say pride was the emotion here. Enthusiasm is more the thing.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

I love my Linux Mint KDE system and don't mind showing it off. I am proud of it because it has worked without fail 24/7 for the past 4 years. My friends who are still using Windows think that I am some kind of genius or geek. I am not either one and I tell them that. The smartest thing that I have done in the last four years is switch to Linux Mint and us Windows XP only when needed..

The best thing about Linux (Mint anyways) is the support...
Last edited by Jim Hauser on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

In my case, the trigger is Apple. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator and Mac user since 1994. I've been a Mac user until about 2011....
This company and the associated software vendors like Adobe and Quark have managed to make my life miserable. Printers, scanners, applications, fonts - oh God, whatever - nothing works - is outdated. When I think about how much money I've invested, it makes me sick.
I write this post on the cheapest netbook of 2010 - with software from 2018, with GNU/Linux - distributed by Mint. So for instance... :mrgreen:
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

The team that develop Linux Mint should be proud. We could be happy, thankful and/or like MintBean said - enthusiastic.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

absque fenestris wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:44 am In my case, the trigger is Apple. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator and Mac user since 1994. I've been a Mac user until about 2011....
This company and the associated software vendors like Adobe and Quark have managed to make my life miserable. Printers, scanners, applications, fonts - oh God, whatever - nothing works - is outdated. When I think about how much money I've invested, it makes me sick.
I write this post on the cheapest netbook of 2010 - with software from 2018, with GNU/Linux - distributed by Mint. So for instance... :mrgreen:
Yep... I forgot to mention the money I wasted running XP. Linux Mint allowed me to use that money to buy new hardware. Was able to go from an old Athlon 64 system to an FX-8350 (8 core) water cooled CPU with four HDDs (6 TB total) running on a striped LVM, a small torrent farm running on another striped LVM, multiple fractal producing and rendering programs, a good sized book library, lots of music and much more all running without virus or malware scanning. And if I still need to use XP it is on here too running in Virtualbox (once in a blue moon...)
Last edited by Jim Hauser on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:03 am Enthusiasm is more the thing.
Getting rid of Windwoes off your machine is like kicking the Taliban out of your neighbourhood :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

My wishes for 2018/2019: cool Mint Tara on AMD Ryzen with integrated graphics - nicely packed in the old Mac case from 1984...
Yes, I'd be proud of it...
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I think you've summed it up nicely, Lysander666. Although I wouldn't use the word "proud." Like MintBean said, enthusiastic. When I first started using Linux back in 2002, it was like when you find a great new restaurant in town, and you just want to tell all your friends about it. I love that Linux/Open Source is a community: everybody shares their skills and knowledge, and if you have a problem, people will even go out of their way to help you solve it. If there's any thing about Linux that makes me proud, I guess it would be the fact that I've learned enough about it to be able to help others some times.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jimallyn wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:37 am I think you've summed it up nicely, Lysander666. Although I wouldn't use the word "proud."
For me, it was deep sense of satisfaction. After many years as a Windwoes developer, giving it up was like giving up smoking.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Last Wednesday I was at my lawyer clearing up some business and he had a Windows (probably 10) system running on his desk. Even with the big screen it looked like a toy. It also looked like every Windows system going. I could not wait to get home to my system that looks like a serious collection of equipment and software.

It is Clem, the developers, moderators and many other helpful people on this forum who should be proud.

I quit smoking 15 years ago when my heart was trying to quit working. I should have quit Windows at the same time.

Mint gave me a new life. Right Catweazel?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm proud of learning new skills, especially because I used to think Linux-based OSses were beyond my capabilities. Now it seems we've met halfway: I have learned new things, and the Mint team has made things so much easier that I can now use a Linux-based OS and enjoy it! :mrgreen:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

There are some very nice responses in this thread, but two in particular resonate with me:
absque fenestris wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:44 am In my case, the trigger is Apple. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator and Mac user since 1994. I've been a Mac user until about 2011....
I'm not an Apple user, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the huge amounts of money that people have had to shell out for using their products. It's shameless how much they charge, but people buy it because they're ignorant, they just don't know any better. I haven't spent that much on Windows, but something always used to irk me:

Windows is activated

Thanks, Microsoft. I've spent money on an OS which I don't own.

Also, absque fenestris, I'm in a similar boat to you - I use up-to-date Linux software on a 2009 netbook - same processor as yours too.

The craziest thing about Windows 7 Starter [which is what it came with] was that it didn't allow the user to add their own wallpaper. Even to this day that it beyond belief for me. Including:
Features / Availability Starter Home Basic Home Premium Professional Enterprise Ultimate

Home Group (create and join) Join only Join only Yes Yes Yes
Multiple monitors No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Fast user switching No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Desktop Wallpaper Changeable No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Desktop Window Manager No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Windows Mobility Center No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Windows Aero No Partial Yes Yes Yes
Multi-Touch No No Yes Yes Yes
Premium Games Included No No Yes Yes Yes
Windows Media Center No No Yes Yes Yes
Windows Media Player Remote Media Experience No No Yes Yes Yes
Encrypting File System No No No Yes Yes
Location Aware Printing No No No Yes Yes
Remote Desktop Host No No No Yes Yes
Presentation Mode No No No Yes Yes
Windows Server domain No No No Yes Yes
Windows XP Mode No No No Yes Yes
AppLocker No No No No Yes
BitLocker Drive Encryption No No No No Yes
BranchCache Distributed Cache No No No No Yes
DirectAccess No No No No Yes
Subsystem for Unix-based Applications No No No No Yes
Multilingual User Interface Pack No No No No Yes
Virtual Hard Disk Booting No No No No Yes
Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 4fc21c2ac0
Moem wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:16 am I'm proud of learning new skills, especially because I used to think Linux-based OSses were beyond my capabilities. Now it seems we've met halfway: I have learned new things, and the Mint team has made things so much easier that I can now use a Linux-based OS and enjoy it! :mrgreen:
Indeed, it feels like an achievement. Well, it is an achievement. Not only from moving away from Windows/Apple but learning new skills and being part of new communities. I was never part of a Windows community because they're not attractive places. And asking for support only to be told you can't have it anymore [because they just decided to stop supporting/deprecate some piece of firmware] hardly encourages enthusiasm.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

well - - since I've this habit of re-installing various operating systems,
onto various hardware,, then that Licensing System was a royal PiTA . . . .
- and when the operating system crashed & you had to re-activate the operating system, again,
then that was an even bigger PiTA :twisted:

so, that, and my bigger helicopter Point of View, where Windows is "just another system",
and Linux system(s) are easier to manage - - is a real bonus.

also: the actual cost of M$ Windows, whilst it's inbuilt into your new machine,
is not Free, despite what folks do think, and it's maintenance is getting more laborious with each passing year.
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Lysander666 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:11 pm I'm throwing this out there because I don't know how to address this effectively. I see on this forum so many posts about how people are proud to use Mint or proud to have left Windows. But why? And why, not only from a practical point of view but an emotional one - people here [and on other fora] are clearly really really proud to have fled the [Windows] nest.

Is it because people feel freer, that they've built something themselves, that they feel they're more in control, that they've stuck one to The Man, that they're learning rather than just using, that they're on the path to something exciting rather than just toeing the OS line? I would be very interested to see peoples' replies here, specifically since this is something that I experience regularly as well: I love the fact thst I use Linux, but my reasons may not be quite the same as yours. I'm intrigued to see what others have to say.
I didn't flee Windows. It's not like that's the only proprietary OS out there.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

I think Linux fosters a sense of pride because it requires initiative to use it. Right from the get-go, you have to understand that your computer has a BIOS and that you have to instruct the BIOS to boot from an alternative means to that which the computer manufacturer provided for you. Once you've taken that step, you're in control of your computer and, even if you go back to Windows, you'll never be the same again.

I came over to Linux 4 years ago when XP came to an end. I took the opportunity to learn how to build my own system from parts and when I revisited my old laptops I was able to get so much more out of them after learning how to be in control instead of dealing with whatever crap Microsoft threw my way.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

English Invader wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 pm dealing with whatever crap Microsoft threw my way.
Understatement. I have Windwoes 10 in a VM and it just took one hour to update, one hour struggling with activation because now Windwoes claims it's not activated, another half hour to reinstall from Microsoft's .iso, and now it's updating yet again so there goes another hour. And that happens every few months.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

catweazel wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:00 pm Understatement. I have Windwoes 10 in a VM and it just took one hour to update, one hour struggling with activation because now Windwoes claims it's not activated, another half hour to reinstall from Microsoft's .iso, and now it's updating yet again so there goes another hour. And that happens every few months.
The beauty of an obsolete OS is that you don't get updates. As long as you're ok using a computer offline or, at the very most, using Puppy via CD-R to obtain any programs you need, you can remove the AV bloatware and actually enjoy using a Windows computer. My old XP laptops have run a lot better since Microsoft and AVG stopped supporting them.

Return to “Chat about Linux”