Why are we so proud of our [Linux] OSs?

Chat about Linux in general
AZgl1500
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Why are we so proud of our [Linux] OSs?

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:36 pm

I have used, and helped people with, Windows since its' inception....

When 8.1 came along, it aggravated me immensely, I hated those cartoon menus....
So, I installed Classic Shell and pretended that it was Win7 still....

Then my laptop broke, and I was 1500 miles from home..... and stopped in at a Fry's Electronics to see what $500 would buy... that was my imposed limit. I refused to spend a lot of money on Win10 as I will never be buying new software or paying anyone to use anything on that OS.

After about 6 weeks of trying to 'get along with', Win10 started looking again ( after 10 years of previously looking ) to see what flavors of linux are now available.... when I saw Mint Cinnamon, I fell in love with it right there.

After using the LiveCD for a few hours, I just hit the Install icon and let it wash my tears away, and I have not looked back once.

This community has been great, I have never once brought up a problem and been told I was ignorant. Always a good feeling, and folks willing to go to great lengths to help educate me on the why/how of Linux Mint.

and just this past few days, I got hold of a military laptop from 2001, a General Dynamics, Itronix GoBook.
It is generously blessed with a whole gB of RAM and 40 gB HDD and a very old graphics card.... but, I was surprised, the CPU is running at 1.7 gHz and that is back in 2001.... that is almost as fast as this laptop I just bought from ASUS in 2016.

I have run thru 6 or 7 flavors of Linux in the last 72 hours trying things out to see how the different OSes work on that old thing.... and this forum is working with me now, showing me ways to get it going....

Once it is going, it is going to be a nice toy for me, or a nice surprise for a kid w/o any money in his jeans.

I am here to stay

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:32 pm

I think the pride comes from making my own choice rather than just accept what comes on the hardware. There are times though when the hardware leaves you without choices... What got me hooked in the first place was being able to do everything I could do in Windows on Linux. It's easier to get involved with various projects too.

absque fenestris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by absque fenestris » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:05 am

exploder wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:32 pm
I think the pride comes from making my own choice rather than just accept what comes on the hardware. There are times though when the hardware leaves you without choices... What got me hooked in the first place was being able to do everything I could do in Windows on Linux. It's easier to get involved with various projects too.
Yes. By working with GNU/Linux I'm now able to better manage also the equipment of the fruit company. Last joke in the Sierras: Bluetooth cannot be switched off. My Bluetooth speaker is no longer supported. No need for Bluetooth. Official support from Apple is stupid.
How to switch off?
...it's a Unix command

Here's my copy & paste which is sent to the Apple support on a regular basis:

Dear company. We're not on "thou". As a paying customer I would like to be addressed as "you". Your reference to the system settings is ridiculous. Exactly because of the system settings I am on your support page.
Yours sincerely.

Sehr geehrte Firma. Wir sind nicht auf "Du". Als zahlender Kunde möchte ich als "Sie" angesprochen werden. Ihr Verweis auf die Systemeinstellungen ist blödsinnig. Genau wegen der Systemeinstellungen bin ich auf Ihrer Supportseite.
Mit freundlichen Grüssen.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:07 pm

catweazel said
Understatement. I have Windwoes 10 in a VM and it just took one hour to update, one hour struggling with activation because now Windwoes claims it's not activated, another half hour to reinstall from Microsoft's .iso, and now it's updating yet again so there goes another hour. And that happens every few months.
hi catweazel...i was just wondering, just how long have you been afflicted with these masochistic tendencies?...lol...DAMIEN

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:32 am

Lysander666 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:11 pm
I'm throwing this out there because I don't know how to address this effectively. I see on this forum so many posts about how people are proud to use Mint or proud to have left Windows. But why?
Mostly because: "I don't want to pay for software (have no money), I'm old man, I have old hardware (have no money), but I'm still here in forum. Hello. Don't you envy me?"
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 am

1 ) The installation disc is better than windows version and it can be used like an operating system during any problem time.
2 ) I can share Mint with others.
3 ) I can use Mint on more than one computer.
4 ) I no longer have to enter Product Keys, nor activate, nor reactivate after changing some hardware.
5 ) Cost is negligible, although I make donations, but enjoy when I can do so.
6 ) No built-in copyright protectionism bogging down the system.
7 ) Total control of updates, something that has almost totally disappeared in windows 10.
8 ) Fewer error messages, and when they happen, they make sense, not some odd code I have to research.
9 ) Security is a biggie!
10) Lower RAM usage to achieve the same results.
11) GParted beats the heck out of Diskpart in Windows.
12) 32 bit Mint not limited to 2TB drive sizes.
13) Monolithic kernel support seems to work better than windows kernel.
14) Privacy, unlike Microsoft's increasing invasiveness in that area.
15) Mint can be installed to removable media, unlike windows that ONLY wants installed to hard drive on ATA bus.
16) CLI commands which quickly give large amounts of useful information when needed in easy text format.
17) A safe repository full of useful software, no searching third party locations for it.
18) Appearance. I don't like cartoon look of Windows, & used Classic Mode in XP to avoid it. My last favorite windows was W2K.
19) Guest Mode can be locked down better than in Windows.
20) Keep using older computers on a current Mint system while achieving same or better results than could on newer Windows.
21) No need for antivirus programs slowing the system down with heuristic scanning.
22) The pure enjoyment based on all the above.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Lysander666
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lysander666 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 am

BigEasy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:32 am
Mostly because: "I don't want to pay for software (have no money), I'm old man, I have old hardware (have no money), but I'm still here in forum. Hello. Don't you envy me?"
And isn't that an excellent thing that Linux allows people who have no money and older hardware to use computers rather than having to suffer behind the paywalling of M$ or Apple.
Debian 9.4 / Slackware 14.2

Lysander666
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lysander666 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:48 am

Nice post, Spearmint2. The ones that particularly resonate with my usage are:
Spearmint2 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 am
1 ) The installation disc is better than windows version and it can be used like an operating system during any problem time.
2 ) I can share Mint with others.
3 ) I can use Mint on more than one computer.
4 ) I no longer have to enter Product Keys, nor activate, nor reactivate after changing some hardware.
5 ) Cost is negligible, although I make donations, but enjoy when I can do so.
6 ) No built-in copyright protectionism bogging down the system.
7 ) Total control of updates, something that has almost totally disappeared in windows 10.
8 ) Fewer error messages, and when they happen, they make sense, not some odd code I have to research.

9 ) Security is a biggie!
10) Lower RAM usage to achieve the same results.
11) GParted beats the heck out of Diskpart in Windows.
12) 32 bit Mint not limited to 2TB drive sizes. - I wasn't actually aware of this one
13) Monolithic kernel support seems to work better than windows kernel.
14) Privacy, unlike Microsoft's increasing invasiveness in that area.
15) Mint can be installed to removable media, unlike windows that ONLY wants installed to hard drive on ATA bus.
16) CLI commands which quickly give large amounts of useful information when needed in easy text format.
17) A safe repository full of useful software, no searching third party locations for it.
18) Appearance. I don't like cartoon look of Windows, & used Classic Mode in XP to avoid it. My last favorite windows was W2K.

19) Guest Mode can be locked down better than in Windows.
20) Keep using older computers on a current Mint system while achieving same or better results than could on newer Windows.
21) No need for antivirus programs slowing the system down with heuristic scanning.
22) The pure enjoyment based on all the above.
Very good rundown of things.
Debian 9.4 / Slackware 14.2

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:58 am

Lysander666 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 am
And isn't that an excellent thing that Linux allows people who have no money and older hardware to use computers rather than having to suffer behind the paywalling of M$ or Apple.
I'm sure it is exellent!

cecilieaux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecilieaux » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:30 am

Lysander666 wrote:
Is it because people feel freer, that they've built something themselves, that they feel they're more in control, that they've stuck one to The Man, that they're learning rather than just using, that they're on the path to something exciting rather than just toeing the OS line?
"Proud" is not my word. I would say happy or pleased or relieved. I lack the expertise to build an OS and I had nothing to to with building Linux.

However, I first experienced it in the 1990s as a server OS and was amazed how secure and solid it was. The hardware died long before the software (Linux Redhat 4). I was very happy that my business saved lots of money and worries going with a Linux server. Then in the 00s I began experimenting with Linux at home. I tried Mandrake, then Ubuntu. When they killed XP I couldn't bring myself to install another Windows at home, so I went with Ubuntu alone. Then came Unity, which I absolutely hated. So I came to Mint.

So my answer is because it is solid and doesn't constantly crash, because it is free and because I can ultimately do pretty much everything I did (save some old, old games) with fewer worries and less searching for constantly newer utilities to do things the system should be able to do.
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64-bit

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:20 am

I think it's pride mostly in the effort it usually takes to set up Linux and config it, esp. compared to just getting pre loaded Windows.

Actually I suspect some Linux geeks are like old Harley nuts ... they like it when it breaks down because then they get to fix it .... not me though, not quite.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:39 am

Hoser Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:20 am
I think it's pride mostly in the effort it usually takes to set up Linux and config it, esp. compared to just getting pre loaded Windows.
If they really want to feel proud of themselves, they should try installing Windows.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 am

BigEasy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:32 am
Lysander666 wrote:
I'm throwing this out there because I don't know how to address this effectively. I see on this forum so many posts about how people are proud to use Mint or proud to have left Windows. But why?
Yup. I don't want to pay for software. What came free with Linux (SuSE, in my case) was something like $299 for the Windows version.

Imagine, it only took 2.5 years of learning Linux! :lol:
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:40 am

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 am
Yup. I don't want to pay for software. What came free with Linux (SuSE, in my case) was something like $299 for the Windows version.
Imagine, it only took 2.5 years of learning Linux! :lol:
Exactly! This is why we (me too) proud about... ourselves.

rickNS
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rickNS » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:30 pm

I think grateful is the word I would use for the privilege of using Linux Mint. I am however very proud of the creator, the developers, maintainers for making, and distributing this wonderful OS the way they do. I'm also very, very proud of the forum helpers a few in no particular order; Cosmo, Karlchen, altar4, pjotr, catweazel, spearmint2, xenopeek, and more, whom without, many a newbee may not have survived their Linux experience. Very smart, and patient people.

THANKS EVERYONE!

OPTIONAL READING; My last windows was vista, when IE became out of date, (and unable to update that, umm) I believe windows 8 was already out. One look at win8 and I vowed I'd never use that, and I haven't. When the Bill tries to dictate when you need new hardware, by blocking a browser update. it's time to give him the boot. That 11 year old vista laptop I gave to my mom (73 YO) is still happily running with mint 18.0
Mint 18 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

Nate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nate » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:08 am

For me, it's not so much a feeling of pride as freedom. I like to customise my experience. I like that I have a wide variety of choices for things like the desktop environment or file manager I use. I like that some of them can be tailored quite well so you still get a snappy and functional experience on a wide variety of devices from new tablets to decade old PCs. I like that if I have the technical ability, I can legally modify most of the software I use as it is open source under a GPL license. I've had the exact opposite experience with the newest versions of Windows. I get nagged for updates which it will eventually try and install anyway, I click a box to download something later and it does it in the background anyway (supposing it asks at all), I've encountered the odd third party tool for customisation, but they never allow me to do all that much and half the time cost a pretty penny.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:38 pm

It's Linux. It's not Windows.

We have control over how it looks, and how it acts.

We can get software to do whatever we want. Well, except for printing to a Canon Pro-100...

And the Mint team keeps it trimmed down, simple and well-behaved.

I've tried so many Linux distros over the years, and have always run into a problem or a disappointment. Even Mint, back in 2006 gave me an issue or two. But the team here responds quickly and makes things easy(er) than other distros, and have a rock solid product.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Rayland-BH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rayland-BH » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:57 am

rickNS wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:30 pm
I think grateful is the word I would use for the privilege of using Linux Mint.
I could not have put how I feel about Linux any better. I am no coder, nor have I a particularly deep understanding of how computers work. And yet, computers govern nearly every aspect of my existence. And thus, I need people smarter than me to make sure that they function correctly, safely, and to my benefit (as opposed to their own). So the idea of a community of smart people freely giving of their time and talents to make that possible blows me away. And on top of that, they even invite little old me to the party, even though I have so little to contribute (except money, when I can afford it).

So I guess I am not proud of "my" Linux, as I am simply a user. But I am proud of the community at large for such a monumental achievement, and I am honored to be a tiny little part of it.

all41
Level 12
Level 12

Post by all41 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:11 am

@Rayland-BH
Well stated. Every post in this thread defines us.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:17 am

Freedom.

Return to “Chat about Linux”