Why I no longer use Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxMintNorge

Post by LinuxMintNorge »

1. It does not support my Soundblaster z sound card.
2. It does not support bank time on file.
3. It does not automatically support usb3

I am using Linux Mint on the laptop and am satisfied
But should I check digital mail and log in to other necessary government accounts, I have to use win10 on my desktop computer.

The shortcomings linux have makes me use the desktop computer with win10 for the most part. And sorry to say that. I have used Linux since Linux Suse 7.2 came out, and see that Linux depends on technology just more and more! Mn does not mind installing a system that just sends back to windows more and more, due to the most necessary lack of technical solutions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Why I no longer use Linux?

Post by catweazel »

LinuxMintNorge wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:59 am Why I no longer use Linux?
1. It does not support my Soundblaster z sound card.
It has been made to work.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... 443&page=4 for example.
http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=741501 for example.
2. It does not support bank time on file.
Whatever that may mean.
3. It does not automatically support usb3
lol - sure it does, since 2009.

I guess the adage is true, a bad tradesman always blames his tools.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

LinuxMintNorge wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:59 am Linux depends on technology just more and more!
Sorry, what do you mean by this?

Also:
are you looking for help or do you just want to talk about this? Because that would be fine too, but then this topic should be moved to the Chat section.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Linux isn't for everybody ... you don't need to be a geek hobbyist but you do need to be willing to look under the hood, and do your own research.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

USB 3 has worked out of the box since I've been using Mint 17.1 through 18.3.
LinuxMintNorge wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:59 am ...
But should I check digital mail and log in to other necessary government accounts, I have to use win10 on my desktop computer.

The shortcomings linux have makes me use the desktop computer with win10 for the most part.
That is not a shortcoming of Linux, but the narrowed choice of the "digital mail" and "government accounts" you use.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Everybody must use, what (s)he likes at most. So if you have found now after more than 15 years(!) of Linux usage that W10 is best to you, than use it - and bear with it. But trying to argue about with strange remarks (mentioned in the posts by catweazel and Moem) does neither make this understandable nor does it make any sense.
LinuxMintNorge

Post by LinuxMintNorge »

Yes, I thought there would be sour feedback on that mail.

But let me explain what "bank id is.

If I have to access my pages at the Swedish Tax Office, I have to login with bank ID. In order to use Bank ID on a computer, i must log in to my bank and host a new Bank ID on file via a wizard. Once you have organized a new bank ID, i must set up an application in Win10 that automatically launches "Bank ID program" when logging in to pages that require exactly this. To access my patient page 1177 in Sweden, I have to login with this system.

Where is the Linux program that allows me to log in with Bank ID?

The old pclinux forums pages about Sound Balster Z are old and no longer work, have tested them. The file no longer exists.

And of course, I can use Win10 instead of Mint. I just point out the real facts here. How you choose to take this is completely up to you.

And no, usb3 does not work automatically on the desktop computer, as it does with my latop. Can not remember now, but one must write something in the groub file and restart / reconfigure Groub in console. And restart the computer, so usb3 works. But automatically after the first start! No.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

LinuxMintNorge wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 pm Where is the Linux program that allows me to log in with Bank ID?
The proper place to direct that question is via the contact details at https://www.bankid.com
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

LinuxMintNorge wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 pm ...
Where is the Linux program that allows me to log in with Bank ID?
You should ask your bank that question.
LinuxMintNorge wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 pm ...
And no, usb3 does not work automatically on the desktop computer, as it does with my latop. Can not remember now, but one must write something in the groub file and restart / reconfigure Groub in console. And restart the computer, so usb3 works. But automatically after the first start! No.
For you that may be true, but no matter how many times you say it, doesn't make it true for all. Mine, and I'm sure a ton of others will attest that USB 3 works in Linux Mint for laptops and desktops without needing to "write something".
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Typical case of PEBKAC. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

LinuxMintNorge wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 pm Yes, I thought there would be sour feedback on that mail.
Isn't that exactly why you wrote it?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

I think some of the problem here may be with the language barrier, the OP might not be able to clearly express thoughts in a different language.

I don't understand the problems with the bank. Are you saying your bank requires a specific app to log in? Usually using Chromium works fine for me with logging into banks or health portals. Sometimes in the past though, I have had to install Google Chrome to get the login to work. Don't change the default settings of the browser and it should work. I've had trouble with Firefox and secure logins in the past.

I have never had problems getting USB 3 to work, and never heard of having to customize anything to get it to work. I have no idea what you are saying about USB 3 not working.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Can't you just change banks? I've closed accounts with some of them for smaller things. Why should they make interest off your money if they're not willing to cater to your needs?
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

MintBean wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:08 pm
LinuxMintNorge wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 pm Where is the Linux program that allows me to log in with Bank ID?
The proper place to direct that question is via the contact details at https://www.bankid.com
Don't US Linux users have the same problem with doing taxes? There is no TaxAct, TurboTax or H&RBlock desktop app for Linux, therefore a Window's machine is required.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

JerryF wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:44 pm USB 3 has worked out of the box since I've been using Mint 17.1 through 18.3.

The shortcomings linux have makes me use the desktop computer with win10 for the most part.
That is not a shortcoming of Linux, but the narrowed choice of the "digital mail" and "government accounts" you use.
It IS Linux at fault if the user wants to use what he/she usually uses and Linux can't support it. This is also known as blaming the victim.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Or we could blame the banks and other organisations. They should be supporting Linux. If it's too hard in a dedicated application, let your users have the option to use a browser. It's ridiculous to restrict them to one OS and one version of that OS.

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

The shortcomings linux have makes me use the desktop computer with win10 for the most part....
It's funny the reason I started using Linux is because of what MS did on Win10. I was hoping they would make it likable just like Win98 (after Win95 fail), WinXP (after WinME fail), and Win7 (after Vista fail). I thought the trend would continue after Win8 fail, but I was wrong. :(

So I started preparing to dump Windows by looking for alternatives and familiarizing myself with them. Good thing there is Linux, especially Linux Mint. :)

The first thing I did on my most recent laptop bought which came pre-loaded with Win10 was to install Linux Mint. :lol:
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
quangcao3m

Post by quangcao3m »

I think depend on what you use and what you do on linux. Some software is not on linux, but linux still be a good OS for IT and Security
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:22 pm Typical case of PEBKAC. :lol:
I used to work cold call tech support. Yeah, I know PEBKAC (or PEBCAK) very well indeed!
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Moem wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:12 am Or we could blame the banks and other organisations. They should be supporting Linux. If it's too hard in a dedicated application, let your users have the option to use a browser. It's ridiculous to restrict them to one OS and one version of that OS.
Here, here! I agree 100%. Locking users into one OS smacks of collusion.

Return to “Chat about Linux”