Bèta 1 is out for some *buntu 18.04 flavours!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Bèta 1 is out for some *buntu 18.04 flavours!

Post by Pjotr »

Some flavours of *buntu, have released bèta 1 of 18.04 Bionic Beaver today!

Nice stuff. Get your hands on it here:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/mile ... 387/builds

Click on the flavour you want, and then on: "Link to the download information".

Happy testing. :mrgreen:

Note: the devs will be particularly happy if you report any bugs you find, on the qatracker. It's always a struggle for the devs of the smaller flavours, to find enough testers and bug reporters in this stage of development....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Bèta 1 is out for some *buntu 18.04 flavours!

Post by rickNS »

Xubuntu 18 has been out for a couple of months. I tried it briefly.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

rickNS wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:03 am Xubuntu 18 has been out for a couple of months.
No it hasn't.... It'll be released in April, together with Ubuntu. :)

So far, there have only been daily builds and alpha's:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseSchedule

This first bèta is already very close to the final thing, as both Feature Freeze and Debian Import Freeze are already in force....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Don't want to argue I know you are very smart, but this video is dated Jan 1st,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAkibIpOeHU
and I did have it installed myself, no dream.
EDIT; Yes it was a "daily build"
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

And some flavours are keen to get people with 32-bit machines to test the 32-bit versions on bare metal. Apparently, they're getting v.little feedback from that segment. For Kubuntu: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubun ... 11585.html
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Running Ubuntu itself on two machines that previously were not supported. GDM still has some issues occasionally and last week there was some breakage with AMD graphics. It is coming along though and I am sure it will be in great shape by the April 26th release date. :)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

rickNS wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:12 am Don't want to argue I know you are very smart, but this video is dated Jan 1st,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAkibIpOeHU
and I did have it installed myself, no dream.
EDIT; Yes it was a "daily build"
You're confusing releases. That one was the Apha 1 RC. This is the beta.

And there's a difference. IMO you just have to be somewhat nuts to install a beta OS release if you're somewhat less than expert. You'd have to be completely nuts to install an alpha.

Not saying the less than pro users shouldn't do this, just do it on a spare computer you don't need.

And develop some CLI recovery chops first. It's almost guaranteed to break at some point after an update. Not the usual nice polite Linux crash either. And you'll get a lot of updates.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Note: the devs will be particularly happy if you report any bugs you find, on the qatracker. It's always a struggle for the devs of the smaller flavours, to find enough testers and bug reporters in this stage of development....
Please do this. Not only do you make Ubuntu better, you also help make derivates like upcoming Mint19 better.
GDM still has some issues occasionally and last week there was some breakage with AMD graphics
It wasn't just AMD graphics. It broke graphics in general. Both myself and another of the Mint devs, one on intel and one on Nvidia, got bit by this. To the credit of the devs they identified this issue and pushed out a fix the same day.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Wayland has really come a long way since the last time I tried it! Aside from a couple quirks it is very usable now. :D
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

exploder wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:02 pm Wayland has really come a long way since the last time I tried it! Aside from a couple quirks it is very usable now. :D
It's certainly gotten better. I tried it for awhile but still was running into weird issues like sometimes not being able to select a window. Some HiDPI issues. And of course it not working at all with Nvidia which is the biggest issue.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Chat about Linux”