Worldwide OS Share Statistics

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Worldwide OS Share Statistics

Post by Pierre »

since there is more than one statistical site, then I've always gone for the one mentioned by Ozo
http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share
8)
and that's the one that I'm always quoting . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:02 pmFF swears that I am using Win7, and that makes the banks I use so much happier. :lol:
My bank website worked fine on Firefox and does so also with Waterfox, no UAS needed.
The browser must be reporting something as they seem to know I'm using Linux. I'm not offered the Trusteer software I was encouraged to install when I used Windows 7. Same browser (at the time).

I suspect it's much easier to collect stats from Windows and Android devices than those running Linux, not sure about Mac as I don't know much about those OSs. I wonder if ISO downloads are counted? In that case many aren't committed to hardware. I for example keep all the relevant ISOs for the Linux Mint 17.3 and 18.3 series plus a number of others. Arch is installed but only in a couple of VMs so far.

I think the only way to be sure of the number of Linux users (which people may object to) is if, after a month or two, running systems send an instalation date along with the OS version to show which systems have been adopted and are actually in use.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Ozo wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:25 pm I am wondering how accurate these stats are?
Accurate for what? OS wars is what it looks like.
They use it to sell toasters.
Lies, damn lies, and "statistics"

Dubious.

Return to “Chat about Linux”