Worldwide OS Share Statistics

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

Worldwide OS Share Statistics

Post by Ozo »

I am wondering how accurate these stats are?

Browser stats and more are available too.

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Worldwide OS Share Statistics

Post by BenTrabetere »

Ozo wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:25 pm I am wondering how accurate these stats are?
I would peg it at somewhere between Somewhat Accurate and Low. The stats are useful for what they are, but they do not come close to providing a complete picture. And they provide very little meaningful, useful information.

The FAQ describes the methodology as a web analytic, which pretty much eliminates any device not used to browse the interwebs. Also, I find the sample size by country to be a little suspect - the sample size for Turkey is 20,000x that of Japan.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Since Android is based off of Linux, it proves once again that Linux is the number 1 operating system in the world.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Impossible to judge because it mixes apples with lug nuts.

This one looks right-er:
DesktopOSShare.png
In your face BSD!

And the one here at least shows Linux beating "Unknown": https://netmarketshare.com/operating-sy ... 1000%22%7D

Side Note: Does anyone know where I can download the unknown.iso?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

BenTrabetere wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:24 pm the sample size for Turkey is 20,000x that of Japan.
That might only indicate that certain people have lives.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:33 pm Since Android is based off of Linux, it proves once again that Linux is the number 1 operating system in the world.
Android isn't Linux like Ubuntu or Mate, which are GNU/Linux. Yes there's a difference. Android just uses their own patched version of the Linux kernel in a proprietary wrapper, and they're going to drop that kernel soon for their own.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Here are yet more different results:

https://amiunique.org/

Code: Select all

42.80 % of observed browsers are Firefox, as yours.
14.60 % of observed browsers run Linux, as yours.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Flemur wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:57 am Here are yet more different results:

https://amiunique.org/

42.80 % of observed browsers are Firefox, as yours.
:lol:

2.54 % of observed browsers are Opera, as yours.
0.05 % of observed browsers are Opera 51.0, as yours.
0.23 % of observed browsers have set "fi"as their primary language, as yours.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

The first stat appears to be platforn-independent, I think the one posted by administrollaattori better represents the results with "Mobile" in a separate category. If that category were then subdivided I'd expect a similarly small percentage for Linux.

One important thing though. I would expect that a significantly higher proportion of Linux users will have blocked such statistic collection methods. This could significantly affect the results. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

BG405 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:58 pm One important thing though. I would expect that a significantly higher proportion of Linux users will have blocked such statistic collection methods. This could significantly affect the results. :mrgreen:
Most of linux-users uses adblockers, and adblockers prevent to get some data.
http://gs.statcounter.com/faq#methodology
By collating our data in this way, we track the activity of third party visitors to our member websites. We do not calculate our stats based on the activity of our members alone.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Ozo wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:25 pm I am wondering how accurate these stats are?

Browser stats and more are available too.

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share
As far as Internet connected devices, in my little world I believe this is kinda realistic.
It seems that everyone from toddlers to the elderly are actively using their phone or tablets. Many have disposed of their computers and laptops (swap meet bargains!)

My wife has a sweet laptop that she loves (Debian Stretch Mate) but spends most of her "computing" time on her tablet or phone. Because it is Mobile.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, according to data I just made up five minutes ago, OS usage in my household is 50% Android-Linux, 25% Mac OS X, and 25% GNU+Linux.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

sdibaja wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:14 pm spends most of her "computing" time on her tablet or phone
.. and herein lies another valid point.

What many people call "computing" nowadays is in fact nothing more than media consumption. Those of us who were there in the early days of accessible (and home) computing probably wouldn't class watching an online video as "computing". I know I don't! :roll: Now, creating & editing a video .. but these mobile devices aren't exactly suitable for that.

I suspect those stats would be different if minimum useability and capability were included as a factor, including the ability to connect a keyboard, pointing device and other peripherals.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I do use "User Agent Switcher" at times in Firefox to spoof as a different OS and browser if a webpage won't show properly otherwise. I suspect many other Linux users do the same.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

Portreve wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:25 pm Well, according to data I just made up five minutes ago, OS usage in my household is 50% Android-Linux, 25% Mac OS X, and 25% GNU+Linux.
And that of my household, with the same anecdotal accuracy:
30% OS X
35% iOS
25% GNU+Linux (pretty much all me, except when my child and I play a round of Open Arena)
5% Android-Linux (a Kindle, rarely used)
5% or less Windows-- and that's only when I have to work remotely from home.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

BG405 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:58 pm
One important thing though. I would expect that a significantly higher proportion of Linux users will have blocked such statistic collection methods. This could significantly affect the results. :mrgreen:
FF swears that I am using Win7, and that makes the banks I use so much happier. :lol:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

FF swears that I am using Win7, and that makes the banks I use so much happier
:lol: :lol:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Lucky enough that there is no need for "User Agent Switcher". It seems all the sites I visit are Linux friendly.

Return to “Chat about Linux”