What other distros do you guys like? Arch/Manjaro? Straight Debian? Something else???

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vansloneker

Re: What other distros do you guys like? Arch/Manjaro? Straight Debian? Something else???

Post by vansloneker »

Well, turn it on again. It's not the end of the world. A good modern system turns it on well within 60 seconds.
But it's just my two cents. If I turn a system on or off, that's what I want to, no waiting, no confirmations.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What other distros do you guys like? Arch/Manjaro? Straight Debian? Something else???

Post by Arch_Enemy »

vansloneker wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:26 pm Well, turn it on again. It's not the end of the world. A good modern system turns it on well within 60 seconds.
But it's just my two cents. If I turn a system on or off, that's what I want to, no waiting, no confirmations.
Powering off and on is more stress on a device than just leaving it on.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if you really want to try something DIFFERENT try https://kaosx.us/ it is ONLY 64bit so no .wine but very stable
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:30 pm
vansloneker wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:26 pm Well, turn it on again. It's not the end of the world. A good modern system turns it on well within 60 seconds.
You can have the last word.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

vansloneker wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:50 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:30 pm
You can have the last word.
Thank you. I was an electronics tech for 22 years, and then a Dell tech for the last 12.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
ctrl+alt+fashion

Post by ctrl+alt+fashion »

Ooops lost track of my own thread :lol:

So I ended up getting secure boot squared away and I'm running debian sid and so far no regrets! I had LDME running decently well but I didn't like that its on such an old version of debian atm. Hopefully my "unstable" system will stay as stable as it is now haha but otherwise I think mint will remain as my backup/super stable/always there linux system but debian sid is my new day to day! Like a grown fish, I've moved upstream :lol: :lol: :lol:
Penn

Post by Penn »

ctrl+alt+fashion wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:41 pm Ooops lost track of my own thread :lol:

So I ended up getting secure boot squared away and I'm running debian sid and so far no regrets! I had LDME running decently well but I didn't like that its on such an old version of debian atm. Hopefully my "unstable" system will stay as stable as it is now haha but otherwise I think mint will remain as my backup/super stable/always there linux system but debian sid is my new day to day! Like a grown fish, I've moved upstream :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sid is what could be viewed as the Debian rolling release version. If you find that a bit too much instability but still want a bit more of a rolling practice then you might want to go to testing which is currently Buster.

I agree, right now the stable version of Debian doesn't have an LMDE version using it as a base almost 1 full year after the base release which is too long. This also means LMDE 2 is nearly a full year into extended support. It doesn't make enough of a difference for me to dump LMDE 2 for Stretch but if I needed to reinstall on my LMDE machine I would go Stretch. 7 days left in the first quarter of 2018 and LMDE 3 at last time estimate was due in the first quarter. I guess they missed that and haven't given an updated release estimation. I guess it is too much effort to even acknowledged missing the estimated timeline.

LMDE has gone from being just a bit lower on the priority list than other Mint flavors to being nothing more than an afterthought. I'll still use LMDE 3 when it comes out but if Debian continues their recent trend in another year I will evaluate this decision again and will base my decision on Mint's actions during that year in regards to LMDE.

Meanwhile, I don't intend to convert my secondary machine from Stretch to LMDE 3 when it eventually gets released.
ctrl+alt+fashion

yeah I was kind of planning to stay on testing but then I decided to just jump the gun lol. Like I said, my install is actually really stable right now after tweaking it all yesterday so I think I might actually be able to keep this thing running solid as my day to day. I think I'll keep mint as my sort of "fall-back" install but when it's time to update, I seriously may just do a debian stable.

Or maybe it'll fall apart tomorrow and I'll be eating everything I just said and stay on mint forever :P
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

ctrl+alt+fashion wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:38 pm yeah I was kind of planning to stay on testing but then I decided to just jump the gun lol. Like I said, my install is actually really stable right now after tweaking it all yesterday so I think I might actually be able to keep this thing running solid as my day to day. I think I'll keep mint as my sort of "fall-back" install but when it's time to update, I seriously may just do a debian stable.

Or maybe it'll fall apart tomorrow and I'll be eating everything I just said and stay on mint forever :P
Could happen. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based on Debian, we're still running Debian. Sort of.

I went to Debian a while ago, and while I was OK with it, the packages Ubuntu brings to the mix break the deal. The Debian control panel leaves something to be desired (IMHO, the absolute best Control Panel in is PCLinuxOS. Get that, Clem? ;) )
I just couldn't get some packages I liked to run on Debian even though they were .deb packages, and I was running the stable version.

I had enough with a 'rolling release' model with Arch... :twisted:

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ctrl+alt+fashion wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:15 am Basically I want something that "just works" like mint but offers something closer to rolling updates / "the cutting edge". I consider myself a Linux intermediate, what else do you guys like to run?
Namib linux KDE is beautiful, and arch-based.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ctrl+alt+fashion

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:45 pm Could happen. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based on Debian, we're still running Debian. Sort of.

I went to Debian a while ago, and while I was OK with it, the packages Ubuntu brings to the mix break the deal. The Debian control panel leaves something to be desired (IMHO, the absolute best Control Panel in is PCLinuxOS. Get that, Clem? ;) )
I just couldn't get some packages I liked to run on Debian even though they were .deb packages, and I was running the stable version.
Ah your the second one to mention PCLinuxOS to me now, it does actually sound very interesting and I think it's kind of awesome that it's run by just one guy haha. But yeah linux mint is great and all but I kinda think it makes more sense to cut out the middle man and move upstream. and I'd lowkey love to see them move away from conical. Also I've never tried it but word is you can get PPAs to work under debian pretty easily
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

LM v18.3 Mate is my every day distro but I run Namib Mate, Manjaro Cinnamon, Antergos Mate, and Fedora Mate in Virtual Box, so that I can have some variety without upsetting the stability I need for day to day computing.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

ctrl+alt+fashion wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:12 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:45 pm Could happen. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based on Debian, we're still running Debian. Sort of.

Ah your the second one to mention PCLinuxOS to me now, it does actually sound very interesting and I think it's kind of awesome that it's run by just one guy haha. But yeah linux mint is great and all but I kinda think it makes more sense to cut out the middle man and move upstream. and I'd lowkey love to see them move away from conical. Also I've never tried it but word is you can get PPAs to work under debian pretty easily
I like PCLinuxOS. The only problem is IIRC it's ONE guy running the show, and if something gets too difficult to maintain it goes out the window. He did away with all the 32-bit libs a while back and some of my software stopped running, and there is no 64-bit alternatives. Other than that, it works well.

Return to “Chat about Linux”