What is the point of using Linux inside a Virtual Machine?

Chat about Linux in general
mediclaser
Level 2
Level 2

What is the point of using Linux inside a Virtual Machine?

Post by mediclaser » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm just wondering why would people use Linux inside a Virtual Machine in Windows other than for testing purposes (or similar reasons). For me, the main reason I am using Linux is for better security against viruses and malware. There would be no point for me to use Linux if I would just settle with a Windows-hosted virtual machine. I could be wrong, but I think that setup is not as secure as running Linux by itself. Please educate me if I'm wrong.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: What is the point of using Linux inside a Virtual Machine?

Post by MintBean » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:09 pm

Possibly if you want Windows for gaming/software compatibility, but want to run one or two Linux only programs. Personally I'm with you. Linux is my main OS for stability,security and configurability reasons. Windows stays locked in a VM where it can be kept under control.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:18 pm

I use Mint VMs on a daily basis for testing purposes, for checking things, which I need for giving help advices and such things. So I have quick access to all (currently supported) versions of Mint; doing the same with dual booting would be far to circumstantial. A special advantage for testing things is, that I can fully revert a system by using VB snapshots. Something similar, but not fully identical, can be done with TimeShift, but VB snapshots are quicker to use and there is no need to plan the needed space for snapshots inside of the virtual drives.
Host is also Mint.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:29 pm

The only reason I can fathom for using linux in a win hosted vb is maybe for browsing and email to prevent win from getting a nasty virus :?

Otherwise I see no advantage of it.
ImageImage

mediclaser
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mediclaser » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:35 pm

MintBean wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:09 pm
Possibly if you want Windows for gaming/software compatibility, but want to run one or two Linux only programs. Personally I'm with you. Linux is my main OS for stability,security and configurability reasons. Windows stays locked in a VM where it can be kept under control.
But you could set up dual-boot to keep your Windows-only games and keep your Linux sessions more secure (compared to running it in VM), right?

mediclaser
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mediclaser » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:18 pm
I use Mint VMs on a daily basis for testing purposes, for checking things, which I need for giving help advices and such things. So I have quick access to all (currently supported) versions of Mint; doing the same with dual booting would be far to circumstantial. A special advantage for testing things is, that I can fully revert a system by using VB snapshots. Something similar, but not fully identical, can be done with TimeShift, but VB snapshots are quicker to use and there is no need to plan the needed space for snapshots inside of the virtual drives.
Host is also Mint.
I guess you are agreeing with my proposition on my original post, right? Running in VM makes sense for testing (and similar) purposes.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:46 pm

I agree.

mediclaser
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mediclaser » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:51 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:29 pm
The only reason I can fathom for using linux in a win hosted vb is maybe for browsing and email to prevent win from getting a nasty virus :?

Otherwise I see no advantage of it.
Oh, are you saying if I open an email containing malware in a Linux email client (that is run inside a VM), it would prevent it from infecting Windows? So, which one prevents the malware from infecting Windows...the VM or the Linux in the VM (or is it a combination of both)?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Linux in the VM protects itself, the VM with properly done settings protects Windows, as the malware cannot break out, if you do not open the doors (e. via shared folder or clipboard sharing).

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 pm

mediclaser wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:51 pm
Oh, are you saying if I open an email containing malware in a Linux email client (that is run inside a VM), it would prevent it from infecting Windows?
Simply put malware scripts/macros cannot execute in the linux environment so therefore it can't infect anything.
ImageImage

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:57 am

You may want to keep Windows for gaming. If I was a gamer I certainly would. Then if you run Linux in the VM, Windows doesn't take the performance hit.

ctrl+alt+fashion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ctrl+alt+fashion » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:40 pm

I have windows on all my machines, on my laptop I also have mint and debian "dual" boots that I use 90% of the time. On my BIG desktop/gaming rig I really only use it for gaming, so I use linux for just a few things and it's easier to just fireup the vm instead of rebooting. Plus on my gaming rig VMs run very nicely thanks to having lots of RAM, an SSD, and an 8 core CPU :D

AndyMH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AndyMH » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:54 pm

I can't imagine why I would want to run linux on a windows host inside a VM. It's the wrong way round!! I run win7 in a VM because I have to - work. The only reason I can think of running linux in a VM is to try out other distros - but why would I, I like mint.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T420 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:40 pm

My daily driver is Mint 17.3, but I try out other distros in VirtualBox now and then. Also, it's very convenient to keep an install of all current versions of Mint in case somebody asks a question related to a version I'm not familiar with. Just fire it up in VB to help solve somebody's problem.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Chat about Linux”