A nice letter thanking linux distribution, 1st robotics Comp.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DAMIEN1307

A nice letter thanking linux distribution, 1st robotics Comp.

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi folks...this is a letter that came from one of my linux "students" who is enrolled in what i believe is called the 1st Robotics Competitions, that are run for students in competing schools all around the US...i dont know if other countries run something like this as well...i am editing his last name as the boy in question is still a minor at 16 yrs old and that is why his parents have requested me to post this in appropriate linux forums as they deem it unwise for him to do so just yet at his age level as well as the fact he is in a military family, so here goes...there is much hope and promise in the younger generation...DAMIEN

PS...i did want to post in the "other" appropriate forum where all of this started from, but the powers that be over there have deemed it necessary to ban me for life which i mentioned in "other topics" under "censorship" in the LM forum...so mote it be...if someone else here is a member of that forum, please feel free to post the letter below under their "general discussion" forum under "1st Tech Challenge, robotics" etc listing and found, last i knew, on page six of that entry...i think it would be nice for them to know...they have a decent system to be used for this purpose and these computers were older, lower powered systems that could not withstand any bloat whatsoever and thats why i had chosen it to be used...DAMIEN

Hello,

My name is Gabe St*****r. This season, I was one of the programmers and drivers of the FTC team Starry Knights. We are located in Alamogordo, NM, at the Imago Dei Academy Where we do our building and programming.

This season was tough, we had a lot of problems with ordering parts for our robot, which caused us to be behind in our build. We got our robot built right before the competition, and had no experience driving it. Needless to say, in the competition, we did not do very well. We ended being in 12th place out of 13 teams.

The programming aspect was great, we learned to work in java, and fix bugs in coding. We also set up a USB as a personal programming computer to take with us wherever we go. special thanks to Damien1307 for giving us some computers that had Eclipse and Peppermint Linux on them already. Damien1307 also donated 4 similar computers with Peppermint Linux on them to the church I go to. This is for the purpose of teaching youth there computer skills and how to use Peppermint Linux.

Despite our season being over, we are continuing to fundraise for the next season, so that we can possibly avoid delayed and backordered items. We hope to start next season with better time management and realistic goals in order to build our robot in a timely manner.

Once again, we thank you for your support of our team, the resources were put to very good use this season.

Sincerely,
Gabe St*****r
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: A nice letter thanking linux distribution, 1st robotics Comp.

Post by MrEen »

Good kid! Thanks for sharing that! :)
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Fantastic letter, thank you Gabe and Damien for sharing! Wish you all the best! And a better placement at next competitions :D
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Nice.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Chat about Linux”