What are your most used keyboard shortcuts?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcsailor

What are your most used keyboard shortcuts?

Post by pcsailor »

Hi all,

I am new to Linux, and Mint and have been getting along fine with Google but there are few 'little' things I haven't found yet, or found out how to do. And yet I'm sure it's really easy and I'm missing it. (Like for example, how do you drag program icons onto the lower Taskbar, not the side Panel, but the lower one. Is this too Windows thinking?)

So I am curious, what are your most used keyboard shortcuts in Linux. Just one!

I ask because coming from Windows, there was always something I could learn, some shortcut I never used that I should have been.

Thought I'd ask here.

Thanks,
Phil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What are your most used keyboard shortcuts?

Post by tenfoot »

Hi pcsailor

You don't mention which Desktop, Environment you use - Cinnamon, Mate, or xfce. If you require help in setting up desktop shortcuts, it would help people to help you if you did so.

I use the built in ones for accessing the internet and my email and 10 Custom ones, as follows:

ConvertAll
Dropbox
Gramps
Inkscape
KMyMoney
LibreOffice
Scribus
Terminal
Text Editor
In each case the key combination is Mode4+ <the initial letter of the application>
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Easy. Ctrl+S, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

pcsailor wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:37 pm what are your most used keyboard shortcuts in Linux. Just one!
Why do you write "are" and "shortcuts", if you want not more than one?

Mine is: alt-left
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

To select all text on a page: Ctrl a
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:53 am To select all text on a page: Ctrl a
Mine too, but more to select all files in a folder. I don;t actually use that many keyboard short cuts.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Ctrl-Shift - change keyboard layout and Alt-F4 - everybody knows what it is. Nothing else. Wait. I don't count Ctrl-C ,V, X.
More interesting question should be: "what keyboard shortcut you NEVER used in Linux?" Answer: Ctrl-Alt-Del.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

JosephM wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:06 am Easy. Ctrl+S, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V
Add Ctrl+P and Ctrl+A, and that pretty much sums it up for me too.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Favorite shortcuts are the one I added myself.

I set Ctrl+Alt+X to run xkill. Gives you a crosshair mouse cursor. Left-click on a window to kill the process. Right-click to abort and not kill anything.

And I set Super+D to bash -c "gnome-dictionary --look-up=$(xsel | tr '\n' ' ' | sed -r 's/^[^[:alpha:]]*([-[:alpha:]]*).*$/\1/') &>/dev/null" which looks up the definition of the word you have highlighted in the Gnome Dictionary.

Check that you have the used commands installed of course if you want to do the same. First just needs xkill. Second needs gnome-dictionary and xsel.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Ctrl+scroll wheel is handy for zooming in the browser
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Ctl-mouse wheel to zoom the browser
ctl-c
ctl-v
ctl-alt-f ( Firefox )
ctl-alt-t ( terminal )
shift-ctl-v ( to paste something from the browser into Terminal's command line
ctl-q to quit just about anything
ctl-w to quit some things, to drop a browser tab, etc... to exit a program, especially browsers...
alt-F4 to quit a lot of things, even some things that ctl-q won't make quit, the Terminal also.
alt-c to produce "°F" for when I am posting 46°F here at the moment
.........( that one requires the use of AutoKey to be installed

ctl-b to bold/unbold highlighted stuff
alt-f-u to get LibreOffice documents list ( recently used )
alt-v to bring up the View command list in almost any app
alt-b to bring up the Browser bookmarks, then a single key or the same key twice to get to a website
........... ie, alt-b L brings up UnRead Posts in Linux Mint forums
ctl-n to get a new page, document, etc.
ctl-shift-n to create a new folder in Nemo
alt-e to bring up Nemo ( ala Windows key for File Manager....

nearly 100% of the Windows shortcut keys are duplicated in Cinnamon, which I really really appreciate, as I am a 100 wpm typist and shortcuts beat the hell out of a mouse to select something.

ctl-x to copy a lighted line ( deletes it to paste it elsewhere )
ctl-Tab to skip thru a lot of tabs in my browser, something that I am constantly doing,

alt-s to pop up the History list in FF
ctl-a to highlight everything inside a tab/editor/ etc...
enter to delete a lot of stuff and then ctl-v to replace all of the ctl-a material

to me, an app that won't support shortcut keys is not worth having period, that is why I am so fond of Windows MS Office, I have a lot of macros written for MS Office..... I am trying to make those work in LibreOffice, but it is extremely difficult... so, MS Office will be with me for a long time

there are more that I use, but until the need for them arises, I can't think of them....
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
pcsailor

Post by pcsailor »

Wow, a lot of good stuff here I will need to digest.
I am on Linux Mint Cinnamon BTW, dual-booted on a Dell XPS13 with Win10, SSD-1TB.
I'm quite happy with the setup for my laptop.
I'm using Hyper-V-LxMnt-Cin on my desktop (PowerSpec-Microcenter build)
In Windows, the Win-Key with Tab lets you open multiple Desktop environments. Is there such a thing in Linux-Mint-Cin?
I'll comment and answer some other questions below.
Cheers,
Phil
pcsailor

Post by pcsailor »

Moem wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:25 am Just one? I'll give you 82! https://shortcutworld.com/Linux-Mint/li ... _Shortcuts
Thanks!!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pcsailor wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:00 am In Windows, the Win-Key with Tab lets you open multiple Desktop environments.
I think you're talking about workspaces. Try hitting Ctrl-Alt-arrow key.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pcsailor

Post by pcsailor »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:58 pm Favorite shortcuts are the one I added myself.

I set Ctrl+Alt+X to run xkill. Gives you a crosshair mouse cursor. Left-click on a window to kill the process. Right-click to abort and not kill anything.

And I set Super+D to bash -c "gnome-dictionary --look-up=$(xsel | tr '\n' ' ' | sed -r 's/^[^[:alpha:]]*([-[:alpha:]]*).*$/\1/') &>/dev/null" which looks up the definition of the word you have highlighted in the Gnome Dictionary.

Check that you have the used commands installed of course if you want to do the same. First just needs xkill. Second needs gnome-dictionary and xsel.
Awesome, thanks!
pcsailor

Post by pcsailor »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:36 am Ctl-....
Thanks, alot there!!
pcsailor

Post by pcsailor »

Moem wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:04 am
pcsailor wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:00 am In Windows, the Win-Key with Tab lets you open multiple Desktop environments.
I think you're talking about workspaces. Try hitting Ctrl-Alt-arrow key.
THAT, IS AWESOME!!! Thanks so much!! :idea: :D
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, given how Mac OS / Mac OS X "Finder"-like the various Gnome variants are (and, to be fair, KDE as well) I tend to use the same shortcuts I always have.

[CTRL] + [SHIFT] + [N] to create a new folder.
[ALT] + [UP ARROW] to open a folder (descend through the directory structure hierarchy)
[ALT] + [DOWN ARROW] to leave a folder for its parent (ascend through the directory structure hierarchy)
[F2] to rename a file or folder
[RIGHT ARROW] in a list view mode to expand the highlighted folder and reveal contents
[LEFT ARROW] in a list view mode to collapse the highlighted folder

Apart from basic file navigation chores, I generally prefer keyboard shortcuts over reaching for the mouse every darn time I want to do something...

[CTRL] + [ O ] to open
[CTRL] + [ N ] to create a new document
[CTRL] + [ P ] to print
[CTRL] + [ C ] to copy
[CTRL] + [ X ] to cut
[CTRL] + [ V ] to paste
‣ etc. and so forth

I also use the English (international AltGR dead keys) keyboard layout because it makes typing accented characters extremely intuitive. For example:

[Right Alt] + [SHIFT] + [~] followed by [SHIFT] + [ A ], [ E ], [ I ], [ N ], [ O ], [ U ], [ V ], or [ Y ] gets you Ã, Ẽ, Ĩ, Ñ, Õ, Ũ, Ṽ, or Ỹ respectively.

[Right Alt] + [SHIFT] + [~] [ A ], [ E ], [ I ], [ N ], [ O ], [ U ], [ V ], or [ Y ] gets you ã, ẽ, ĩ, ñ, õ, ũ, ṽ, or ỹ respectively.

[Right Alt] + [ S ] gets you ß.

You should also know that generally, [Right Alt] + [some-random-letter] gets you that letter with its most commonly-associated accent. [Right Alt] + [A] gives you á, [Right Alt] + [n] gives you ñ, etc.

[Right Alt] + [SHIFT] + ["] plus a variety of letters gets you the umlaut over them (ü, ö, ï, etc.)
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

When using terminal you can find previously entered commands by typing the first letter or two--then press the up arrow
to scroll through your previous entries
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Chat about Linux”