Mint OpenRC?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hd_scania

Mint OpenRC?

Post by hd_scania »

I'm an OpenRC advocate since recently which I still want to taste Cinnamon desktop, and I have 2 system for such demand, Calculate Cinnamon (CLDC) (https://www.calculate-linux.ru/en) and Devuan Cinnamon, where Calculate is sources-based but Devuan is Debian-based like Mint or Ubuntu but removes systemd. Are they good ideas for a Mint-like UX without systemd?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hd_scania

Re: Linux Mint Arch Edition?

Post by hd_scania »

I instead want the Gentoo base userland so you can study to install Cinnamon from source under just few commands and w/o the long long git procedures, and can be based on the OpenRC init system from Gentoo. Gentoo's emerge port system is quite beautiful and colorful. :)
lmuserx4849

Re: Mint OpenRC?

Post by lmuserx4849 »

hd_scania wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:24 pm I'm an OpenRC advocate since recently which I still want to taste Cinnamon desktop, and I have 2 system for such demand, Calculate Cinnamon (CLDC) (https://www.calculate-linux.ru/en) and Devuan Cinnamon, where Calculate is sources-based but Devuan is Debian-based like Mint or Ubuntu but removes systemd. Are they good ideas for a Mint-like UX without systemd?
I think the closest thing that can be said is Devuan is a fork of Debian, and Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian therefore they all use deb-packages. Cinnamon should be a similar experience. I don't think it has systemd dependencies at this time. The distro isn't going to be "Linux Mint Like" because it isn't Linux Mint; Every distribution does their own customizations.

You can search by init system, desktop, etc at distrowatch.
hd_scania

Any Cinnamon live DVDs + nosystemd OS other than CLDC?

Post by hd_scania »

By explored with Qt 5 languages there are many small programs which I'm satisfied, but still need to back to Cinnamon using Calculate CLDC (in parallel to and alongside the Qt small world), https://www.calculate-linux.ru/en, its base system is a rolling and nosystemd system which is better than Mint iteslf. Any other recommendations for Cinnamon live DVDs but nosystemd rolling systems? :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Any Cinnamon live DVDs + nosystemd OS other than CLDC?

Post by catweazel »

hd_scania wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:05 pm By explored with Qt 5 languages there are many small programs which I'm satisfied, but still need to back to Cinnamon using Calculate CLDC (in parallel to and alongside the Qt small world), https://www.calculate-linux.ru/en, its base system is a rolling and nosystemd system which is better than Mint iteslf. Any other recommendations for Cinnamon live DVDs but nosystemd rolling systems? :)
Why are you asking in an LMDE forum?

Moderator: moved to Chat about Linux.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's clear you don't want to use Linux Mint because it's using systemd init. I've merged your related topics and post. It's enough to have one topic about this.
deepclutch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deepclutch »

I'm also not liking systemd and looking for options after LMDE 2. @hd_scania:
MX Linux with Cinnamon may be an option to consider. It is fast, with lighter foot print and stable too. Another option is Devuan, Refracta etc. Devuan is lacking the volunteers to successfully clone the very large and vast Debian packages. Gnome 3 is essentially tied with systemd and even Gentoo without systemd can run Gnome 3 only with 3rd party hacks. This is how vast systemd has spread along. I know, it may be a great project and most of the Linux users are supporters of it and call us as tinfoil hats and conspiracy theorists. But, let us hope, that freedom ensuring the choice of init's exist in Linux sphere. I can only dream that Linux Mint with Cinnamon running on OpenRC or sysvinit, and completely free of any libsystemd's. Some dreams remain as dreams only.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

While we don't actively develop Cinnamon with the idea of it using anything besides Systemd, we do accept patches from people who want to use it that way as long as it doesn't break things for everyone else.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Chat about Linux”