Which discontinued project do you miss the most ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Which discontinued project do you miss the most ?

Post by Pierre »

the program Giver - - which was a neat way of copying your files over your local network.
:(

another that I've really liked,, was 4dos:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DOS
which was a command line interpreter like,, - replacement for command.com
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:04 am In some manner I miss DOS. Only because of the quick and simple Boot. You could be up and running using the program of your choice without all the add ons that a GUI requires. I DO NOT miss non GUI Word Processors though. The only app that I really miss is Clipper or dBase, Access did fill that gap but I really need to find something as easy to program in Linux.
+1 on DOS, even though unless you were running something like DesqView there was no such thing as Cut and Paste. I was a batch file maniac, and had Norton's Batch Enhancer to make things pretty.

Another thing was (has the statute of limitations expired...?) take a floppy, go to a directory and do copy *.* a:, take it home and do a: copy *.* c:\packagename and you usually had a new program...

and a ++1 on dBase III. Simple but powerful, and then you go to a computer at work, copy C:\Clipper\*.* a: and bring it home and you had a standalone database.

And one of the best things about Linux: You no longer have to be a pirate to have the latest software.

Arr...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i miss having a GUI file shredder https://code.google.com/archive/p/shredder/downloads i used this package in ubuntu 12.04 but i did edit the number of times to write over from 5 to 3 in shredding files i believe 1 time is good enough to destroy a file. i still have it in my downloads and works really well in debian and rpm systems, could not get it to work in arch. no doubt someone will explains danger of fileshredding and how it can be done commandline but that's not what i miss
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

trytip wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 am i miss having a GUI file shredder https://code.google.com/archive/p/shredder/downloads i used this package in ubuntu 12.04 but i did edit the number of times to write over from 5 to 3 in shredding files i believe 1 time is good enough to destroy a file. i still have it in my downloads and works really well in debian and rpm systems, could not get it to work in arch. no doubt someone will explains danger of fileshredding and how it can be done commandline but that's not what i miss
On the system I use for recovering disk data for fun and profit I have Thunar installed with Secure-delete, and it has a GUI front end for secure-delete.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:07 am
linux_rules wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:44 am Hi,

I really miss the Firestarter firewall a lot. I like ufw/gufw but with Firestarter you have more control

and the interface was really nice.

What about you guys ? Which discontinued project do you miss the most ?
KDE 4 ;-)

pdfedit

asciidoc

I'm a little concerned about Netbeans. Apache seems to be a place where software goes to die these days. I've been think'n about this topic. I always try to do a little homework before I install something, even if it comes from the repository, and especially if it comes from a PPA. I'd rather invest my time on something that has life to it. I try to stay away from things that haven't been touched in years, not officially terminated, but no new features, no fixes, etc.
Update: Regarding asciidoc, I found https://gitlab.com/asciidoc3/asciidoc3 which is a fork of asciidoc but written in python3. Between asciidoc3 and pandoc, writing documentation and converting formats is fun and easy.

And KDE 5/Plasma has improved.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

the Snapper Zero Turn lawnmower that the Rats chewed up all of the wiring harness on 3 years ago.....
started it rewire it, and the wife came down terminally ill, and I never got back to it.......
it is sitting in my attached garage, begging me to fix it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

There was a discontinued project that I loved — TrueCrypt — but it's now been forked into VeraCrypt, so I don't have to fret or pine over its corpse any longer.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

RSSOwl... now I have to make the effort to retry all the RSS clients again... other than it's dependency on Java and problems on windows it was the perfect one among the bunch of weird or overly simplified ones. Was forked recently enough to RSSOwlnix though but doesnt really seem active yet.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

MintBean wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:21 pm Well it wasn't Linux and it wasn't open source, but it was free... if that qualified, WinAmp gets my vote. Would love to see a Linux version one day but likelihood is about nil.
+1 for when I used windows. I'm all Linux these days
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Mostly I just have nostalgia left for winamp.... it's autotagging on single songs was spectacular though. These days it's a shootup between audacious and foobar for me.... foobar usually wins even though it needs to be used through wine.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sgtor wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:02 pm
MintBean wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:21 pm Well it wasn't Linux and it wasn't open source, but it was free... if that qualified, WinAmp gets my vote. Would love to see a Linux version one day but likelihood is about nil.
+1 for when I used windows. I'm all Linux these days
QMMP is the closest thing to WinAmp I have found.

BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I recently fired up my old OS/2 box and rediscovered software from my past. Here are a couple I truly miss from those days....

Starfish Sidekick - this is simply the best standalone PIM I have ever used. Osmo is the closest Linux equivalent I have found, but it is nowhere close to offering the function and flexibility of Sidekick. And it worked flawlessly under Win-OS/2.

DeScribe - this was the word processor for OS/2. What made it unique is it was a frame-based word processor, where the elements in a document (text, tables, images, etc.) were inserted in a frame that could be formatted and modified. This gave it some of the page layout characteristics of desktop publishing software.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BenTrabetere wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:33 am I recently fired up my old OS/2 box and rediscovered software from my past. Here are a couple I truly miss from those days....

Starfish Sidekick - this is simply the best standalone PIM I have ever used. Osmo is the closest Linux equivalent I have found, but it is nowhere close to offering the function and flexibility of Sidekick. And it worked flawlessly under Win-OS/2.

DeScribe - this was the word processor for OS/2. What made it unique is it was a frame-based word processor, where the elements in a document (text, tables, images, etc.) were inserted in a frame that could be formatted and modified. This gave it some of the page layout characteristics of desktop publishing software.
I used to love OS/2, but sometimes getting 16-bit Windows packages working required some doing.

BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:02 pmI used to love OS/2, but sometimes getting 16-bit Windows packages working required some doing.
I know Windows games could be troublesome - Doom was a major thorn - but I have never been very interested in gaming, so it was not a problem for me. Most of the 16-bit Windows programs I used and wanted to use ran just fine in Win-OS/2.

Running 32-bit Windows programs in Win-OS/2 was a nightmare, but that was because Win32s was a moving target.

To get back on topic, a couple of other abandoned OS/2 titles I miss are Mesa2 and ColorWorks.

Mesa2 was a spreadsheet that used REXX as its macro language, and it could do real time updates and trigger external events in response to the changes. I had a spreadsheet that plucked inventory levels from an AS/400 and would generate a purchase order based on reorder points. This was in 1995!

ColorWorks was the OS/2 answer to Photoshop and Photo-Paint, and it was a very solid package.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:47 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:02 pmI used to love OS/2, but sometimes getting 16-bit Windows packages working required some doing.
I know Windows games could be troublesome - Doom was a major thorn - but I have never been very interested in gaming, so it was not a problem for me. Most of the 16-bit Windows programs I used and wanted to use ran just fine in Win-OS/2.

Running 32-bit Windows programs in Win-OS/2 was a nightmare, but that was because Win32s was a moving target.

To get back on topic, a couple of other abandoned OS/2 titles I miss are Mesa2 and ColorWorks.

Mesa2 was a spreadsheet that used REXX as its macro language, and it could do real time updates and trigger external events in response to the changes. I had a spreadsheet that plucked inventory levels from an AS/400 and would generate a purchase order based on reorder points. This was in 1995!

ColorWorks was the OS/2 answer to Photoshop and Photo-Paint, and it was a very solid package.
Wow. That's amazing. Some software struggles to do tasks like that now.

I keep forgetting my favourite OS, after Windows 95/2000. In fact if it had caught on and had continued, I might still be using it.
That was GeoWorks. I got a copy when I bought an Amstrad. At fist I didn't use it much because I was a DOS head and the command line was just fine. Also, the machine had no hard drive and you had to swap 5 1/4" floppies to get it to run, and on an 8086 at 10MHz and 640K ram, well, you know...

Since I was a tech I got my hands on some memory and boosted it to 1M ram (it only saw something like 860K, but what the heck?) and bought a Western Digital "Hard Card". 32 MB for $499... :shock:
Then I started loading it up. DOS installed just fine...now let's see this GeoWorks thing. It was controlled by batch files that chained from one disk to another. Merely copying it onto the drive proved futile. That is how I became a batch file master. I worked 2nd shift and got home at 1:30, and after 4 nights working from 1:30 ~ 4 AM I finally got it working.

Amazing...mutlitasking on an 8086 with <1 meg ram. When I got a Tandy 3000NL 286 it came with an installable version of GeoWorks, and we were cooking with gas! That was 1991, and I continued with DOS and GeoWorks until I got a 386 and Windows 3.11. By this time I was working in the computer field and since we were a MS reseller we got advance comped copies of new operating systems, and when '95 came out I loaded it and said...UGH! I uninstalled it a few days later, and then a few days after that thought...gee, that was pretty cool, and ran it until the first version of Win 2000 came out. I also had Win NT but it wasn't really designed for home users so I used it at work.

After that Microsoft began it's terrible slide and I came to Linux. I sure miss win 95 and GeoWorks, though.

IamRevolution

Post by IamRevolution »

I miss Dev Assist application most of time. I used it often.
puddleglum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by puddleglum »

The old Gnome Modem Monitor and Network Monitor panel applets. They showed you your network traffic/speed live in the panel without having to open up a big Network Manager window. It was a quick efficent way of seeing if you had network problems.

That existed a long time ago in Gnome 1 and gave me my first taste of the Gnome developers arrogance in taking away features people wanted and refusing to give them back when asked for. Gnome 3 was the final straw for me and why I came to Mint looking for a standard desktop interface. Thank you for Cinnamon & Mate. :D
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Phatch and Pyrenamer

Phatch : used it for years to crop my photos and put a description and CC license on it

Pyrenamer : to easily rename my photos to something that makes sense like P12345678.img to P12345678CityTrip2018May14.img
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Bolle1961,

"Phatch" was pretty cool, but unless some programmer will update its source code, I don't think it will run in Linux Mint 19.x or newer. There are other image / photo applications that can easily crop images, and add descriptions, cc license (exif data) like XnViewMP, DigiKam, etc...

As for renaming applications, Krename, Gwenrename, XnViewMP can also rename, etc... are available.

[SOLVED] bulk rename with nemo - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=279848&hilit=nemo+rename

How can I change a Jpeg's photo-taken timestamp without changing image quality? [solved] - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=290596&hilit=exif

* Adding caption to a photo - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=265728&hilit=image+caption

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Thx, this will help.

Return to “Chat about Linux”