Which discontinued project do you miss the most ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Which discontinued project do you miss the most ?

Post by linux_rules »

Hi,

I really miss the Firestarter firewall a lot. I like ufw/gufw but with Firestarter you have more control

and the interface was really nice.

What about you guys ? Which discontinued project do you miss the most ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Which discontinued project do you miss the most ?

Post by BenTrabetere »

I can't say that I miss it because I never could get it to work in LM 17.x or LM 18.x, but really want to take Phatch for a test drive. Phatch is/was a batch processor for raster graphics, and the best I can figure it could do some of the things I do with Gimp and ImageMagick. I think development stopped in 2010 or so.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Well it wasn't Linux and it wasn't open source, but it was free... if that qualified, WinAmp gets my vote. Would love to see a Linux version one day but likelihood is about nil.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

The terminal-only application mp3gain....

For lossless normalization of the sound volume of mp3's. Luckily it can still be installed from the .deb installers which are present in Universe for Ubuntu 14.04, but for how long will they still be usable for the latest Ubuntu / Mint? :(
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:26 pm The terminal-only application mp3gain....

For lossless normalization of the sound volume of mp3's. Luckily it can still be installed from the .deb installers which are present in Universe for Ubuntu 14.04, but for how long will they still be usable for the latest Ubuntu / Mint? :(
...you could try building a static executable using the instructions here (i just did that successfully, just had to install libmpg123-dev first).
Not a complete solution, but the binary will continue working for as long as no huge changes appear in glibc (as far as i understand...)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

+1 for WinAmp
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Way, way back in the 1980s when I was using an IBM compatible, my favourite application was Sidekick (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borland_Sidekick) and then I abandoned the PC when Microsoft Windows was released and went to the Acorn A5000.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi linux_rules,

Interesting post...

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Off the top of my head there is "FossaMail"
FossaMail - an excellent and fast Thunderbird email client clone.
https://www.fossamail.org/
BenTrabetere wrote:I can't say that I miss it because I never could get it to work in LM 17.x or LM 18.x, but really want to take Phatch for a test drive. Phatch is/was a batch processor for raster graphics, and the best I can figure it could do some of the things I do with Gimp and ImageMagick. I think development stopped in 2010 or so.
I have Phatch in my menus as Phatch Image Inspector and Phatch Batch processor, but I do not know how they work or If they work? They come up, but I cannot seem to add pics to them. Would "XnViewMP" help, it can do batch processing?
MintBean wrote: ... WinAmp gets my vote. Would love to see a Linux version one day but likelihood is about nil.
There are a few really good to great WinAmp Linux alternatives that can even use WinAmp skins: 1. Audacious, 2. Qmmp, and 3. Xmms, to name a few. There is a recent post on this too.
Any decent alternative to Winamp? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=266843

Pjotr wrote: The terminal-only application mp3gain...
I really like the "wxMP3gain" a free front-end for the MP3gain - available as deb files or PPA (also has mp3gain files for newer Ubuntu and Linux Mint)
wxMP3gain download
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxmp3gain/

"wxMP3gain" - My open source projects : Cristiano Nunes
https://launchpad.net/~cfgnunes/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

This link has Linux Mint 18.x (Ubuntu Xenial) deb files or PPA for mp3gain and others
Audio Stuff : Martin Wimpress
https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+a ... untu/audio

Easymp3gain not working after new distro install - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?t=242190

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Thanks phd21. Unfortunately nothing on Linux supports anything other than the classic WinAmp skins. The music player is the one app where I like some bling, and nothing does it like WinAmp.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

tenfoot wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:24 pm Way, way back in the 1980s when I was using an IBM compatible, my favourite application was Sidekick (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borland_Sidekick) and then I abandoned the PC when Microsoft Windows was released and went to the Acorn A5000.
I too loved this product.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

K3b is good, although from KDE, but I was always partial to CDBURNERXP when I used windows.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi spearmint2...CDBURNERXP...that is a ditto too...lol...i burned my first linux iso with that program from my then existing windows 10 system...it worked flawlessly and i found it to be the easiest burner to use at that time from windows to burn iso...DAMIEN
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

thx-1138 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:08 pm
Pjotr wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:26 pm The terminal-only application mp3gain....

...you could try building a static executable using the instructions here (i just did that successfully, just had to install libmpg123-dev first).
Not a complete solution, but the binary will continue working for as long as no huge changes appear in glibc (as far as i understand...)
Looks interesting! Thanks. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

phd21 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:43 pmI have Phatch in my menus as Phatch Image Inspector and Phatch Batch processor, but I do not know how they work or If they work?
What got me interested in Phatch was a tutorial on using it to add a watermark to group of images. At the time I was still processing my photos with Photoshop, and anything that got me to a Linux-only workflow was a step in the right direction.

Now I add watermarks with darktable. From time to time I use the Gimp watermark brush I created. I also have added watermarks with ImageMagick, but my head always hurts afterwards.
They come up, but I cannot seem to add pics to them. Would "XnViewMP" help, it can do batch processing?
I have used XnViewMP to rename and convert files, but a year ago I switched to doing all of that the command line. It is faster.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

Just adding one more item.

I miss the old Noobs installer for the Raspberry Pi.

The old one included Raspbian and Libreelec but the new one only offers Raspbian

so I had to download an older version of Noobs to install Libreelec (media center solution).

Thanks for your replies.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi BenTrabetere,

FYI-1: Re: Phatch Batch Image processor -

* I found out how to make the Phatch applications work in Linux Mint 18.x (Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial). I still do not know how to use it yet, any tips? It looks like the Phatch applications can be installed from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) and other places.
Install - Phatch = PHoto & bATCH! see dependencies
http://photobatch.wikidot.com/install#toc14

* Link with fix - Bug #1567827 “on ubuntu 16.04, phatch freezes at startup”
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1567827

After installation, the "wxPil.py" file must be edited

Code: Select all

sudo xed /usr/share/phatch/phatch/lib/pyWx/wxPil.py
It took me a moment to figure out what the changes below in the quote meant, but I did.
for ex:
Lines 27, 30, 34 change "tostring" to "tobytes"
Lines 46, 50 change "fromstring" to "frombytes"
Save the file, and bingo the Phatch apps work. :)
* This code box has the corrected code for "wxPil.py"

# Copyright (C) 2007-2009 www.stani.be
#
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program.  If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/

# Follows PEP8

import Image
import wx

def pil_wxImage(image):
    if image.mode == 'P':
        image = image.convert('RGBA')
    if image.mode == 'RGBA':
        wx_image = wx.EmptyImage(*image.size)
        wx_image.SetData(image.convert("RGB").tobytes())
        wx_image.InitAlpha()
        wx_image.SetAlphaData(
            image.convert("RGBA").split()[-1].tobytes())
    else:
        wx_image = wx.EmptyImage(*image.size)
        new_image = image.convert('RGB')
        data = new_image.tobytes()
        wx_image.SetData(data)
    return wx_image

def pil_wxBitmap(image):
    return wx.BitmapFromImage(pil_wxImage(image))

def wxImage_pil(wx_image):
    size = wx_image.GetSize()
    image = Image.new('RGB', size)
    image.frombytes(wx_image.GetData())
    if wx_image.HasAlpha():
        alpha = Image.new('L', size)
        wx_alpha = wx_image.GetAlphaData()
        alpha.frombytes(wx_alpha)
        image = image.convert('RGBA')
        image.putalpha(alpha)
    return image

def wxBitmap_pil(wx_bitmap):
    return wxImage_pil(wx.ImageFromBitmap(wx_bitmap))
Pablo Vigo (pvigo) wrote: 27c27
< wx_image.SetData(image.convert("RGB").tostring())
---
> wx_image.SetData(image.convert("RGB").tobytes())
30c30
< image.convert("RGBA").split()[-1].tostring())
---
> image.convert("RGBA").split()[-1].tobytes())
34c34
< data = new_image.tostring()
---
> data = new_image.tobytes()
46c46
< image.fromstring(wx_image.GetData())
---
> image.frombytes(wx_image.GetData())
50c50
< alpha.fromstring(wx_alpha)
---
> alpha.frombytes(wx_alpha)

FYI-2: This PPA has a lot of image processing applications that can be installed using the PPA or from the deb files within this PPA.
Highly explosive! : Dariusz Duma
https://launchpad.net/%7Edhor/+archive/ ... &start=150

FYI-3: Because there are so many applications and programs written in the Python language, and I have an interest in learning them, I always install the "Python" version 2 and version 3 packages.

sudo apt install python-all-dev python-wheel python-setuptools python-pip

sudo apt install python3-all-dev python3-wheel python3-setuptools python3-pip

Hope this helps ...

Phatch1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Since I deal a lot with photos there are two things I miss.

The first one is GQview, although I have been able to keep it running. You have to install libcms, which is pretty much a standalone lib kind of like a .DLL. This make it work just fine. The renaming and handling capabilities are much better than what's in it's replacement geeqie.

The other is Kuickshow, another fast photoviewer that came with older versions of KDE. I have been unable to get it to work in the last 5 years; although I did have some luck in Arch, some of the functionality was gone. It isn't as easy to get working on a second monitor any more. The best thing about it was being able to reassign keystrokes, so if you had a special keyboard with extra keys you could assign the keys or buttons from functions you didn't use otherwise. For example, I had a keyboard with a zoom function using a rocker marked + and -, and I could either use it to increase or decrease the display size, or set it for next photo/last photo, much faster than the assigned keys or even a mouse.

If I were a programmer I'd take up the project, but as you can see from some of my "adventures" here it would probably leave me with a smoking computer... :shock:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

The other thing I miss was XMMS in it's GUI iteration. It still remains as a cli program but for some reason they did away with the GUI. There are third-party GUIs but they aren't as good as the original. IIRC, the original could also use WinAMP skins as well.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

linux_rules wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:44 am Hi,

I really miss the Firestarter firewall a lot. I like ufw/gufw but with Firestarter you have more control

and the interface was really nice.

What about you guys ? Which discontinued project do you miss the most ?
KDE 4 ;-)

pdfedit

asciidoc

I'm a little concerned about Netbeans. Apache seems to be a place where software goes to die these days. I've been think'n about this topic. I always try to do a little homework before I install something, even if it comes from the repository, and especially if it comes from a PPA. I'd rather invest my time on something that has life to it. I try to stay away from things that haven't been touched in years, not officially terminated, but no new features, no fixes, etc.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

In some manner I miss DOS. Only because of the quick and simple Boot. You could be up and running using the program of your choice without all the add ons that a GUI requires. I DO NOT miss non GUI Word Processors though. The only app that I really miss is Clipper or dBase, Access did fill that gap but I really need to find something as easy to program in Linux.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Chat about Linux”