Windows Store Linux Installation

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcsailor

Windows Store Linux Installation

Post by pcsailor »

Hi All,

I am fairly new to Linux and Mint. I have enabled the Linux subsystem on my Windows 10-Pro desktop but Mint is not an option. What would be the next best choice for a Linux newbie?
Ubuntu
OpenSUSE
SLES
Kali Linux
Debian GNU/Linux

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... tall-win10

I also have a Hyper-V setup of Mint on this same machine.
I am very interested in Kali Linux but have started with Mint because of the quick learning curve and my time.

Thanks,
Phil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Windows Store Linux Installation

Post by Flemur »

pcsailor wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24 am I have enabled the Linux subsystem on my Windows 10-Pro desktop but Mint is not an option.
What would be the next best choice for a Linux newbie?
The choice isn't based on your knowledge, but which type of linux OS you're using.

Mint is based on Ubuntu, so use that one if yuo're using Mint.

Or, if you're trying to decide which type of OS is best for a neophyte, again it's probably Ubuntu/Mint.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Windows Store Linux Installation purpose: "if we can not fight it then we need to lead it"
BTW, forget distrowatch since now.
pcsailor wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24 amI am fairly new to Linux and Mint. I have enabled the Linux subsystem on my Windows 10-Pro desktop but Mint is not an option.
Virtualbox. What? Never heard.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I agree that Ubuntu or Mint is best for newbies, in fact I wouldn't recommend anything else to them. The others listed by the OP aren't as suitable for beginners.

Distros like Kali have all the security tools but they don't make them any easier for beginners. I'm not sure that using those sort of tools incorrectly is any more secure than not using them. And in any case there's nothing there that you couldn't do in any Linux distro.

Many Linux distros have useless support forums, which makes them useless for beginners. You'll need the support. And no one has better support sites than Ubuntu and Mint. I've actually gotten 95% of my useful Mint support info from Ubuntu sites, but you have ton know what to look for there if you're not actually using Ubuntu.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”