Gimp 2.10 pre-release appimage available

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ArtGirl

Gimp 2.10 pre-release appimage available

Post by ArtGirl »

For those who use Gimp, there's a 2.10 pre-release appimage available here ... https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases. I don't use Gimp, but had a little try out, and it's easy to move/zoom the page, pressure sensitive settings worked, and it was pleasant to play with the brushes. I believe rotate will be included also in the final release. I haven't tested a lot, but there were no crashes. Here's the overall 2.10 changelog: https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Release:2.10 ... l_Painting.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Gimp 2.10 appimage available

Post by Pierre »

rats - - it's a BINary file - - will have to wait a little longer
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Pierre wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:50 am rats - - it's a BINary file - - will have to wait a little longer
:(
:-( ... hopefully won't be too long before the official release. If you're using a VM or something, here's the all-systems download page: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/devel/ for 2.10.0-RC1, incase that's an option.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Note, that there are still 12 bugs, which the developers name as blocker bugs. Surely not recommended for average users, who are not prepared for bug hunting and reporting.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:16 am Note, that there are still 12 bugs, which the developers name as blocker bugs. Surely not recommended for average users, who are not prepared for bug hunting and reporting.
I don't know; I don't use Gimp, but happened to see the link, have read it's hard to find working appimages, and knew quite a few here use Gimp. Thought the links would explain anything people needed to know. I presume people good at Gimp have a good standard of technical know-how, also. Have made title clearer, but no problem; people can easily check for Gimp releases themselves.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

ArtGirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:12 am knew quite a few here use Gimp.
Even far fewer are beta-testers. Once more: This is not made for productive jobs. In this light an appimage is doubtful per se.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Gimp 2.10 pre-release appimage available

Post by xenopeek »

GIMP is also on Flathub (https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gimp.GIMP) so once 2.10 is released as stable you'll find it on Linux Mint 18.3 in Software Manager's Flatpak category.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

ArtGirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:50 am For those who use Gimp, there's a 2.10 pre-release appimage available here ... https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases. I don't use Gimp, but had a little try out, and it's easy to move/zoom the page, pressure sensitive settings worked, and it was pleasant to play with the brushes. I believe rotate will be included also in the final release. I haven't tested a lot, but there were no crashes. Here's the overall 2.10 changelog: https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Release:2.10 ... l_Painting.
I think that is a Given.. as the current version has AutoRotate and I have it set to Always Right Side Up.

I have to wait for the finished product, I don't know how to compile or install .tar files.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I took the RC AppImage for a few laps around the track - I did not find any problems, I like the new Color menu, and the new "dashboard" dock might prove to be handy on my under-powered system.

From the 'Still Not Fixed' list. Export As has not been replaced with a proper Save As. Why do the developers insist on perpetuating this nonsense? Also, it would be nice to be able to adjust the menu font and font size from Preferences - the default font size is too small for my tired eyes, and editing the gtkrc is such a bother.

I think there will be lot to like with the new version, and I am very happy the developers offer AppImages. I find the format to be superior to Flatpak and Snap in so many ways. Long may it continue.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Glad it was of help to you BenTrabetere.

It's not a tar file, AZgl1500. An appimage, you just give it permission to run.

Regarding other comments, I won't post again, as it's hardly my problem what Gimp does technically or otherwise, and the needless criticisms, as usual, are unwarranted. I'm not forcing people to do anything or putting their work or machines at risk. That's just a stupid inference.
Last edited by ArtGirl on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

ArtGirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 pm ...
I won't post again,
You said it was a "2.10 pre-release"]

So thanks for sharing! :wink:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

wallyUSA wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:17 am
ArtGirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 pm ...
I won't post again,
You said it was a "2.10 pre-release"]

So thanks for sharing! :wink:
Thanks, wallyUSA! Glad it's of use to you. :-)
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

ArtGirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 pm I won't post again....
I hope I did not post something to upset you. It certainly was not my intent.

To echo wallyUSA - thanks for sharing. I had played with some of the Gimp beta AppImages, but was not aware a RC had been released. I think AppImage is an excellent way to manage development releases, and I am grateful for the developers who offer them. I am especially grateful the devs at Gimp, MuseScore and Scribus, who understand AppImage and how to use it. (LibreOffice would join that list if it would put version numbers in the filename its AppImage releases.)
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Gimp is a part of my workflow where image manipulation is concerned, and so I await 2.10 with much baited breath. I can only assume it'll get rolled out in LM either sometime during 19.x or 20.x, after such time has passed that everyone is comfortable with it.

I would also say the same about the latest versions of Scribus. There's features and refinements of that program in the pipeline that I'm pretty excited about. As a former professional desktop publisher, I am for anything that breaks the back of Adobe's and Quark's tyrannical grip on the industry.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:07 am
ArtGirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 pm I won't post again....
I hope I did not post something to upset you. It certainly was not my intent.

To echo wallyUSA - thanks for sharing. I had played with some of the Gimp beta AppImages, but was not aware a RC had been released. I think AppImage is an excellent way to manage development releases, and I am grateful for the developers who offer them. I am especially grateful the devs at Gimp, MuseScore and Scribus, who understand AppImage and how to use it. (LibreOffice would join that list if it would put version numbers in the filename its AppImage releases.)
Not at all, BenTrabetere! :shock: Very sorry if me doing 3 replies in the one post seemed to say that. You hadn't said anything bad. And I agree, appimages are such a great way to run software; so easy to use and the option of running different versions on the same system is cool ... I run a Krita appimage and can test other nightly appimages.
Last edited by ArtGirl on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Portreve wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:08 pm As a former professional desktop publisher, I am for anything that breaks the back of Adobe's and Quark's tyrannical grip on the industry.
100% agree. :-)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:16 am Note, that there are still 12 bugs, which the developers name as blocker bugs. Surely not recommended for average users, who are not prepared for bug hunting and reporting.
Was going to make a comment about "pre release" actually meaning beta if not (ugh) alpha but that'll do.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”