Microsoft announces Azure Sphere, powered by Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Microsoft announces Azure Sphere, powered by Linux

Post by jimallyn »

I suppose it was just a matter of time.
Microsoft announced on Monday a new technology called Azure Sphere, a new system for securing the tiny processors that power smart appliances, connected toys, and other gadgets.

We'll get to the specifics in a moment, but here's the really notable part: To power Azure Sphere, Microsoft has developed its own, custom version of Linux — the free, open source operating system that Microsoft once considered the single biggest threat to the supremacy of its Windows software.
http://www.businessinsider.com/microsof ... nux-2018-4
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Microsoft announces Azure Sphere, powered by Linux

Post by catweazel »

Funnier still is the spin on the word 'bloatware'.
Second, Microsoft has developed Azure Sphere OS, the Linux-based operating system that will run on those chips – Smith says that while Microsoft is a “Windows company,” a full-fledged version of its flagship operating system was too big and too unwieldy for what it had in mind.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

2018 year. Finally Linux almost win the war of "securing the tiny processors that power smart appliances, connected toys, and other gadget".
There are only a few steps to win the war of desktops. Isn't it?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I think Linux is an incidental element in the story. If I were to be generous I would say it makes good sense for MS to use Linux on an ARM-based SoC that needs a Real Time OS. I am not the generous type when it comes to MS, so I think it shows MS is still unable to create a suitable OS on its own. ARM-based Windows anyone?

But it is incidental - the real story is MS attempting to lock IoT gadgets to Azure. I support efforts to make IoT gadgets more secure, but I do not trust MS to manage it. I also question MS's long-term support for the project or IoT manufacturers doing anything to improve security for their devices.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:54 amARM-based Windows anyone?
Not now but may be little later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

PORTREVE ANNOUNCES NEW PROTECTION SYSTEM FROM CASTROVALVA SYSTEMS PLC
Castrovalva Systems of Andromeda is happy to announce a new data protection service in connection with Logopolis OS, available for all 512 - 4096 bit computer systems. By using our revolutionary Recursive Occlusion™ technology which effectively isolates your data from the grid whilst simultaneously trapping all attack vector exploits in a quantum level spacetime loop, it thereby ensures not only the security of your personal information, but also that the attack itself is unable to propagate across your IoT local area network.

“We are proud of our latest safety product range,” said Castrovalva Systems spokesman Portreve from his mid-year retreat in the Escherscape Mountains of Alpha Centauri. “Any attack or other exploit vector can now immediately be detected and taken out of its point of origination and trapped in a localized but isolated region of spacetime. Customers may rest easy in the knowledge that not only will our new Recursive Occlusion™ technology stop the attack or attempt at hijacking their devices, but the attack itself will, to all intents and purposes, cease to have ever existed.”

When asked about how the product can help assist law enforcement in finding and dealing with perpetrators, Portreve added that the system was being rapidly expanded and enhanced to handle physical objects as well as software and spacetime events.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux”