Whats your opinion about using Raspberry Pi as your daily driver ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Whats your opinion about using Raspberry Pi as your daily driver ?

Post by linux_rules »

I want to use it but browsing the web with Chromium is terribly slow

Whats your thought about using Raspberry Pi as your daily driver ?

I am using Pi2.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Whats your opinion about using Raspberry Pi as your daily driver ?

Post by jimallyn »

If you are able to tolerate enormous amounts of frustration, and don't mind waiting for anything to happen, go for it. There are several browsers that are much lighter than Chromium, you might try one of them. Midori, maybe? That's the only one that comes to mind at the moment, but I'm sure there are others. And you'd have much better results with the latest Pi3.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

jimallyn wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 pm If you are able to tolerate enormous amounts of frustration, and don't mind waiting for anything to happen, go for it. There are several browsers that are much lighter than Chromium, you might try one of them. Midori, maybe? That's the only one that comes to mind at the moment, but I'm sure there are others. And you'd have much better results with the latest Pi3.
I once read in Ubuntuforums (didnt bookmark the link) that said Midori is no longer actively maintained. Dont know if thats true.

Dont have the cash right now for another Pi.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

jimallyn wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:57 pm A few ideas for you here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/raspberry-pi-browsers/
Thanks for the link but I am a little worried about the security of those browsers specially coz I do Internet banking.
CoffeeFiend

Post by CoffeeFiend »

I have a Pi2. I like it, but I would never rely on it as a daily driver. I think the best thing about it, other than its small size, is that it is a great learning tool for kids and a great device for newbies to learn a bit about Linux. I think using it for some minor daily driving duties, such as web browsing, is fine, so long as you are ok with the slow. But the fact of the matter is that it just isn't as powerful of a performer as your average laptop or desktop. Personally, I like that it uses ISOs on micro SD cards, which makes it incredibly quick and easy to reload if it gets corrupted. Honestly, I would recommend saving up the $30 for a Pi3.
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

General web browsing is okay but I havent managed to browse Facebook with my Pi. Facebook is just too bloated.
Faust

Post by Faust »

It is certainly feasible , if not exactly desirable .

Pi is at it's best doing dedicated jobs but the recently released Pi B3 + offers a few extra benefits
for anyone who wants to make it their " Daily Drive " .... " Just because I can " .... :D

It is moderately over-clocked , right out of the box , and also has superior heat dissipation .
Connectivity is improved because of better usage of hardware resources , and "Power over Ethernet " is included .

As to the browser question ( Midori ? ) :-
Perhaps an improvement would be to install " Epiphany-browser " ?

I haven't tested it .... I don't have a Pi that is not busy right now :lol:
but I'd certainly like to hear from anyone who tries it ....

Return to “Chat about Linux”