Ubuntu won't use WiFi on my laptop under VB [solved]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Ubuntu won't use WiFi on my laptop under VB [solved]

Post by AZgl1800 »

1st, I am used to 18.3 Cinnamon which is running extremely smooth and fast.

Just some thoughts on some little things I have run into with the new Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Used this ISO bionic-desktop-amd64.iso

*is extremely slow and sluggish in VB on a laptop with 4 gB of RAM and I accepted all of the defaults for the new Linux install except that I gave it 20 gB of disk space instead of the recommended 10 gB.

*The menu system is so awkward that I had trouble getting around with it.

*Ubuntu did not use my WiFi that is already working on the laptop. so that put a stop to getting it updated. Every other version of Linux that I have installed has used the WiFi that is on my laptop, so why did Ubuntu ignore it? I have a LAN connection, but it is hard to get to, and sitting on a chair with a "laptop" laying on your lap, is not comfortable.

I will comment this is the first time I have seen Ubuntu, so not knowing what the names of the utilities are, made it hard to navigate.

The extreme delays in anything responding to a mouse click, just ruined the whole experience.

so, my effort at trying to review and see how Ubuntu 18.04 works came to a rapid halt.
I don't even have enough exposure to it to make a good/bad comment on the OS.

FWIW, this is what I have:
Kernel: 4.13.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Ubuntu won't use WiFi on my laptop under VB

Post by Cosmo. »

No VB guest uses any physical network connection of the host, but the virtual network connector (acting as a wired connection), usually NAT. How the host is connected, does not matter.
CoffeeFiend

Post by CoffeeFiend »

Have you tried it with VMWare? I have several distros running in VMWare on my Win10 laptop and they all use the wireless just fine.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

all the other installs used the 'NAT' connection, was just curious why Ubuntu did not.

the VB setup claims that is what it should use.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

CoffeeFiend wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:31 pm Have you tried it with VMWare? I have several distros running in VMWare on my Win10 laptop and they all use the wireless just fine.
On the last laptop install, I used the Oracle VB from their website.

this time, I just used the VB from the Software Manager, guess I need to uninstall that and go back to Oracle VB
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:33 pm all the other installs used the 'NAT' connection, was just curious why Ubuntu did not.
I cannot follow. Your screenshot says, that NAT gets used.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

yes,
that is what that screenshot did say... but there was no internet connection with Ubuntu.

I deleted VB and reinstalled it, Ubuntu now works, slower than mud in January, but it is working.

I think that I am going to have to stop using the laptop, take it apart, and install the 8 gB RAM that came in last week.

I am satisfied what happened, closing thread.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:36 pm yes,
that is what that screenshot did say... but there was no internet connection with Ubuntu.
Perhaps you had removed the virtual network cable, to be seen in the advanced network settings (not displayed in the screenshot)? This can also be done from inside of the running VM (possibly by error).
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ubuntu won't use WiFi on my laptop under VB [solved]

Post by AZgl1800 »

don't know, deleting the old VM and re-installing it again fixed it.

Made no changes to the Ubuntu setup, it just booted up and ran like it should, although too slow.

Hope that doubling the RAM will fix that.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

How much RAM did you give the VM?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

aes2011 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:27 pm How much RAM did you give the VM?
I thought that I had given it 2 gB, but a recheck showed that I took the default of 1 gB instead.
I just moved the slider to 2 gB and now it is almost as fast as the native 18.3 Cinnamon on the HDD.

Still, I am expecting things to pick up a lot when I get the 8 gB RAM installed...

This laptop is a hard one to work on, no access from the top at all, everything is poured in the case from the bottom.... and I have to replace the keyboard.... which just happens to be the very first thing installed into the case before anything else.

Played with it a bit, moved it down to 1.912 gB and that seems to be the best mix of VB RAM vs base RAM for the PC.... Ubuntu will now load up to the Desktop in 58 seconds. The utilities screen pops up in about 10 seconds and shows all of the apps available in the repository.
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Good to know! I give 4GB RAM for my VMs out of a total 8GB.

Return to “Chat about Linux”