Please suggest an OS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anpr22
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Please suggest an OS

Post by anpr22 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 3:51 am Try "Peppermint 8" OS...its ubuntu/deb based and hasn't failed me yet in installing it in older underpowered systems where nothing else would install...Xfce style desktop...DAMIEN
thank you. the statement seems to be encouraging. I will try.
hopefully, it will run on AMD Athalon 64 3000+ system with the onboard graphics chip. Read on Peppermint website AMD got some issues in general.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

An absolute minimum Linux system is SLITAZ.
It's not nice - but up-to-date and very small, the download is about 50 MB.

I would try Mint Mate 17 Rosa on your device - first without an external graphics card...
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i have installed P-8 on multiple AMD units with no issues so far...DAMIEN
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

SLITAZ can be interesting for users of (very) old computers - it runs from 256 MB directly in RAM.

Mint Mate Rosa is running in VirtualBox on a 9 year old MacBook. The host is OSX 10.11.
It runs faster and more stable than several LXDE and Xfce variants I have tried.
I'm always amazed how fast...
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Another vote for Peppermint 8. Running on an old Compaq laptop, it only uses 193 MB out of 2 GB ram. I like it a lot.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

anpr22 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:07 am

actually, slacko puppy is already working well from the flash drive and saves the session on the hard disk so I think it is a better choice. anyway, I want it for my parents so want it as straightforward. (Note: My yumi multiboot has stopped booting as I had reset boot entry with easybcd with usb plugged in. Now it is stuck at windows no OS screen. I need to recover this first before I try LMDE mate )

also, tell me is there chance mint Xfce will work well if directly installed without running live cd may be due to appropriate driver install?
Well, if slacko puppy works well from flash, it may be your best option. If you get LMDE or another to install, you may like one of them better. If not, go with Puppy (they have a forum too). Good luck :!:
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

anpr22 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:27 am now only anti-x, bodhi linux, MX yet to be tried but i doubt any installer based on ubuntu ubiquity will succeed but I want ubuntu based system due to familiarity
I still think your problem is video related please tells us what chip set your video uses or at least the mother board model. You said you had no video card if that were true you would have no video output. What I assume you mean is that the video is built into the mother board. But it still has a video chip set. What processor is being used. AMD, Intel, Other?

Puppy is a great little distro and you could do worse. But there should be a way to get xfce going on that machine.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

kenetics wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 am Another vote for Peppermint 8. Running on an old Compaq laptop, it only uses 193 MB out of 2 GB ram. I like it a lot.
Problem with Peppermint 8 is it's PAE, some older pc's are non-PAE. Just a heads up.
anpr22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anpr22 »

kc1di wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:05 am
anpr22 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:27 am now only anti-x, bodhi linux, MX yet to be tried but i doubt any installer based on ubuntu ubiquity will succeed but I want ubuntu based system due to familiarity
I still think your problem is video related please tells us what chip set your video uses or at least the mother board model. You said you had no video card if that were true you would have no video output. What I assume you mean is that the video is built into the mother board. But it still has a video chip set. What processor is being used. AMD, Intel, Other?

Puppy is a great little distro and you could do worse. But there should be a way to get xfce going on that machine.
I have AMD Athalon 64 bit 3000+ processor with single core and motherboard is from ASUS k8v-mx-0501 . Hope it helps. Thanks
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Asus offers a Linux bios and vga video driver for you m.b. So it must work with linux. https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/K8V ... _Download/
Some things to check.
1. is secure boot turned off.
2. download and install linux video driver from ASUS. You many also have to upgrade the bios.
3. call ASUS talk to them if they offer a linux driver there must be a way to install linux.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

This is a very late comment, but I just saw it.
antiX and MX are not based on Ubuntu. They're based on Debian.
anpr22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anpr22 »

I would like to inform that finally I found an OS which installed and is running smoothly.

It is Puppy Linux - xenialpup - it has given new life and apps to my old PC. It even supports .deb packages and hardware was detected.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions but they all did not got installed/work for the reason I do not know.

Return to “Chat about Linux”