Project: sync tool

Chat about Linux in general
User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Project: sync tool

Post by catweazel »

pbear wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:33 am
Long time SyncToy user. To my knowledge, there's nothing comparable in Linux.
There will be soon if I can get off my butt and start the project I've been planning on for the last few months.

Edit: LuckyBackup, which uses rsync, is woefully ugly and childish, and grsync is immature and severely lacking good features. I plan to fix both of those by writing a new application.
Last edited by catweazel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5206
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Application recommendations for sync (not backup)?

Post by pbear »

catweazel wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:29 am
pbear wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:33 am
Long time SyncToy user. To my knowledge, there's nothing comparable in Linux.
There will be soon if I can get off my butt and start the project I've been planning on for the last few months.
That would be awesome and very useful.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Application recommendations for sync (not backup)?

Post by catweazel »

pbear wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:30 am
catweazel wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:29 am
pbear wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:33 am
Long time SyncToy user. To my knowledge, there's nothing comparable in Linux.
There will be soon if I can get off my butt and start the project I've been planning on for the last few months.
That would be awesome and very useful.
I plan to incorporate three main features, backup to a zip archive ala Cobian Backup on Windwoes, rsync backup with a UI (very) loosely based on SyncToy's simplicity, and advanced rsync, which grsync sorely lacks. I'd make a start this weekend but most of my kids will be here to visit, so maybe during the week... Maybe.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

User avatar
smurphos
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6734
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher
Contact:

Re: Application recommendations for sync (not backup)?

Post by smurphos »

Are you planning on open-sourcing it? It would be interesting to follow development if you are using Github or similar.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Application recommendations for sync (not backup)?

Post by catweazel »

smurphos wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:53 am
Are you planning on open-sourcing it? It would be interesting to follow development if you are using Github or similar.
Yes, I have to in order to meet Qt's license requirements. I'll stick it on github after it's finished.

I'm going to report myself to the mods and ask them to move this part of the thread to chat as it's hijacking the OP's thread.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

User avatar
Moem
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11259
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Done. :D
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:14 am
Mod note:
Done. :D
Thanks muchly :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Application recommendations for sync (not backup)?

Post by catweazel »

smurphos wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:53 am
Are you planning on open-sourcing it? It would be interesting to follow development if you are using Github or similar.
Well, I guess this is a call for suggestions now. I had planned to call it SyncBack but that name is taken, as is qrsync, qtrsync, backsync, synctool...

How about Touchwood? With a toad for an icon.

:lol: double-entendre. "Touchwood! I have a backup!", and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catweazle

If anyone has any feature suggestions, that would be great.

Edit:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

User avatar
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Baja California, Mexico

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by sdibaja »

Maybe you could call it Sinker. ;-)

You have me interested, reinventing the wheel is often a good thing.
I am a little unclear about your intended functions.
Could you outline that for me please?


I have been using LuckyBackup for quite a while, mainly backups (incremental and accumulative), between several computers. Also occasionally for synchronizing folders to reduce unwanted redundancy. I was using it in combination with Dropbox and Mega... the cloud segment was always kludgey.
Recently (a few months ago) I added Syncthing to the mix, and dropped Dropbox entirely. That is now working smoothly, but I am still tweaking it.
Peter
Mate desktop https://mate-desktop.org/
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by catweazel »

sdibaja wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:56 am
I am a little unclear about your intended functions.
Could you outline that for me please?
What is unclear?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

User avatar
smurphos
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6734
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher
Contact:

Re: Application recommendations for sync (not backup)?

Post by smurphos »

catweazel wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:03 am
Well, I guess this is a call for suggestions now. I had planned to call it SyncBack but that name is taken, as is qrsync, qtrsync, backsync, synctool...
Plunger...tagline...fixes broken syncs.

My coat is already on. :)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Schallaven
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by Schallaven »

I like that!

How about Backweazel, Saburback, Back-cakery, or the like?
kittykernel - a cat-friendly, custom kernel manager for Linux Mint and other Debian derivates. Take a look or two here: Releases Github
Your argument is irrelephant - it's lacking elephants.

User avatar
Faust
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:40 am

Re: Application recommendations for sync (not backup)?

Post by Faust »

catweazel wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:03 am
...........

Well, I guess this is a call for suggestions now. I had planned to call it SyncBack but that name is taken, as is qrsync, qtrsync, backsync, synctool...

How about Touchwood? With a toad for an icon.

:lol: double-entendre. "Touchwood! I have a backup!", and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catweazle

If anyone has any feature suggestions, that would be great.

Edit:
How about calling it " Synchrotron" ?
It's got that cool Dr Who vibe ' going on ' , and yet it's a real device , as all physicists know !

@sdibaja mentioned "Syncthing" and that does what I want ,
but I don't often need such apps , so my opinion on the subject is not worth very much :)
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

User avatar
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Baja California, Mexico

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by sdibaja »

LuckyBackup could use a new developer. The list of "bugs and proposed features" don't affect me at all. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.
Such an undertaking is beyond my ambition and skill set, but it would be a worthy project.

Starting afresh? Dunno.
Go for it! I would love to try it out.
Peter
Mate desktop https://mate-desktop.org/
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Application recommendations for sync (not backup)?

Post by catweazel »

smurphos wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:30 am
Plunger...tagline...fixes broken syncs.
:rofl: too funny
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by catweazel »

Schallaven wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:20 am
I like that!

How about Backweazel, Saburback, Back-cakery, or the like?
What do 'sabur' and 'cakery' refer to?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Application recommendations for sync (not backup)?

Post by catweazel »

Faust wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:16 am
How about calling it " Synchrotron" ?
Too many difficult syllables, I think. The name doesn't seem to 'stick', but thanks :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by catweazel »

I've got it!

After half an hour of trawling through Roget's thesaurus, and spending just as much time searching google for names that are already taken... setback (c) 2018 Catweazel :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4664
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by AZgl1500 »

catweazel wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:26 pm
I've got it!

After half an hour of trawling through Roget's thesaurus, and spending just as much time searching google for names that are already taken... setback (c) 2018 Catweazel :)
:idea: :D
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:38 pm
:idea:
How rude! Oh, sorry ...

:mrgreen:

I still might opt for Touchwood, though.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux”