Project: sync tool

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Project: sync tool

Post by catweazel »

pbear wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:33 am Long time SyncToy user. To my knowledge, there's nothing comparable in Linux.
There will be soon if I can get off my butt and start the project I've been planning on for the last few months.

Edit: LuckyBackup, which uses rsync, is woefully ugly and childish, and grsync is immature and severely lacking good features. I plan to fix both of those by writing a new application.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Application recommendations for sync (not backup)?

Post by pbear »

catweazel wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:29 am
pbear wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:33 am Long time SyncToy user. To my knowledge, there's nothing comparable in Linux.
There will be soon if I can get off my butt and start the project I've been planning on for the last few months.
That would be awesome and very useful.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

pbear wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:30 am
catweazel wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:29 am
That would be awesome and very useful.
I plan to incorporate three main features, backup to a zip archive ala Cobian Backup on Windwoes, rsync backup with a UI (very) loosely based on SyncToy's simplicity, and advanced rsync, which grsync sorely lacks. I'd make a start this weekend but most of my kids will be here to visit, so maybe during the week... Maybe.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Are you planning on open-sourcing it? It would be interesting to follow development if you are using Github or similar.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

smurphos wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:53 am Are you planning on open-sourcing it? It would be interesting to follow development if you are using Github or similar.
Yes, I have to in order to meet Qt's license requirements. I'll stick it on github after it's finished.

I'm going to report myself to the mods and ask them to move this part of the thread to chat as it's hijacking the OP's thread.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Done. :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:14 am Mod note:
Done. :D
Thanks muchly :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

smurphos wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:53 am Are you planning on open-sourcing it? It would be interesting to follow development if you are using Github or similar.
Well, I guess this is a call for suggestions now. I had planned to call it SyncBack but that name is taken, as is qrsync, qtrsync, backsync, synctool...

How about Touchwood? With a toad for an icon.

:lol: double-entendre. "Touchwood! I have a backup!", and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catweazle

If anyone has any feature suggestions, that would be great.

Edit:
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Maybe you could call it Sinker. ;-)

You have me interested, reinventing the wheel is often a good thing.
I am a little unclear about your intended functions.
Could you outline that for me please?

I have been using LuckyBackup for quite a while, mainly backups (incremental and accumulative), between several computers. Also occasionally for synchronizing folders to reduce unwanted redundancy. I was using it in combination with Dropbox and Mega... the cloud segment was always kludgey.
Recently (a few months ago) I added Syncthing to the mix, and dropped Dropbox entirely. That is now working smoothly, but I am still tweaking it.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

sdibaja wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:56 am I am a little unclear about your intended functions.
Could you outline that for me please?
What is unclear?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

catweazel wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:03 am Well, I guess this is a call for suggestions now. I had planned to call it SyncBack but that name is taken, as is qrsync, qtrsync, backsync, synctool...
Plunger...tagline...fixes broken syncs.

My coat is already on. :)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

I like that!

How about Backweazel, Saburback, Back-cakery, or the like?
Faust

Post by Faust »

catweazel wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:03 am ...........

Well, I guess this is a call for suggestions now. I had planned to call it SyncBack but that name is taken, as is qrsync, qtrsync, backsync, synctool...

How about Touchwood? With a toad for an icon.

:lol: double-entendre. "Touchwood! I have a backup!", and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catweazle

If anyone has any feature suggestions, that would be great.

Edit:
How about calling it " Synchrotron" ?
It's got that cool Dr Who vibe ' going on ' , and yet it's a real device , as all physicists know !

@sdibaja mentioned "Syncthing" and that does what I want ,
but I don't often need such apps , so my opinion on the subject is not worth very much :)
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

LuckyBackup could use a new developer. The list of "bugs and proposed features" don't affect me at all. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.
Such an undertaking is beyond my ambition and skill set, but it would be a worthy project.

Starting afresh? Dunno.
Go for it! I would love to try it out.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

smurphos wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:30 am Plunger...tagline...fixes broken syncs.
:rofl: too funny
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Schallaven wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:20 am I like that!

How about Backweazel, Saburback, Back-cakery, or the like?
What do 'sabur' and 'cakery' refer to?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Faust wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:16 am How about calling it " Synchrotron" ?
Too many difficult syllables, I think. The name doesn't seem to 'stick', but thanks :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

I've got it!

After half an hour of trawling through Roget's thesaurus, and spending just as much time searching google for names that are already taken... setback (c) 2018 Catweazel :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:26 pm I've got it!

After half an hour of trawling through Roget's thesaurus, and spending just as much time searching google for names that are already taken... setback (c) 2018 Catweazel :)
:idea: :D
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:38 pm :idea:
How rude! Oh, sorry ...

:mrgreen:

I still might opt for Touchwood, though.

Return to “Chat about Linux”