ap-linux - aka - audiophile linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Captain Brillo

ap-linux - aka - audiophile linux

Post by Captain Brillo »

This looks interesting - but these people have serious issues.
Distro is free - check
Download 1 - free - starts at "3 days" - uncheck
Download 2 - you got to pay the upkeep on their servers to download - check them right off the ice...
What's with this? I got to pay to download just to have a look?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: ap-linux - aka - audiophile linux

Post by lsemmens »

Looks like it. I'm with you there. It ain't happening unless there is a bloody good reason for needing that distro, and I cannot think of one off the top of my turntable.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Captain Brillo wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:18 pm Download 1 - free - starts at "3 days" - uncheck
:lol: 24KB/s, slower than a classic modem. Sillier still, they don't have the brains to seed a bittorrent.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Makes perfect sense to me. People who would still self-identify as "audiophile" in this day and age certainly are the type to believe that quality magically improves by being expensive.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

There was Sony with the audiophile golden SD card.

...and at the computer output you can install the special Monster speaker cable :mrgreen:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I wouldn't touch it for several reasons.

It used to be Ubuntu based, now it's Arch based and I think you need to do a TON of config. This install instruction page scares me a bit:

https://www.ap-linux.com/documentation/ ... tructions/

There's nothing in these sort of specialized distros you couldn't do in any other Linux distro. So the whole point is to make it easier for beginners. So why use Arch?

The only reviews I've ever seen recommending it were in flat earth tech retard 'audiophile' publications, which I consider worthless even for hi fi gear reviews let alone a Linux distro.

Besides, it's not that hard to get proper sound in Linux, esp. if you use an external USB sound card. Contrary to popular opinion pulseaudio does not resample unless there's software mixing involved, and I avoid software mixing.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”