Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Chat about Linux in general
rick gen
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Post by rick gen » Thu May 24, 2018 4:33 pm

It probably has to do with Mint devs dropping KDE.
Of course, users would look for alternatives.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:42 pm

If using KDE, why wouldn't anyone just use Kubuntu? I started with that on version 12, then over to Mint 14 about half year later.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth » Sun May 27, 2018 8:07 pm

Whatever the reason, Mint losing the #1 spot has nowhere the same reason Ubuntu has.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

Portreve
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Portreve » Sun May 27, 2018 10:49 pm

Miejer_Alied wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:51 am
Firstly, 'itsfoss'; this site is meant not meant for linux users, it's for lazy bums, who don't want to invest their time in learning or understanding, what linux is.
Now, the article you referred to in your post, is written by a fellow, who just effin' loves to 'play' with linux; in addition to having no skillset required to do a good writeup. The stupid sub-headings, like 'tons of software', ' easy way to switch kernels', are strewn mindlessly.
The proof lies in the pudding, mate. I've been writing technical manuals for Maersk for about two decades & I say that these articles are only fit for the spoon-fed and hand-held types.
Marziano wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:53 am
With all due respect, belittling others and self-glorifying won't add any weight to your arguments. Actually, reading this, reflecting your attitude towards other people having deviant experiences and opinions than those of yours, I shouldn't have responded at all. But keeping silence in the face of demagoguery is not my biggest virtue.
Couldn't have said it better myself, Marziano.

Honestly, Miejer_Alied, apart from belittling and chest-beating, your post overall is pretty ambiguous. I read it top to bottom and came away with the sense that I can't really figure out whether you're pro or con Manjaro, Arch, KaOS, etc. And not to nag, but your use of commas and semicolons really tears up much of what you're writing, which is difficult enough given your abrasive tone.

You made comments about things being spoon-fed, and about problems cropping up that new-comers who aren't highly experienced in other developer-oriented distros would even know how to go about searching for, and then you ultimately said that “learning can never be forsaked [sic]” and so I'm left with a connundrum, and likely the same one that others are as well: where do you stand on what constitutes a good distro?

From my chair, here's what I believe. Intellectual laziness should be a crime. Learning should never be merely or purely by rote. Education needs to be intuitive and diagnostic because that's the best way to make it approachable for the learner. What I have heard many times over the years is that certain distros are "newb-ish" and this is said with great disdain, as though having a distro that's stable and doesn't require repetitive tinkering or near-coder-levels of knowledge to set up and configure is somehow a failing on the part of people who use it. Your post makes it seem like that's the direction you're going in, but again, it's ambiguously enough written to make it hard to pin down your intent.

Oh, and if Maersk hires people to write manuals who don't know tenses or punctuation rules, then either I want your job at twice the pay rate, or maybe that company just took a dive in my personal estimation.

Either way, the ball's in your court.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Return to “Chat about Linux”