Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Miejer_Alied
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Post by Miejer_Alied »

Last edited by Miejer_Alied on Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wallaroo »

Since Mint 18 came out I have been having problems with one of my devices, an Intel NUC, with freezes, network dropouts and hardware incompatibilities. (Worked flawlessly with Mint 17).

So I thought it was time to try another distro and gave Manjaro a try (because it was No.2 on the DistroWatch list). I was pleasantly surprised that everything on the NUC just worked without any fuss, so it has joined my list of 'acceptable' distros. (until it too breaks).

Mint is still my preferred distro, so I'll wait and see what happens with Mint 19.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Miejer_Alied wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:51 am
Firstly, 'itsfoss'; this site is meant not meant for linux users, it's for lazy bums, who don't want to invest their time in learning or understanding, what linux is.
Now, the article you referred to in your post, is written by a fellow, who just effin' loves to 'play' with linux; in addition to having no skillset required to do a good writeup. The stupid sub-headings, like 'tons of software', ' easy way to switch kernels', are strewn mindlessly.
The proof lies in the pudding, mate. I've been writing technical manuals for Maersk for about two decades & I say that these articles are only fit for the spoon-fed and hand-held types.
With all due respect, belittling others and self-glorifying won't add any weight to your arguments. Actually, reading this, reflecting your attitude towards other people having deviant experiences and opinions than those of yours, I shouldn't have responded at all. But keeping silence in the face of demagoguery is not my biggest virtue. And actually I find the article written by that fellow in itsfoss a quite accurate summary of what Manjaro is all about corresponding to my own experience of it. Call me a lazy bum who needs to be hand-held and spoon-fed. It doesn't tell much about me but more so about you and your attitude dear Mr two-decades-technical-manual-writer.

Miejer_Alied wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:51 am Now, how's withholding packages for two effin' weeks is a better way to achieve security & stablity, which the messiah Manjaro attempts to do so as to get rid of the Arch 'mess', eh?
Yet again, having run Manjaro for quite a while, my own personal experience of it attests to the fact that the Manjaro's developing model has succeeded in hitting that middle ground of a continually updated system and stability. Others might have had other experiences. I cannot go against mine.
Antergos, Anarchy would be better than Manjaro, if you want pre-configured Arch.
Might be, but I am perfectly happy with my Manjaro. Thank you for the suggestion.

Goodbye and never again!
Miejer_Alied
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miejer_Alied »

Last edited by Miejer_Alied on Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

@Miejer_Alied

Thanks for writing!
Wish you the same!
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

As I wrote earlier rolling releases are testing, Manjaro is very user friendly which make it attractive, very good I think because more computers are testing new innovations. For that reason it deserves to have more clicks to attract more users.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

chrisuk wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:23 am *waits for the "It doesn't mean anything" posts* ;)
It must have been me. I became interested in Manjaro after seeing a thread about Artix (which lead me to Manjaro) last month while I was having network connectivity problems: :wink: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=266501&p=1449458&h ... x#p1449458

Whenever I become interested in something, I visit web pages related to it several times day until my curiosity is satisfied. :wink:
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

Always, been interested in trying Arch. I know alot of people on Arch, but never liked the idea of no interface to help along the way. Manjaro always seemed like a balance and may be better on roll outs then OpenSuse. So have been really tempted to try it out. My main OS on my desktop is Mint currently, I have another driver with OpenSuse and another with Ubuntu. I might add another drive or Remove OpenSuse as I currently dont have much use for it, but in certain business applications I can see a use for it in future. Home users I always reccomend Linux Mint and will continue to . I think Manjaro may be good for people who know more about linux, but don't want to necessarily use the terminal because not that they dont know how but their lazy when off the clock.
Anyways, my first impression when I found out and read up about it a year ago and I was shocked to find it on top the other day. Reminded me ive been wanting to try it out.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Just remember guys .... Windows is still the leader :lol:
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I don't pay much attention to distrowatch ratings because they are based on page hits only. I am not sure how anyone could accurately calculate actual distro usage but page hits on one site doesn't do it for me
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Many good points here. To me, Distrowatch rankings show general popularity of distros and which ones are trending up / down. The numbers are not exact.
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

I think it's health to check out different distro. Usually have 4 or 5 on the go at one time.
Been using Manjaro off and on for a few years now, more on lately.
Mint is rock solid and works.
Manjaro software packages are more up to date.
Both Mint and Manjaro are both number 1 in my books or on my computers I should say.
Use what works for you. :D
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

DistroWatch Page Hit Rankings are just Page Hits, not popularity.
have a look at the actual rankings: https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=ranking
or the votes: https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resou ... sort=votes
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

sdibaja wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 pm DistroWatch Page Hit Rankings are just Page Hits, not popularity.
have a look at the actual rankings: https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=ranking
Interesting... I did not know about these other rankings.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

dcrowder wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:35 am
sdibaja wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 pm DistroWatch Page Hit Rankings are just Page Hits, not popularity.
Interesting... I did not know about these other rankings.
Me neither... I went there looking for their clear explanation of the "page hit" ranking.
That Page Hit thing kinda snowballs, someone writes a Blog (maybe even an unfavourable review), 30 people read it, and you get 25 new page hits... making that "new fail" look "popular" ... creating more new page hits.
Peter
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Mint will be at the top again with 19 and LMDE due. Manjaro is a nice distro. I did have issues with updates when I ran it, but people seem interested in it right now.
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

I tend to switch back and forth between Mint and Arch. Each has its strengths. Mint is more polished and stable, while Arch is bleeding edge and requires more work to set up and get looking right. Manjaro is great for people who want to try Arch but either are not real Linux savvy or just want Arch to work right out of the box. I wish Manjaro had a MATE version (official not Community).
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

KBD47 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:10 pm Mint will be at the top again with 19 and LMDE due.
I wouldn't bank on that. Mint will no longer offer an official KDE desktop environment for Mint 19.0 (Tara) and I have a feeling many people who were using Mint KDE switched over to Manjaro KDE. This could be one of the reasons why Manjaro is attracting lots of users for the last 4 months in it's recent climb up the ladder on DistroWatch.
Last edited by Night Wing on Wed May 09, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Night Wing wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:40 pm
KBD47 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:10 pm Mint will be at the top again with 19 and LMDE due.
I wouldn't bank on that. Mint will no longer offer an official KDE desktop environment for Mint 19.0 (Tara) and I have a feeling many people who were using Mint KDE switched over to Manjaro KDE. This could be one of the reasons why Manjaro is attacting lots of users for the last 4 months in it's recent climb up the ladder on DistroWatch.
It is a shame Mint had to let go of KDE right when Plasma has become awesome. I was so impressed with Kubuntu 18.04 that I immediately installed it on 2 of my computers. Mint has lots of fans though, and with 4 releases upcoming: Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, and Cinnamon LMDE, I will be surprised if Mint's numbers do not go up significantly.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

KBD47 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:10 pm Mint will be at the top again with 19 and LMDE due. Manjaro is a nice distro. I did have issues with updates when I ran it, but people seem interested in it right now.
True, whatever hits the press pushes the page hits up...

as far as Manjaro, the Live session is good, and it has a First Class installer... I believe it is the Calamares installer that SparlyLinux also uses.
That alone will keep it in favor.
They do Mate desktop very well. Unfortunately I was unable to get several of my most used apps working, so I gave it up.
Peter

Return to “Chat about Linux”