Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Post by rick gen »

It probably has to do with Mint devs dropping KDE.
Of course, users would look for alternatives.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If using KDE, why wouldn't anyone just use Kubuntu? I started with that on version 12, then over to Mint 14 about half year later.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Whatever the reason, Mint losing the #1 spot has nowhere the same reason Ubuntu has.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Miejer_Alied wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:51 amFirstly, 'itsfoss'; this site is meant not meant for linux users, it's for lazy bums, who don't want to invest their time in learning or understanding, what linux is.
Now, the article you referred to in your post, is written by a fellow, who just effin' loves to 'play' with linux; in addition to having no skillset required to do a good writeup. The stupid sub-headings, like 'tons of software', ' easy way to switch kernels', are strewn mindlessly.
The proof lies in the pudding, mate. I've been writing technical manuals for Maersk for about two decades & I say that these articles are only fit for the spoon-fed and hand-held types.
Marziano wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:53 amWith all due respect, belittling others and self-glorifying won't add any weight to your arguments. Actually, reading this, reflecting your attitude towards other people having deviant experiences and opinions than those of yours, I shouldn't have responded at all. But keeping silence in the face of demagoguery is not my biggest virtue.
Couldn't have said it better myself, Marziano.

Honestly, Miejer_Alied, apart from belittling and chest-beating, your post overall is pretty ambiguous. I read it top to bottom and came away with the sense that I can't really figure out whether you're pro or con Manjaro, Arch, KaOS, etc. And not to nag, but your use of commas and semicolons really tears up much of what you're writing, which is difficult enough given your abrasive tone.

You made comments about things being spoon-fed, and about problems cropping up that new-comers who aren't highly experienced in other developer-oriented distros would even know how to go about searching for, and then you ultimately said that “learning can never be forsaked [sic]” and so I'm left with a connundrum, and likely the same one that others are as well: where do you stand on what constitutes a good distro?

From my chair, here's what I believe. Intellectual laziness should be a crime. Learning should never be merely or purely by rote. Education needs to be intuitive and diagnostic because that's the best way to make it approachable for the learner. What I have heard many times over the years is that certain distros are "newb-ish" and this is said with great disdain, as though having a distro that's stable and doesn't require repetitive tinkering or near-coder-levels of knowledge to set up and configure is somehow a failing on the part of people who use it. Your post makes it seem like that's the direction you're going in, but again, it's ambiguously enough written to make it hard to pin down your intent.

Oh, and if Maersk hires people to write manuals who don't know tenses or punctuation rules, then either I want your job at twice the pay rate, or maybe that company just took a dive in my personal estimation.

Either way, the ball's in your court.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
SpectreOl

Post by SpectreOl »

There's a huge number of distros and versions out there and while distrowatch can give a hint as to what's popular, the site only shows the page hits for any given distro within the timeframe you specify. It can only be used as a guide to popular interest.

I have used mint for some time now and recently updated to mint18. I am aware that mint19 is out, but I have a tendency to leave it for a number of months to allow for any kinks to be worked out. Only once in my life have I rushed out for an os (paid for Windows 8 ) and got bit in the rear end as a reward, with issues. Hence, I wait..

I do feel more comfortable with linux now and keep getting the feeling that maybe there's a better os out there for me. So, I looked online at different versions and went to the local newsagents to browse linux magazines. 2 was available 'linux format' and 'Ubuntu'. Linux format was generalised and no other distro was on the shelf, other than Ubuntu - seems Ubuntu is popular (newsagents rarely stock magazines that don't sell).

Mint is not a bad os, is based on Ubuntu and is actually above Ubuntu on distro watch. This makes me wonder if I should distro hop and if I have to ask myself that, maybe there's no point in changing, I'm not exactly having any problems with it...

Manjaro is based on archlinux and while it's claimed to be faster, it's also claimed to have stability issues and is aimed at the more intermediate user. I see many posts and videos out there "why I moved from mint/Ubuntu to Manjaro" and "why I moved from Manjaro to mint/Ubuntu". Pretty circular, really..

So, there's the real answer for op..

Do your homework and see what is good for "you". Whilst such a post may be good for setting a conversation going and getting plenty of hits on your post, it's useless at helping "you". Only "you" can decide what's good for "you" and only "you" truly knows what are "your" needs..

Good luck to all folks with whatever distro/version #theyChoose and most of all have fun with the one os that is not intended at filling the pockets of various companies with people's hard earned cash.. that would be linux, may it continue to thrive..
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

SpectreOl wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:19 am Mint is not a bad os, is based on Ubuntu and is actually above Ubuntu on distro watch.
For the largest part by far, Mint *is* Ubuntu. The Ubuntu repo's are even in its sources list:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
The differences are very visible but in reality rather minimal. Those differences are, in my opinion, just sensible improvements upon an already excellent codebase. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
SpectreOl

Post by SpectreOl »

@ Pjotr +1

Agreed.. and Ubuntu has come a long way over the years..

Still, I found mint well usable as a beginner and still do now and until I can answer myself as to "why move?" and have no problem with it (other than those created by myself), I don't see any point in not sticking with mint..

It's not for me to sway anyone's choice or to promote a particular distro. There are many out there and it's up to the individual to chose what's good for them..

That said, my preference is mint and if anyone in my circle was to ask, I would recommend mint..
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Can Manjaro Linux be a real challenger to Linux Mint?

Post by zoli62 »

Arch has simplicity , nowadays is trendy. Manjaro is based on Arch. It uses rolling release model, it is user friendly, has clean interface. I've noticed that after many years using Linux Mint, Manjaro Linux is now installed on multiple machines, the latter is much easier to use. Is Manjaro Linux a true competitor for Linux Mint?
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Atm other than a few counter intuitive workflows (for some of us anyway) the only thing that really drags Manjaro down is AUR which has "everything" but only half of it is well maintained to actually work without extra effort. Because of the marketing giant that is Ubuntu (nvm the occasional false advertising it can be prone to) deb type packaging has soared to the point where almost everything either exclusively uses it or includes it. If AUR can be somehow brought up to competitive standards then something like Manjaro could become a force to be reckoned with but at the moment it only serves to drag it down. Money would be necessary but money alone is meaningless as can be seen with OpenSUSE not having had the same effect on rpm as Ubuntu has had on deb.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rambo919 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:33 am Atm other than a few counter intuitive workflows (for some of us anyway) the only thing that really drags Manjaro down is AUR which has "everything" but only half of it is well maintained to actually work without extra effort.
Mmm, not just poorly maintained - Malware found on AUR -
https://fullcirclemagazine.org/2018/07/ ... itory-aur/

But the PPA ecosystem is probably just as risky and poorly maintained to the novice user.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Personally, I have never felt the need to install anything from AUR in Manjaro. There are enough software in Manjaro's official repositories to satisfy the average user's need. With that said, there are ways to install deb-packaged software in Manjaro as well. It requires a bit of fiddling and the software installed won't get updates. The whole procedure must be redone to update to a new version. More fiddling :wink:
fdpg1963

Post by fdpg1963 »

I have used Mint 13 and 17 for many years which was great. However since version 18 bugs appeared, Wifi started dropping connection for 1 minute from time to time and FF and Chromium froze my laptop for no reason each 30 minutes or so. Ctrl-Alt-BS was the only way out.

Went to Manjaro Cinnamon and all problems are gone at the same hardware. Never went back but still like the Mint team and community. However, I just need stability. I will never use the AUR like I never used PPA's, both for security reasons.

And of course such a pity Mint dropped KDE
Ronshere

Post by Ronshere »

I posted the question on Distrowatch about why Manjaro is #1 a couple of times and each time it was rapidly deleted without any explanation.
Personally I distrust Distros ratings because of this. Just my personal feelings.
thursty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thursty »

As has been noted before...

It is just a "page hit ranking", not a rating. It is a tally, not anyones opinion about anything.
Multiple hits by an individual are reduced to one per day.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I wear out my flash drive trying other distros to see what they did. It never hurts to look but the bottom line is if you find one that works for you stick to it. Mint is a good distro with good people.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

fdpg1963 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:00 pm I have used Mint 13 and 17 for many years which was great. However since version 18 bugs appeared, Wifi started dropping connection for 1 minute from time to time and FF and Chromium froze my laptop for no reason each 30 minutes or so. Ctrl-Alt-BS was the only way out.

Went to Manjaro Cinnamon and all problems are gone at the same hardware. Never went back but still like the Mint team and community. However, I just need stability. I will never use the AUR like I never used PPA's, both for security reasons.

Likely, your problem was caused by your old LM-13-era computer being no longer compatible with LM 18.x's newer Linux kernels of 4.4 and above.

Seems, certain major Linux distros do not support very-old computers, eg more than 15 years old = very-old computers will have to use Linux Lite, anti-X or MX-17, Manjaro Linux, Puppy Linux, etc.
....... Similarly, M$'s Win 8.x/10 do not support the 2001-Win XP era computers, eg Intel Pentium 4.
fdpg1963

Post by fdpg1963 »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:35 am
fdpg1963 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:00 pm I have used Mint 13 and 17 for many years which was great. However since version 18 bugs appeared, Wifi started dropping connection for 1 minute from time to time and FF and Chromium froze my laptop for no reason each 30 minutes or so. Ctrl-Alt-BS was the only way out.

Likely, your problem was caused by your old LM-13-era computer being no longer compatible with LM 18.x's newer Linux kernels of 4.4 and above.

Seems, certain major Linux distros do not support very-old computers, eg more than 15 years old = very-old computers will have to use Linux Lite, anti-X or MX-17, Manjaro Linux, Puppy Linux, etc.
....... Similarly, M$'s Win 8.x/10 do not support the 2001-Win XP era computers, eg Intel Pentium 4.
I encountered this problems on my Asus Core i5 laptop so it's not out of date. It's running kernel 4.14 LTS Manjaro right now which is super stable.
Freezing only happened with Chromium and FF, not any other programs.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

fdpg1963 wrote:I encountered this problems on my Asus Core i5 laptop so it's not out of date. It's running kernel 4.14 LTS Manjaro right now which is super stable.
Freezing only happened with Chromium and FF, not any other programs..
That likely means your Asus laptop is too new for LM 18.x's default Linux kernel 4.4 to 4.10. Intel Kabylake processor.?

LM is a not-very-up-to-date but Stable release whereas Manjaro is a bleeding-edge but not-very-stable Rolling release. Eg the recent LM 19's kernel 4.15 does not yet fully support the newest 8th-gen Intel/AMD processors.

So, those who often want to upgrade and run the newest hardware should use Rolling releases or wait a bit for HWE releases(eg Ubuntu 18.10)
fdpg1963

Post by fdpg1963 »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:23 pm
fdpg1963 wrote:I encountered this problems on my Asus Core i5 laptop so it's not out of date. It's running kernel 4.14 LTS Manjaro right now which is super stable.
Freezing only happened with Chromium and FF, not any other programs..
That likely means your Asus laptop is too new for LM 18.x's default Linux kernel 4.4 to 4.10. Intel Kabylake processor.?

LM is a not-very-up-to-date but Stable release whereas Manjaro is a bleeding-edge but not-very-stable Rolling release. Eg the recent LM 19's kernel 4.15 does not yet fully support the newest 8th-gen Intel/AMD processors.

So, those who often want to upgrade and run the newest hardware should use Rolling releases or wait a bit for HWE releases(eg Ubuntu 18.10)
I guess it's not because my processor is a Intel Core i5-3230M (Ivy Bridge) released in 2013.

Don't get me wrong, I like both Mint and Manjaro but many months of experience showed me that Manjaro is much more stable for me despite the theory that Mint uses a bit older but tested software and Manjaro uses a rolling release model with newer versions. Manjaro's base, Arch, is bleeding edge indeed, Manjaro is semi bleeding edge. I use the LTS 4.14 kernel of Manjaro and never had any breakdown after updates. Manjaro also keeps 2 previous versions of all software in cache in case you want to roll back. Cinnamon, a product of the Mint team, seems to run better on my Manjaro than on Mint itself.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I expect some of the page hits are Mint KDE users looking at alternatives, causing a (possibly temporary) lead in page hit rankings.

Having said that, Manjaro KDE is really good for me, except a few things which need fixing. It is quite a bit quicker to respond than LM17.3 KDE 32-bit on the same hardware. Been running it for about a month now & did have to fix a couple of serious borkages caused by PEBCAK issues. :oops: I didn't see a 32-bit Manjaro .iso though? That would be an interesting experiment & if it resolves the KVM & printer driver issues then a dual-boot may be in order. Am going to see if I can get the scanner working later.

I've yet to experiment with the Mint KDE upgrade options.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux”