Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Post by BG405 »

oldgranola wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:09 pm buy?? I can see paying for an enterprise geared OS or paying for dedicated support but....
These are quite cheap and are offered as an alternative to downloading & verifying the ISOs yourself; useful where internet access is restricted (capped, metered etc.), slow &/or unreliable.
Derek_S wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:48 pm A far more meaningful way of measuring popularity would be based on the number of .iso files downloaded each day for each individual distro.
It might be closer, but quite often ISOs are downloaded but never used (I recently found a set of unused Ubuntu 12.04 disks), tried a few times & forgotten or just downloaded out of curiosity.

There are also those of us who get the whole set of ISOs for our chosen distros but only actually end up using a few of them for ourselves, the rest being for testing in VMs, possible distribution etc..
all41 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:14 pm Those page hit results are easily skewed by bots, fanbois, etc. and should not be considered an indicator of any sort.
Very good point!
catweazel wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:29 am never gave me any issues, apart from having to learn pacman commands
:mrgreen: It does take a bit of acclimatization, along with yaourt & the sometimes large choices of package versions & sources ...
catweazel wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:29 am If I had to go to another distro, I wouldn't discount manjaro. It seems to be well maintained and supported, and it's stable.
I'm using it now on my other machine, one thing I can say is it's really fast even on such limited hardware. There are, however, a few issues to sort out before I can call it fully set up.:roll: (KVM refuses to work though it did in Mint, for one thing).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I contacted Spatry.

We exchanged some emails.

He's promised to come back to youtube with new videos. His first in a long time probably will be about Mint Linux.

Wow, a lot of his subscribers are happily looking forward to them too!
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Reaccion Raul

Post by Reaccion Raul »

catweazel wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:29 am
Reaccion Raul wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 am I gotta say it looks nice, i agree this kind of tricks probably help. I've been thinking on Manjaro for a while, what stops me is that i need a stable system. Mint never let me down on this, but Manjaro seems more enjoyable.
I ran manjaro for a while when Mint announced it was no longer supporting KDE. It was stable and never gave me any issues, apart from having to learn pacman commands, but then I found out about KDE Neon. If I had to go to another distro, I wouldn't discount manjaro. It seems to be well maintained and supported, and it's stable.
i checked KDE Neon today, it looks truly amazing, very very good design. Also it seems like very efficient on resources which surprised me, never tried KDE before. i kinda like it, but i find it a bit messy too, so many options. i would need to expend some time to get used to it and i'm not for it right now. but more or less it looks like what i imagined GNOME to be before trying it.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Getting back to the topic: Just noticed today that on Distrowatch, if you change the data span to the last 30 days, Mint has fallen to #3. I don't recall Mint ever being below the #2 spot since I've become aware of it (and distrowatch). But like others have said in this thread, not really sure what it means, if anything. :wink:
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

(Remember, as soon as Mint 19 is released Mint will be at the top on the chart again.)
Wrote it in 2018/May when I was still using Mint 19 and till now Manjaro is above mint. geeks
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com

Return to “Chat about Linux”