32 bit distros to continue

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 32 bit distros to continue

Post by KBD47 »

My understanding is Firefox and Chrome have had updates to mitigate these attacks:
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/ ... ng-attack/
not sure I would throw out a perfectly working 32 bit machine. enough computers in landfills already.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

There will be a provider of 32 bit distros for as long as 32 bit machines are still out there . . :wink:
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

KBD47 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:49 pm My understanding is Firefox and Chrome have had updates to mitigate these attacks:
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/ ... ng-attack/
not sure I would throw out a perfectly working 32 bit machine. enough computers in landfills already.
LOL , can you imagine if someone suggested that you fix Microsoft Windows by updating the Browser? :mrgreen: :wink:

Rouge Apps , scripts , Email attachments , snaps , *.deb , flatpak ,zip , rar , games , Appimage just to mention a few , you can't stand guard over a PC 24/7 and micro manage every aspect.

Why would Linus Torvalds lie that it's all garbage until hardware changes are made by the manufacturers and why would the likes Ubuntu lie that the only recognized real attempt at fixing what we already have is currently only for 64 bit?

Upstream doesn't make any Money from it and the likes of Ubuntu loose Money from the time spent on support from all the failed upgrades on old hardware , they are just being responsible by putting users in the best position they currently have in protecting themselves.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Lucap wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 amLOL , can you imagine if someone suggested that you fix Microsoft Windows by updating the Browser? :mrgreen: :wink:
Spectre variant 2 requires a microcode update that won't be available to many systems, especially for anybody still running a 32 bit CPU they can forget about that as per Intel. Updating your software to versions that completely remove the code path for malware being able to exploit Meltdown or Spectre is the safe approach. Step one is updating the web browser as it's the most exposed component for home users.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... Linux-4.18

Punch in the nose for Intel as Arm has decided that 32bit is worth patching for Variant 1and 2 , That should keep Chromebook users happy.

Return to “Chat about Linux”