Debian Live can't see WiFi

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robosub

Debian Live can't see WiFi

Post by robosub »

Hi,
I'm running Debian Live Cinnamon from a USB drive to practice Linux. My computer's main OS is Windows 10, and I don't want to replace it, I just want to have a Linux desktop to play around with. I obviously have no Linux experience.
When running Linux my computer does not see available WiFi networks. I've been trying to fix this but I can't find several things, such as Driver Manager. It doesn't exist in this OS. Also, I've tried installing .tar files using Synaptic Package Manager, but can never locate them.
The Live version supposedly doesn't change the hard drive at all while running. Does that mean it doesn't have permission to install software or drivers? Can I fix this without doing a full install of Linux?
The screen, sound and USB mouse all work fine and needed no modification, so it's odd that the WiFi isn't working at all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Debian Live can't see WiFi

Post by xenopeek »

To be clear, do you actual Debian with "I'm running Debian Live Cinnamon" or you do mean "LMDE Live Cinnamon"? LMDE as in Linux Mint Debian Edition. There's quite a few differences between using Debian and using LMDE.
robosub

Post by robosub »

Actual Debian, sorry I didn't realize there was a difference. I can't learn anything about Linux without a decent Internet connection and I can't get Internet without knowing Linux. :/
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved topic here as it isn't about Linux Mint or LMDE.

Perhaps somebody here will respond but for support with Debian I'd suggest using the Debian forums: http://forums.debian.net/.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Debian is a fine Distro and one that is the basis for many others such as Ubuntu which is the base for Linux Mint.
But Mint and ubuntu have quite a few differences from Debian. If you want help with debian Then go to the Debian forum as suggested above.
If I were just learning Linux I think I'd use Linux Mint Live cinnamon which you can download from Here : https://linuxmint.com
The most likely culprit is a missing wireless driver which you'll have to install to get it working, but you'll need an ethernet connection inorder to do that easily.
Debian does not use Driver manager thats at ubuntu/mint tool. Give mint a try and if you still do not have wireless. It the live session type this in a terminal
and post the here.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you have no Linux experience Debian, while as mentioned is excellent, is just not suitable.

In fact if you ask the the typical sort of beginner question you're asking here on the Debian support forums, they're generally just going to suggest you install Ubuntu or Mint instead. Which is what I'd suggest too. Not LMDE, it just doesn;'t have the same support as the Mint Ubuntu based editions. Support is really the #1 thing that Linux newbies want because they're going to need it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”