ARM takes first steps in moving away from 32bit

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

ARM takes first steps in moving away from 32bit

Post by Lucap »

Arm emits Cortex-A76 – its first 64-bit-only CPU core (in kernel mode)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/31/arm_cortex_a76/
This move is part of Arm's unhurried stroll away from its years-old 32-bit instruction set. Supporting only 64-bit A64 in privileged modes simplifies the design of the CPU, freeing up space on the chip die for other features or potentially reducing its power draw.

Going fully 64-bit-only – for both apps and operating systems – is "the obvious next step," Peter Greenhalgh, Arm's veep of technology, told The Register, but stressed this will "take a little longer
And to think someone said i didn't know what i was talking about when i said that it was rumoured that ARM 32bit might be next to be dropped. :roll: :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: ARM takes first steps in moving away from 32bit

Post by Hoser Rob »

Lucap wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:06 am... And to think someone said i didn't know what i was talking about when i said that it was rumoured that ARM 32bit might be next to be dropped. :roll: :D
You going to do this every time you're proven right?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
noweare

Post by noweare »

Can't what until the embedded guys start using that core.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

noweare wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:51 am Can't what until the embedded guys start using that core.
Do you mean as in the Raspberry type boards?

Return to “Chat about Linux”