Migrate to Kubuntu 18.04

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sinitsynsv

Migrate to Kubuntu 18.04

Post by sinitsynsv »

As Linux Mint drop support kde eddition, is there any tutorial how to migrate to kubuntu 18.04?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Migrate to Kubuntu 18.04

Post by Pierre »

just like any installation, you would simply download the kubuntu 18.04 ISO,
and write it to some media and use it to overwrite the existing Linux System . . .
- or the Windows System for that matter.
:)
thus you would erase any existing system and replace it with that new system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
sinitsynsv

Post by sinitsynsv »

I don't want to erase existing system. I just want to upgrade from Linux Mint 18.3 KDE edition to Kubuntu 18.04
Retic1959

Post by Retic1959 »

sinitsynsv wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:36 am I don't want to erase existing system. I just want to upgrade from Linux Mint 18.3 KDE edition to Kubuntu 18.04
You can't "upgrade" from Linux Mint to Kubuntu , you have to install Kubuntu the same as Linux Mint .
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

sinitsynsv wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:36 am I don't want to erase existing system. I just want to upgrade from Linux Mint 18.3 KDE edition to Kubuntu 18.04
Backup your home directory, including hidden files and clean install.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pilfer

Post by Pilfer »

I know it's not Debian based but Manjaro KDE is by far the best KDE Distro I've used. Just a thought. Kubuntu is just fine though. But yea, no "migration". Backup your files on another drive or a flash drive or I guess a shit ton of DVD's.

Keeping everything but your OS on a separate drive(s) definitely makes this process a lot smoother :) Delete all the folders in your Home directory, make a bunch of sym links, move them over and rename them exactly as they were and you will never even notice.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Not possible, Mint is NOT Ubuntu. As mentioned back up and reinstall.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

There is no upgrade path from Mint to Kubuntu , You will have to do a fresh install. As mentioned you can back up all your personal data in your home folder including many of the hidden files and copy them to off machine media or the cloud and copy them back to your new install this will work for may programs and function but not all.
Good Luck on your choice. Think of it as a new challenge not a forced move.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

I would be very careful with copying over hidden files/folders in your home folder from and older system to newer one. There maybe incompatibilities arising from changes in the software that generates these hidden files/folders.
rado84

Post by rado84 »

sinitsynsv wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:28 am As Linux Mint drop support kde eddition, is there any tutorial how to migrate to kubuntu 18.04?
Keep in mind Kubuntu is very buggy. One of the major bugs it has (as well as any other distro with KDE) and because of which I went back to Cinnamon is the constantly crashing logout-greeter. Always crashes for no reason and no warning. You only get a message it has crashed. When that happens, you can't put your computer to sleep and/or reboot/shut it down. The only way to do the latter is hard reset from the button on the case. Idk about you, but to me this isn't the proper way to shut down/reboot any OS, so I'm forever done with the Krap DE.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

"constantly crashing logout-greeter"

Never had that happen.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I have had almost 0 crashes with Kubuntu 18.04 on my machine. never had the log out screen crash, did you report a bug for it?
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Kubuntu has not crashed one single time on three computers here.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

rado84 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:12 pm
sinitsynsv wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:28 am As Linux Mint drop support kde eddition, is there any tutorial how to migrate to kubuntu 18.04?
Keep in mind Kubuntu is very buggy. ...
You are not qualified to make such a statement. Simple as that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

First time I've heard anyone say Kubuntu is buggy. 18.04 Kubuntu has been flawless across 4 installations for me so far.
rado84

Post by rado84 »

kc1di wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:56 am I have had almost 0 crashes with Kubuntu 18.04 on my machine. never had the log out screen crash, did you report a bug for it?
"Almost" is the key word. So you did have crashes with Kubuntu 18.04. And no, I didn't report it. At the time I was just distro-hopping. One day with one distro, one day with another until I find The One distro that suits me best. So it happens The One distro was Mint Cinnamon. As for Kubuntu, just because 2-3 people never had a single crash of apps, that doesn't mean it's not buggy. Installation goes smoothly, you install the video driver, then install all security updates (without kernel ones), reboot and immediately after reboot you get the message about the greeter that it crashed. You do a hard reset (because there is no other way to reboot normally) and when the desktop appears, that message about the greeter appears again. You just ignore that message and proceed with other stuff to do, such as choosing a browser cuz Firefox isn't what it used to be and an audio player. You install these two and run an online radio to keep you company while making settings to the newly installed distro. Not 10 minutes have passed when the radio stops and you get a message telling you the audio process has stopped working. OMFG and you check to make sure you're not still using Windows by mistake. You make another hard reset, after which you wait a lot longer for the desktop to appear along with the greeter and audio process message. So you start digging info on Google about how to restart the audio process and make a starter on the desktop, so that you can do it with a double click instead of always typing the same in the terminal.
In the end it turns out you wasted 4.5 hours on Kubuntu in attempts to fight the constant crashing of the greeter and the audio process, so you just hop to the first distro you liked the most - Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and never look back.
Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:56 am You are not qualified to make such a statement. Simple as that.
You know what to do with my hose, Hoser. You don't know me, so you can't say what I'm qualified for. I'll call buggy any distro that doesn't behave as supposed to, especially after all the updates were installed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

rado84 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:59 am
kc1di wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:56 am I have had almost 0 crashes with Kubuntu 18.04 on my machine. never had the log out screen crash, did you report a bug for it?
"Almost" is the key word. So you did have crashes with Kubuntu 18.04. And no, I didn't report it.
The only problem I had was with getting wine to work correctly with one program that I still use, It was a wine problem not Kubuntu though as it turned out.
It's still a very solid distro. But one good thing about Linux is we have choices if one does not work for you move on.

Bug reports help all of us though as it gives developers some Idea of what might cause problems on certain hardware. Given your signature I would say the video card may be the problem with your machine. Just a guess.
Not many distros have the resources and personnel to test every possible problem.
In any event hope you find the right one for you.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

rado84 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:59 amOne day with one distro, one day with another until I find The One distro that suits me best. So it happens The One distro was Mint Cinnamon.
That's great. I'm sure you're perfectly happy. So let others be happy too with their choices :D
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

rado84 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:59 am...You know what to do with my hose, Hoser. ...
Lovely. So long.

Return to “Chat about Linux”