Linux Gaming

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Gaming

Post by MurphCID »

I am seeing more and more games that can be played on Linux on Steam. I certainly hope this is a growing trend.
Morgan Krieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Morgan Krieg »

I miss serious wargames on Linux. Have to run them through Wine unfortunately and sometimes getting bugs from it.

Also, the downside of there being much more new games on Linux is that they are made on Unity and often suffer from terrible performance. Sometimes I have an impression they'd work better on Wine if they'd be properly made.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i run epsxe through wine because it runs much better than running native in linux, but not sure which updates killed it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: runs fine in arch linux, where i have wine blocked from updates .

one thing that bugs me about linux, is if you don't constantly try all your programs after every update to see what's broken, you wake up one day with an application you want to turn on and it doesn't work. then you waste your time fixing it and by the time you're done, you scratch your head "who the hell has time for games, when i have to check if all the wine stuff works again"
gomerpile

Post by gomerpile »

EA games for example have 1.2 billion game players. 700 million online gamers. We cannot play our favorite online games currently in Linux, because of the lack of support for dx12. Don,t give me the BS that Linux steam machines let us play these games, they only allow you to play tic tac toe games, or 10 year old games or games that require little to no great filtering for graphics. I can play the exact games in windows. Wine cannot even come close to use the power I have in my machine, try to use your 400 dollar soundblaster card or try to use your m.2 Samsung 970 nvme drive. Try to get 4000mhz out of your new 600 dollar ram using Linux mint, try to use your 3d monitor watching 3d movies, or 3d games, U cant, I've tried many things to optimize my system for Linux and it ran like garbage. I have spent over 150 thousand dollars in computer hardware in the past 30 years and still the linux developers cannot get hardware to perform the way it needs to. That is the reason hardcore pc users stay with windows.
System spec
17 7700k
asus hero maxima MB
samsung 970 nvme m.2 drive
32 gig of kingston hyper x 4000 mhz ram
kingston hyper x ssd using asus hyper kit sata
2 1080 gtx crossed wired to use full 16e x bus
1500 watt evga psu
Saitex x52 pro flight controller
Sound blaster zxr
Asus 27inch vg278HR monitor
Cannot even use portion of this power using Linux mint, If u want to play tictactoe pc all your life stay with mint.
Last edited by gomerpile on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

gomerpile wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:11 pm
You should try Aisleriot. I'm sure you'll be hooked in no time!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

So far the linux ports on Steam play decently as far as I can tell.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It certainly would be nice if Ubisoft allowed Linux ports of their games. My daughter is absolutely hooked on Assassins Creed and Ghost Recon. Me, I am old and cannot "twitch" as fast, so I play Civilization and similar games.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Is it getting better?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:13 pm Is it getting better?
Apparently:

August 2018:

April 2019 (May numbers aren't out yet):
steam_linux_2019_04.png
steam_linux_2019_04.png (13.32 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
Steam's latest Proton version is based on Wine 4.2 now so works better, too.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

are there any free Steam Games to test ? i never bothered with steam because when i first tried it a long time ago i couldn't find any free games for it. or do you get your money back if the game you buy you don't like?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

trytip wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:02 am or do you get your money back if the game you buy you don't like?
Yes. No questions asked. See https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds. As long as you bought it in the past 14 days and haven't played it for longer than 2 hours. I've done that several times in the past. A game might have had issues running on Linux, otherwise be buggy or just plain not have been fun. Never had any problems getting a refund.

They also have free games for Linux. This is the best filter I could make for that, it might have a few titles that do have a price (instead of saying "Free" or "Free To Play" in the price column): https://store.steampowered.com/search/? ... 8&os=linux. Might be the types of games that have in-game purchases. I didn't see anything on it that would catch my fancy I think; Team Fortress 2 might be the best one.

There are almost 20 times as many games for Linux that do cost something and the selection becomes even bigger when you can consider you can play many Windows-only games on Linux as well these days through SteamPlay.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am so stoked that Baldur's Gate III is coming out, and I so hope the Steam has it available for Linux. I played the original, Version 2, and Icewind Dale for HOURS to the annoyance of my spouse-unit. One of my all time favorite games.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:56 pm I am so stoked that Baldur's Gate III is coming out, and I so hope the Steam has it available for Linux. I played the original, Version 2, and Icewind Dale for HOURS to the annoyance of my spouse-unit. One of my all time favorite games.
We used to go into our offices on the weekends and build PCs, just for playing a network game of BG1. It was buggy as hell in the beginning, but what a blast to play! While the new versions are done exceptionally well, I was hoping that they could have converted the rules set to at least v3 (like Icewind Dale). I'd have to assume that BG3 will have v5, correct?
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:24 am They also have free games for Linux. This is the best filter I could make for that, it might have a few titles that do have a price (instead of saying "Free" or "Free To Play" in the price column): https://store.steampowered.com/search/? ... 8&os=linux. Might be the types of games that have in-game purchases. I didn't see anything on it that would catch my fancy I think; Team Fortress 2 might be the best one.
Hey thanks for that! I haven't bothered with Steam because I've never really been a PC gamer and lately I've been spending a lot of time on my Nintendo Switch that I got a few months ago. But there's some interesting looking games on that free list that you put together. Thanks!
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ajgringo619 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:08 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:56 pm I am so stoked that Baldur's Gate III is coming out, and I so hope the Steam has it available for Linux. I played the original, Version 2, and Icewind Dale for HOURS to the annoyance of my spouse-unit. One of my all time favorite games.
We used to go into our offices on the weekends and build PCs, just for playing a network game of BG1. It was buggy as hell in the beginning, but what a blast to play! While the new versions are done exceptionally well, I was hoping that they could have converted the rules set to at least v3 (like Icewind Dale). I'd have to assume that BG3 will have v5, correct?
Everything I read says the makers of BG III are going to use V5 rules. I am so stoked, I look forward to this game.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Valve wants to make changes to the Linux Kernel to make it better for gaming. This could be a good thing...or not?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:38 am Valve wants to make changes to the Linux Kernel to make it better for gaming. This could be a good thing...or not?
Yes, it's probably a good idea. But the Linux games themselves (and Linux video drivers) tend not to be as well optimized as the Windows equivalents so it's not enough really. I still think gamers would be much better off if they kept a Windows partition.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:56 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:38 am Valve wants to make changes to the Linux Kernel to make it better for gaming. This could be a good thing...or not?
Yes, it's probably a good idea. But the Linux games themselves (and Linux video drivers) tend not to be as well optimized as the Windows equivalents so it's not enough really. I still think gamers would be much better off if they kept a Windows partition.
Maybe so, but I would like to see more games using Vulkan, and taking advantage of Linux.
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

trytip wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 ami run epsxe through wine because it runs much better than running native in linux, but not sure which updates killed it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: runs fine in arch linux, where i have wine blocked from updates .
Interesting post. I also use ePSXe, but the native version works just fine for me. I used this script to install it with custom shaders. Works amazing on old Dell Optiplex machines.

Since I'm still on Xenial, I use Wine via the official PPA (development branch, since I'm kinda naughty like that ;)), and I have no complaints about the build.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Anyone using Proton? If so, does it work well?

Return to “Chat about Linux”