Thunar menu icons and Gtk 3.22

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Thunar menu icons and Gtk 3.22

Post by trytip »

GTK+3.2230 has completely lost ability to show any decoration icons in menus . further more it is now affecting other cosmetic features in other applications that use gtk configs. thunar was updated today to 1.8 making toolbar icons inaccessible, it now uses ugly symbolics . custom actions are gone, xfce menu color can't be changed unless you edit theme

do yourself a favor and know only uncertainty awaits you when you reach the latest version. everything you think you know about how to customize your desktop will disappear
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Help Installing GTK+3.2230

Post by catweazel »

trytip wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 am GTK+3.2230 has completely lost ability to show any decoration icons in menus . further more it is now affecting other cosmetic features in other applications that use gtk configs. thunar was updated today to 1.8 making toolbar icons inaccessible, it now uses ugly symbolics . custom actions are gone, xfce menu color can't be changed unless you edit theme

do yourself a favor and know only uncertainty awaits you when you reach the latest version. everything you think you know about how to customize your desktop will disappear
Not wishing to detract from the OP's needs, do you have a reference for that?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

catweazel wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:14 am
trytip wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 am GTK+3.2230 has completely lost ability to show any decoration icons in menus . further more it is now affecting other cosmetic features in other applications that use gtk configs. thunar was updated today to 1.8 making toolbar icons inaccessible, it now uses ugly symbolics . custom actions are gone, xfce menu color can't be changed unless you edit theme

Not a big XFCE user but the ability to show icons in menu items isn't gone. It is deprecated and will be gone in gtk4. It's actually been deprecated since like gtk3.10. The use of symbolic icons also isn't dictated by gtk version. That's a design by the developers.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

JosephM wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 am
catweazel wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:14 am

Not a big XFCE user but the ability to show icons in menu items isn't gone. It is deprecated and will be gone in gtk4. It's actually been deprecated since like gtk3.10. The use of symbolic icons also isn't dictated by gtk version. That's a design by the developers.
Thanks, Joseph.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

oscarTheGrouch wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:05 am Thank you for the reply.
"Linux Mint 19 comes with Gtk+ 3.22. So before you waste a lot of time, why do you want this Gtk version?"
I'm not stuck on using a certain version of GTK, just wanted to try and write some GUI programs using Netbeans and GTK looked like a good way to do that.
I am using Linux Mint 18 'Sarah'. Would I have to reinstall Linux to get to 19?
Thamks,
OtG
Well, presumably if you know how to do computer programming you should know how to fix a completely broken OS, which is what you're going to end up with if you do this.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

EDIT: i have a tendency to get off topic
JosephM wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 am
catweazel wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:14 am Not wishing to detract from the OP's needs, do you have a reference for that?
either way it is designed it is no longer something a user can control. i can't capture all instances some i only noticed that either xfce is now using more GTK code or developers are going out of their way to make it act more like GTK
true, xfce still has button/menu icons but for a day custom actions were missing, archive plugin was bad maybe a product of upgrading and downgrading but i see things at least are now working still starting to look as if xfce is invaded by GTK and why are gnome devs afraid of icons? you mean in 2018 everything must be text mode menus? that's a step back in evolution.

leafpad with menu icons

gedit 3.28.1 no menu icons (same for the rest of GTK apps

thunar 1.6.15 home button and navigating arrows respect the icon theme

thunar 1.8 no longer respecting my icon theme

i used to be able to mix dark and light theme so i would have dark menus dark windows but light background. i can't seems to get that back editing any gtk settings. why developers change things around like this is baffle me. now i must add thunar and some dependencies to block updating and must downgrade again, but not sure how long before developers decide to change things again
Last edited by trytip on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Thunar menu icons and Gtk 3.22

Post by xenopeek »

Split and moved here as this is entirely unrelated to original topic, which was about getting started with Gtk development. Please in the future, don't hijack topics this way.

Return to “Chat about Linux”