I really don't understand the burning tools anymore...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rado84

I really don't understand the burning tools anymore...

Post by rado84 »

In Windows 7 (a VM really but still - a Windows) ImgBurn says "can't burn on this disk". Put it out, put it in - still the same. So I shut the VM down and try XFBurn - "There's no media in the device". Brasero - the same. I was gettting desperate and decided to try K3B, altough I already know by previous experience it finds errors in everything. And suddenly - K3B detected the freaking media being inside the device. Still, it showed the same message about missing media and yet, when I pressed the "Burn" button, the process started and the files were burned on the DVD. On top of that they're fully functional.

I really don't understand the burning tools anymore.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: I really don't understand the burning tools anymore...

Post by Portreve »

On those rare few occasions I have the need to burn an optical disc, my go-to in GNU+Linux is K3B. I've always viewed it as a professional program in all but status (in the sense that it's not a commercial program).

To be honest, though, I haven't needed to burn a CD or DVD in ages. I'm wondering if it's slowly becoming an "irrelevant" kind of program any longer, and so effort that would have been put into it in times past just isn't any longer.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I really don't understand the burning tools anymore...

Post by mediclaser »

Oh, I have had this DVD/CD drive issue in the past. Apparently, the shafts where the laser lens assembly moves back and forth had collected enough dust/dirt due to not using the optical drive for too much long. The amount of dust accumulated was enough to prevent the head from moving at full range. What I did was remove the drive and clean the shafts with alcohol (moving the lens assembly back and forth), and the drive worked again.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

Return to “Chat about Linux”