MS looks a bit silly here ...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

MS looks a bit silly here ...

Post by Hoser Rob »

I guess their Linux project has a way to go yet ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/14 ... ebian_dev/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: MS looks a bit silly here ...

Post by Portreve »

It's quite possible it's deliberate on Microsoft's part. It's not like they don't have a history of deliberately screwing up stuff done by others.

That said...

The next time you hear The Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" on the radio, that song was commissioned by Microsoft for the launch of Windows 95.

They wanted so desperately to be trendy and hip like Apple, and they keep failing at it. So, incompetence. (After all, it is a hallmark of Microsoft.)
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Linux does things totally different then the way Windows does. So it is no surprised that Microsoft is having problems with their Linux distro.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Actually there are many huge corporations that contribute to the Linux Project and there have been for years. MS is one of the biggest contributors. So it's not like they're that unfamiliar.

And to suggest it was sabotage is just your everyday tinfoil hat ignorance.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 amAnd to suggest it was sabotage is just your everyday tinfoil hat ignorance.
Or, it could be that Portreve is simply familiar with Microsoft's past history.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
SpectreOl

Post by SpectreOl »

Portreve wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:38 pm It's quite possible it's deliberate on Microsoft's part. It's not like they don't have a history of deliberately screwing up stuff done by others.

That said...

The next time you hear The Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" on the radio, that song was commissioned by Microsoft for the launch of Windows 95.

They wanted so desperately to be trendy and hip like Apple, and they keep failing at it. So, incompetence. (After all, it is a hallmark of Microsoft.)
https://youtu.be/l9Eti38Vzkk
You mean this song? Lol
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:38 pm It's quite possible it's deliberate on Microsoft's part. It's not like they don't have a history of deliberately screwing up stuff done by others.

That said...

This is sort of captured in the movie "THE PIRATES OF SILICON VALLEY". Bill Gates was the opposite of hip and trendy.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

jimallyn wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:45 pm
Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 amAnd to suggest it was sabotage is just your everyday tinfoil hat ignorance.
Or, it could be that Portreve is simply familiar with Microsoft's past history.
Once is happenstance; twice is circumstance; three times is enemy action.
Don't stop where the ink does.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

That said...

[ Emphasis added. ]
I'm suggesting that it is most likely a combination of deliberate ham-fisting and general incompetence. There's no way they're ever going to give up trying to plant the idea in their (majority share of all computer users on the planet) customers' minds that GNU+Linux isn't quite ready for prime time, or isn't quite as good as Windows.

Why do you think that even to today you've never been able to buy a fully feature-equal-to-Windows MS Office set of locally installed software for Classic Mac OS or Mac OS X? That's just one example. I'm certain there's a multitude of others I've simply forgotten over the decades. Suffice it to say, they're a bit on the rocks right now in certain areas, and I would no more trust them than I'd trust a lion or a wolf.

If someone were to (metaphorically) nuke their HQ and raze all their facilities to the ground, I would not shed a tear.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I agree that Windows sucks big time. I have windows 10 on my computer for only one reason and that is so I can burn
backups of DVDs. A whole operating system that I absolutely despise just for one little program. Why? Because in all
of the hundreds of Linux distros there doesn't even exist one single app that will compress and copy a DVD. So though
I love Linux, especially Mint, it is far from perfect. The DVD thing is one thing, but Linux has horribly a audio system
as well. And don't even get me started on Mac and the outrageous pricing or the hoops you have to jump through just
to use it. I've been a faithful Linux user for about fourteen years and I do love it, but it can be annoying sometimes too.
:) :roll:

Return to “Chat about Linux”