Why oh Why can't we make Linux better looking

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Why oh Why can't we make Linux better looking

Post by Portreve »

At the moment, Mac4Lin is not LM 19 compatible. I've since set things back to how I had them before with just minor cosmetic tweaks to Cinnamon. However, if I could have a sort of super-Aqua-ish Cinnamon desktop, that would please me no end.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

ud6 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:44 am
BubbaBlues wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:58 pm I figured I try Mate because xfce was giving me too many problems. I gotta say I'm liking it! Mate has changed a lot
in the last couple of years and the Cairo dock seems to be working great. I just might be in love again. :D

Screenshot at 2018-08-05 19-16-55.jpg
Nice desktop. I tried Cairo and is very pretty but I'm just used to mate standard panel (though I make it almost completely transparent). Which brings me to my main point.. I guess when we say Mint is ugly, it is through comparison to mac and Windows. Personally I don't like either, and neither is as customisable as linux (I'm wondering what we're complaining about.. I spent yesterday evening making new folder icons for the sub folders I use at work so I can put them on retractable side panel on left of screen, speeding up productivity).

But to those that like win/mac, have they tried Zorin OS? (I haven't, but heard it is nice for those transferring from those OSs).
I used to use Zorin and loved it, but that was back in the gnome 2 days. It's still a good dependable system but very limited on configurability
now days although it's pretty pleasing to the eyeball as is. I just prefer making things my own.
lsemmens wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:36 pm
BubbaBlues wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:58 pm I figured I try Mate because xfce was giving me too many problems. I gotta say I'm liking it! Mate has changed a lot
in the last couple of years and the Cairo dock seems to be working great. I just might be in love again. :D

Screenshot at 2018-08-05 19-16-55.jpg
Now that is a pretty theme, maybe we should all develop a Telecaster DE and give Cinnamon the flick............................................... :wink:
I like the way you think lsemmens! 8)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:32 am At the moment, Mac4Lin is not LM 19 compatible. I've since set things back to how I had them before with just minor cosmetic tweaks to Cinnamon. However, if I could have a sort of super-Aqua-ish Cinnamon desktop, that would please me no end.
Me too!
JRvZ

Post by JRvZ »

What is the issue here? running well or looking pretty?
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Well with Mint KDE you get both...which brings us back to the original post. haha
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

BubbaBlues wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:13 pm Well with Mint KDE you get both...which brings us back to the original post. haha
and first generation lmde2, but those days are over.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:46 pm Fonts, Icons, why can't we make it better looking? Granted Apple and Microsoft have ridiculous budgets for that sort of thing, but with all the brilliant talent out there, why can't we make Linux look better? I love LIbre Office, but its icons are ugly compared to others. For some that is a big turn off, so what can we do?
The icons of a single program wouldn't drive me off. If the icons of the entire OS suck (Manjaro) - well, that will definitely would drive me off cuz it's one thing to replace the icons of one program and quite a different job to replace every single icon in the entire OS.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

sdibaja wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:21 pm
BubbaBlues wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:13 pm Well with Mint KDE you get both...which brings us back to the original post. haha
and first generation lmde2, but those days are over.
As my old grandma used to say "Them was the good ol' days"
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Valsodar wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:28 pm The icons of a single program wouldn't drive me off. If the icons of the entire OS suck (Manjaro) - well, that will definitely would drive me off cuz it's one thing to replace the icons of one program and quite a different job to replace every single icon in the entire OS.
?? - It's a two click job to change the icon theme.....might take a bit longer to find and download one you like if it's not in the repos.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

smurphos wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:58 am might take a bit longer to find and download one you like if it's not in the repos.
And what do you have left to do when you don't like what's in the repo? Manually change each icon.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Valsodar wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:42 am
smurphos wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:58 am might take a bit longer to find and download one you like if it's not in the repos.
And what do you have left to do when you don't like what's in the repo? Manually change each icon.
Looks like you replied to it but did not read it...
No. When you don't like what's in the repo, you can find and download another icon theme, which you can then use to replace all your icons in one go. Not manually one by one.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

Moem wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:47 am Looks like you replied to it but did not read it...
No. When you don't like what's in the repo, you can find and download another icon theme, which you can then use to replace all your icons in one go. Not manually one by one.
Oh, I read it. And while this can be done for Mint, it's not the same with Manjaro, for instance. When I installed Manjaro on a VM to try it, none of the icon themes I could find was pretty enough and all of them looked like they were made by a second grader using an ancient version of MS Paint. That's one of the 2 reasons I abandoned Manjaro. The other reason is an offtopic.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Valsodar wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:25 am while this can be done for Mint, it's not the same with Manjaro, for instance.
Thanks for clarifying that. I'm surprised, I've heard good things about Manjaro and the ability to drop an icon theme in seems like a pretty basic feature.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I've read good things about manjaro too. Then I tried it while looking for a KDE replacement to Mint (there is no replacement btw).
I was less than impressed, but in all fairness, I can't stand arch or any spawn from it. There is no replacement for .deb package
management either. I don't know, maybe I'm just spoiled. Mint will do that to you. :roll:
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Moem wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:38 am
Valsodar wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:25 am while this can be done for Mint, it's not the same with Manjaro, for instance.
Thanks for clarifying that. I'm surprised, I've heard good things about Manjaro and the ability to drop an icon theme in seems like a pretty basic feature.
The basic mechanics of adding a downloaded zipped icon theme to ~./icons is exactly the same in Manjaro Cinnamon as Mint Cinnamon. I haven't looked at what's available via Pacman or AUR, but then again I quite like the default Manjaro Cinnamon icon pack :.

Edit - there are loads of icon themes in the Arch repos...
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

smurphos wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:30 am Edit - there are loads of icon themes in the Arch repos...
Like I said above, the icons problem isn't the only reason I abandoned Manjaro. The other reason is for a topic named "Why oh Why we can't make Manjaro better working and not screwing up our MBR".
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Valsodar wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:12 am
smurphos wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:30 am Edit - there are loads of icon themes in the Arch repos...
Like I said above, the icons problem isn't the only reason I abandoned Manjaro. The other reason is for a topic named "Why oh Why we can't make Manjaro better working and not screwing up our MBR".
Seriously? :) Wow.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

:lol: :lol: I'm sure that was appreciated.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I used my Macbook Pro last night, and once more was amazed at how good it looks in terms of graphics compared to either Windows or Linux. We can do better, we should not accept ugly fonts, and ugly graphics. If I could program, I would take on the task. But alas, I limited out with Basic years ago.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:46 pmWhy oh Why can't we make Linux better looking
It looks just fine as is. No change is needed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Chat about Linux”