What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Post by Pjotr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:26 pm

hbmcc wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:44 pm
You have a problem! And it starts at the start.
I don't have a problem. Are you seriously thinking that people will want to help you with *your* Linux problems? With that attitude?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kKXvDaJIzQ
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

hbmcc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hbmcc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm

My apologies to the monitors. My mistake. My insult and I'm sorry.

And, I haven't said much to deserve respect. Intentionally. I am testing the water and reactions can say so much. To the problem ... which is not a problem until Linux fades away with the merry pranksters. The 'issue' is for the next post.

And, Good day.
Let's try this one: Irascible? No. A grumpy old fart.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:42 am

hbmcc wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm
Intentionally. I am testing the water and reactions can say so much.
That's nice, but these are people you are dealing with, and we're not here to take part in any kind of experiment. If you want to know what to expect from the participants of this forum, read... there are plenty of interactions that will say just as much.
Or just be brave and post your questions. What's the worst that can happen? An unpleasant discussion? That's the other thing the moderators are for.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:02 am

hbmcc wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:50 pm
So, why should I digress, return to the womb, to use a 'mature' disco-roller? Discotheque. Gads! That stuff was bad even then, but history must primp and polish. Just call it distribution.

Next: Let's grow up and speak real language.
Darers go first.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:11 am

This is one of the most, if not THE most newbie friendly board on the internet. I have nothing bad to say about this board.

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:43 am

Moem wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:42 am
hbmcc wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm
Intentionally. I am testing the water and reactions can say so much.
That's nice, but these are people you are dealing with, and we're not here to take part in any kind of experiment. If you want to know what to expect from the participants of this forum, read... there are plenty of interactions that will say just as much.
Or just be brave and post your questions. What's the worst that can happen? An unpleasant discussion? That's the other thing the moderators are for.
Agreed.

webwrx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by webwrx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:25 pm

vladtepes wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:05 pm
Looking at user group 2 - what reasons do you think send new people running away from Linux?
Well.. that was me. Years of frustration with Windows and then growing incompatibility of an older OS/X iMac which I loaded with Ubuntu and was quite happy with, until the hard drive crashed. It was time to upgrade anyway, and the new desktop I bought came pre-loaded with Win 8 which I upgraded to Win10 and when purchasing I had every intention to put Ubuntu on the new PC. But I guess I was bedazzled a little and wanted to give Win10 a try after being out of the Windows ecosystem since XP.... so I restored my files and worked with Windows as best I could, but the whole thing was very disappointing and I missed Ubuntu, so I attempted a dual boot install which failed so I gave up and stuck with Win10 for a while.

Eventually Win10 become so bad I had no choice but to make the dual boot work, so now I'm back this time in Mint, and I'm just about at a point where I enough confidence to delete the Windows partition.

oldgranola
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oldgranola » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 am

Often the horns of a dilemma are false. This is false. One shouldn't think there really is negative Boolean choice of 'im microsoft [OR] Linux [OR] IOS [OR] Android[Or].....Just like 'you look more pretty with a [SMILE] than a [FROWN], you look smarter with an [AND] than an [OR].

Most of us interact with multiple computing devices at work and at home. Most people have multiple experiences with multiple versions of all of these. Some of us go back pre PC-Dos even....IBM Dec Alpha, VMS, original AppleOS, ....Make it [AND]. Its stupid to think its [OR].

So here we have a bunch of free distros in linux that work really well for desktop and rehab laptops. Don't want to play and learn something? You don't change your own oil, pump your own gas, change your sparkplugs, crank a wrench once in a while? No sympathy from me. Go ahead and pay but don't complain
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

FinixFighter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FinixFighter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:05 pm

I think a lot of people are used to see a certain graphic, and when they switch to Linux it is like putting an old person in front of a computer for the first time; it doesn't matter what OS is installed (Windows, Linux, Mac etc...), he won't be able to do anything. In fact, I think that projects like Zorin OS are useful to make the transition more gradual and simple (I think that also Mint is good in this); try to think to the difference between Zorin and Ubuntu, Zorin looks more like Windows compared to Ubuntu, so it can be a valid alternative to begin to use Linux, but.... I have to say that I saw a lot of person (who is not expert with computers) who think that Linux and Ubuntu are two separate things; more over, they don't know that there are alternatives to Ubuntu (for example Mint or Zorin) which are more user friendly, so they are not encouraged to make the switch because the environment is too different from Windows. And also if they switch to a Linux system, then there is another possible problem. Let's suppose that this user uses Solidworks for working and he usually plays Crossfire EU in his free time(a free game only available for Linux). Also if the new user is comfortable with the new environment, it's possible that he will come back (forced) to Windows, because neither Soldiworks nor Crossfire run on Linux. For this reason, I can say that the most important thing to develop in order to attract more users are:
1 - an as easy as possible customizable desktop environment (in order to attract users who do not want to switch to a completely different environment)
2 - improve the compatibility with Windows programs through apps like Wine and PlayOnLinux (I think these projects are so important and need to be supported).
These are the two most important point, in my opinion.

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:10 am

I cant disagree with many of the points here, but I also think that there is a huge user base out there waiting to come over but Linux is its own worst enemy. We as a community need to understand that most users of computers are like my dad, they want familiar desktops that work the way they understand, and for it to just work. They don't want to tinker, they want it to just work, sort of like a major appliance.

ChingonKaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChingonKaz » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Personally id say lack of comtability ...wine and POL are far from perfect and having to use a danish cad/ electrical program for schoolworks is where i caved and had to get a "loaner" from School. I tried installing windows librarys after giving up with wine..so yes the biggest challenge in my book is lack of these programs..this includes programs that plc manufacturers provide...like siemens, omron etc...if anyone has a workaround feel free to bump me..

Return to “Chat about Linux”