What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Post by rambo919 »

majpooper wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:41 am Good post Rambo - I have to agree we have seen some really good posts illustrating:
1.) confusing causation with correlation
2.) Windows way = right way
3.) If I don't understand it = linux bad
MurphCID wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:30 am Agreed. But Microsoft has convinced people, mainly through inertia that C:\ and D:\ is the way drives should be seen, it has been that way from the old DOS days. So we need to educate, not indoctrinate.
A big issue is just the massive paradigm shifts in perception of how computers work required.

Insulting people is just no way to convince them you are here to help.... and some people simply won't shift any paradigm they hold no matter what so they are a lost cause anyway.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

You may already know this but you can make real symlinks in Windows, using mklink. Even across drives.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I think I represent a certain percentage of Linux adoptees, in that I really DON'T care about getting too far under the hood, I just want something that works, and if it breaks, I can find a fix that I can understand how to apply. I really do not want to write bash scripts, do too much configuring other than light theme work and being able to install and update my software. I am not and never will be a "wizard" nor will I be a bug muncher. I will forever be that guy who can install it, and use it just so long as there are not too many issues with the installation. And I do not care, I am happy at my linux level.
curiousgaruda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by curiousgaruda »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:06 am I think I represent a certain percentage of Linux adoptees, in that I really DON'T care about getting too far under the hood, I just want something that works, and if it breaks, I can find a fix that I can understand how to apply. I really do not want to write bash scripts, do too much configuring other than light theme work and being able to install and update my software. I am not and never will be a "wizard" nor will I be a bug muncher. I will forever be that guy who can install it, and use it just so long as there are not too many issues with the installation. And I do not care, I am happy at my linux level.
You nailed it. Despite having used Linux since 2000, I am still in the above category, though I can do quite a lot of things with Linux.

However, most people who try Linux are like the typical Android users. The reason they run back to Windows, in my opinion, is that all they want is a daily machine that they can use without much intervention on their part. Lack of games, other apps and other reasons are secondary. They would like to have an OS installed either by someone or have a simple installation without much fuss. They probably would want to save files easily, listen to music, work on documents, browse the internet, add or remove programs, change settings, customize their computer - all with a few clicks of a mouse without ever having to open the terminal.

Think about it - how many lay Windows users will ever run the cmd command? However in Linux, even if you can accomplish things in GUI, most online help will be provided in terms of bash commands. Very few users, other than the Linux enthusiasts have the aptitude, time and energy to play with the terminal.

Not to mention the infinite permutations and combinations of Linux distributions, flavours, desktop environments, and applications. Linux has been a victim of its own success. Instead of a few standardized versions, say as in Windows Pro, Home etc, there are too many to choose and no two of them are same leading to confusion to the the lay user who migrates from Windows.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Cat herding dude, cat herding.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

This thread was started by vladtepes on 30 Jul 2018
Died after 572 posts on 04 Aug 2019
Revived by MurphCID on 03 Dec 2021
Currently the thread is counting 1247 posts
During this 4-year discussion at least 3000 noobs ran away from Linux Mint
Still the thread is not running away...
-=t42=-
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

Maybe you should've posted the above at some place where Mint developers actually read. :roll:
But even then things wouldn't change for the better, because... things. At least we know we're hopelessly barking at the moon.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

t42 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:25 am This thread was started by vladtepes on 30 Jul 2018
Died after 572 posts on 04 Aug 2019
Revived by MurphCID on 03 Dec 2021
Currently the thread is counting 1247 posts
During this 4-year discussion at least 3000 noobs ran away from Linux Mint
Still the thread is not running away...
Well darn, I have been caught being a Necromancer. :D I thought it was a good thread for some self reflection as a community.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

How about ending this thread (talk about beating a dead horse) and starting a new on "how to help noobs understand why linux is not Windows but can be a good alternative"
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

majpooper wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:19 pm How about ending this thread (talk about beating a dead horse) and starting a new on "how to help noobs understand why linux is not Windows but can be a good alternative"
What he said and add how to give people complete, step-by-step directions.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

majpooper wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:19 pm How about ending this thread (talk about beating a dead horse) and starting a new on "how to help noobs understand why linux is not Windows but can be a good alternative"
I agree!
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

I agree!
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

First you have to make them understand that Windows is not a good way of doing things.... going on about the usual gripes won't convince anyone that does not already think so.
Neigdoig
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Neigdoig »

What sends noobs running back to the spyware ridden Windows mainly has to do with ease of use. I started my Linux journey using Manjaro for a bit, but primarily, I use Mint now, and I don't mind the setup.
Opposite_Keith

Post by Opposite_Keith »

something like with linux is generally pretty new to people who first try it out since they havent had this kind of freedom to an extent with windows. those who switch back to windows it becomes apparent on how difficult it is to switch even if they install linux using a dual boot. with applications that are either windows exclusive or just doesnt support linux sorftware for whatever reason. it becomes a challenge where some are gonna see as a reason to go back to windows despite the its own flaws.
ellymae
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ellymae »

I will often look for a GUI implementation because I have looked up the CLI, and it was simply too complicated. The GUI will sometimes generate the command for me, and I use that. It's much easier to learn a command by first using the GUI to understand better what the command is about. Then, after some time, I will "take the training wheels off," and just use the command, usually putting it in a stupid simple script so that I don't have to deal with the syntax until a change is needed.

Return to “Chat about Linux”