What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Post by MurphCID »

Noobster seems to see Linux as something where anything can only be done in Terminal, how do we change that perception?
Rooo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rooo »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:21 am Noobster seems to see Linux as something where anything can only be done in Terminal, how do we change that perception?
by using gui`s more in newbie questions,then easing them into using terminal??? like:-

"Try using this option,in this gui,then use this option,then this e.t.c ....

/some pictures - with what to click on highlighted

this can also be done easily in the terminal by simply entering this command ------- "

like it or not,Windows is a Gui driven o/s - and thats what most expect coming to linux - if you ease them in,they will stick around and dig around later
Forum Pest ...

"Easy tips for Linux Mint and Ubuntu, both for beginners and for advanced users" https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Rooo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:29 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:21 am Noobster seems to see Linux as something where anything can only be done in Terminal, how do we change that perception?
by using gui`s more in newbie questions,then easing them into using terminal??? like:-

"Try using this option,in this gui,then use this option,then this e.t.c ....

/some pictures - with what to click on highlighted

this can also be done easily in the terminal by simply entering this command ------- "

like it or not,Windows is a Gui driven o/s - and thats what most expect coming to linux - if you ease them in,they will stick around and dig around later
I agree, ease them into it, get them comfortable with Linux first then have them start (SLOWLY) using terminal to do things.
Rooo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rooo »

seems more work for the tech help guy at first,but once made those posts are re-usable .. anyone can re-quote the author :)

maybe a forum section,locked for us nooobs (but we can read it) ,where techies can easily draw from would help?
Forum Pest ...

"Easy tips for Linux Mint and Ubuntu, both for beginners and for advanced users" https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Rooo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:43 am seems more work for the tech help guy at first,but once made those posts are re-usable .. anyone can re-quote the author :)
The GUI is too different between the desktop environments and themes that people use, and changes too often, for this to be feasible in my eyes. It's indeed a LOT more work for the tech help guys and gals here. They, after all, are only volunteers.

But it's perfectly fine not to be into terminal usage as a Mint user. If you can open one, and copy/cut/paste from and into it, that is really all you need to know. I see no need to want to ease anyone into it... if they aren't interested, they aren't interested. Just like me! :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Rooo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rooo »

Moem wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:48 am
The GUI is too different between the desktop environments and themes that people use, and changes too often, for this to be feasible in my eyes. It's indeed a LOT more work for the tech help guys and gals here. They, after all, are only volunteers.

But it's perfectly fine not to be into terminal usage as a Mint user. If you can open one, and copy/cut/paste from and into it, that is really all you need to know. I see no need to want to ease anyone into it... if they aren't interested, they aren't interested.
I`ve read a lot of great posts lost in threads ... was thinking something like a template section techies could draw from,save typing and searching over and over ... just an idea :)
Moem wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:48 am Just like me! :wink:
says the techie with 13712 posts :P

defo need a thanks button ;) /runs!
Forum Pest ...

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Rooo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:51 am the techie with 13712 posts :P
All those posts and I still prefer the GUI! 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

Yep, I'm a GUI (and mouse) person too.

Coming from (old) Windows to Mint a couple years ago (or more?) I am still appalled at the lack of cascaded menus (in Cinnamon, at least; dunno about the other DEs), to name only one of the important things I miss. Ever since first installation I started tweaking and customizing desperately in an attempt to make it at least acceptable. Still haven't finished, probably never will. If I ever do it, assuming I'll still be alive, then my 19.2 version - which for various reasons can't and won't upgrade - will already be long obsolete. :(

Linux is taking so much after the new Windows lately that people probably just wouldn't bother with its learning curve on top of its own bugs and issues and shortcomings. Dropping support for "obsolete" - albeit perfectly working - hardware in kernels, dropping useful GUI features (Shade button in window titlebar anyone?), and other things - all this is bit by bit the M$ way and it's now in Linux as well. So why bother? Maybe - just maybe - because in Linux updates can be delayed or refused altogether, while in Windows they're forced upon users, in many cases at the worst possible time and with sometimes dreadful consequences. But give it time.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:31 pm
Rooo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:51 am the techie with 13712 posts :P
All those posts and I still prefer the GUI! 8)
Drugwash wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:05 pm Yep, I'm a GUI (and mouse) person too...
And yet another GUI and rodent person chiming in (I hate, despise, detest, and loathe touch pads and touch screens; I also don't like them).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:39 pm I hate, despise, detest, and loathe touch pads and touch screens; I also don't like them
I simply don't use them. I also do not like mice; my weapon of choice is the trackball and, when I'm using my laptop*, the trackpoint.

*which is most of the time

Windows2LinuxNoob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Windows2LinuxNoob »

TLDR but I am one of those that is happy I know something many “typical” PC users don’t. Linux users are elite. They use a more powerful OS than the proprietary, closed-source systems. Whether it be something simple like the great Mint distro or Arch, you’re using an elite OS comparatively. I’m proud of that where I have the aptitude and patience to learn something that has shown me what real computing can be. Proprietary OSs deprive you of what you can truly do with your machine(s). I was tired of installing, configuring, repairing, etc proprietary OSs for not only my stuff, but others. Linux fixed that. Haven’t looked back since. Gotta love my username because I’m no longer a Linux noob…
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Moem wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:52 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:39 pm I hate, despise, detest, and loathe touch pads and touch screens; I also don't like them
I simply don't use them. I also do not like mice; my weapon of choice is the trackball and, when I'm using my laptop*, the trackpoint.

I wanted to learn how to use a trackball since they require far less desk real estate to use but I never could get the hang of them (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble). Two weeks was the longest I could last using one before I was a candidate for a rubber room.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

A good combination of settings can reduce the space required for mouse movement, but the hand (and the eye) may require a bit of training. Before this Mint notebook I used to use a Win98SE and a WinXP at the same time, with both mice on the same pad due to lack of space. And they were ball mice without wheel. So when there's a will there's a way. :wink:
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:24 pm

I wanted to learn how to use a trackball since they require far less desk real estate to use but I never could get the hang of them (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble). Two weeks was the longest I could last using one before I was a candidate for a rubber room.
Same here - I just don't have the fine motor skills to operate a track ball - the pointer just darts all over the place - so my "mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble" has a few expletives. When ever I have to get on my wife's PC I have to plug in a usb mouse and switch it to right handed - even though she is also right handed she keeps the track ball on the left so she can write with her right hand while operating the track ball with her left hand . . . . . yeah, try that out.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Drugwash wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:43 pm A good combination of settings can reduce the space required for mouse movement, but the hand (and the eye) may require a bit of training. Before this Mint notebook I used to use a Win98SE and a WinXP at the same time, with both mice on the same pad due to lack of space. And they were ball mice without wheel. So when there's a will there's a way. :wink:
I need a mouse to be as slow possible for when I have to make teensy weensy mouse movements. Even with my mouse settings as slow as I can get them, the little rodents still move too fast.

majpooper wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:56 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:24 pm

Same here - I just don't have the fine motor skills to operate a track ball - the pointer just darts all over the place - so my "mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble" has a few expletives. When ever I have to get on my wife's PC I have to plug in a usb mouse and switch it to right handed - even though she is also right handed she keeps the track ball on the left so she can write with her right hand while operating the track ball with her left hand . . . . . yeah, try that out.
My old, arthritic hands are just too shaky for fine movements with a trackball.

I have a friend who has an external num-pad connected to his laptop to use with his left hand while driving the rodent or track pad with his right hand.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:45 pm I need a mouse to be as slow as possible for when I have to make teensy weensy mouse movements. Even with my mouse settings as slow as I can get them, the little rodents still move too fast.
Tough. :(
Maybe someone could build a quick script to temporarily slow down cursor speed when a specific key (or combination) is pressed.
Rooo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rooo »

Drugwash wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:05 pm the new Windows
i figure its easier to learn linux now than battling defender with its ever increasing superpowers ... wont be able to do anything in win soon :(
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:39 pm
And yet another GUI and rodent person chiming in (I hate, despise, detest, and loathe touch pads and touch screens; I also don't like them).
i hate using pads n touchscreens ... they hate me!

i also have a trackball,made the mistake of getting one without a scroll wheel :( .. never thought of using it left handed,will try that,might be easier? thanks :)

---

one thing i do love is mouse gestures,i installed a mouse mileage tracking prog ages ago,its shocking how far we move our mice over a few months ...
Testing Easystoke on mint ... works kinda ok,will figure out its nits sooner or later ... gestures in Vivaldi rock! all good fun ...

those extra buttons on 5 button mice i miss (seen a few posts about enabling them on mint board,will get around to it :) ) - great to have them as rewind/fast forward in media players .. having a management program like windows Xmouse button control would be great (Easystroke kinda does it)

/goes to check new posts :)
Forum Pest ...

Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

Rooo wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:14 am i figure its easier to learn linux now than battling defender with its ever increasing superpowers ... wont be able to do anything in win soon :(
Possible. Haven't touched any Windows except for a virtual XP for the last couple of years, no idea how far their paranoia and thirst for control has gone.
At least back then it was possible to disable that dreaded tool completely, but only until next update that reverted most if not all user customization, which made things pretty hairy. Guess they should've called the abomination Windows Poltergeist or something.

Personally I don't like things to move around - as in settings changed, applications uninstalled, files/folders deleted etc. - especially when such operations are unannounced and user has no ability to stop/cancel them. Which reminds me that in this Mint 19.2 installation I'm running I see each midnight, few minutes after 12, the HDD LED lit for a few minutes, which means consistent activity - without any notification from any application or the system itself. Feels quite bizarre and have no idea how to search for an answer to that.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

One of the best features of Mint is how easy it was for a hard core windows user (me) to come in and after getting help for a couple of minor WiFi issues, to just start using the desktop. Comfort came later, experimentation came MUCH later, but using it came very easily right off the bat. Even though I have used MAC OS, I was lost when confronted with a Gnome desktop.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Moem wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:48 am
Rooo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:43 am seems more work for the tech help guy at first,but once made those posts are re-usable .. anyone can re-quote the author :)

But it's perfectly fine not to be into terminal usage as a Mint user. If you can open one, and copy/cut/paste from and into it, that is really all you need to know. I see no need to want to ease anyone into it... if they aren't interested, they aren't interested. Just like me! :wink:
As always a great point which is why you are a Linux Guru!

Return to “Chat about Linux”