What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Post by MurphCID »

I learned that using sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade works really, really fast, and gets all my updates. It is the small things that you learn when playing with your system. My Mint Linux knowledge slowly and incrementally improves.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

....... when the noobs find that they cannot run the latest version VLC 3.0.7 on LM 18.x/LM 19.0/Ubuntu 16.04/Ubuntu 18.04(= stuck at VLC 2.2.x) through the normal update channel, except via installing the Snap or flatpak or Appimage version of VLC 3.0.7 or by upgrading the OS. Please refer to this thread ....... viewtopic.php?f=61&t=298977 -
. What I quickly realised though was the simple and terrifying FACT that the Vlc Mediaplayer in LM18.3 was NOT updated. It was still at version 2.2, while the LM19.1 and LM19.2 version of Vlc Mediaplayer was at version 3.0.7.1. .
videolan.org provides downloads of VLC 3.0.7 to all supported versions of Windows, ie Win 7/8.1/10.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:50 am ....... when the noobs find that they cannot run the latest version VLC 3.0.7 on LM 18.x/LM 19.0/Ubuntu 16.04/Ubuntu 18.04(= stuck at VLC 2.2.x)
Whatever you say. Meanwhile in the real world:

Code: Select all

$ apt version vlc
3.0.7.1-0ubuntu18.04.1
Also do people actually use VLC on Windows? I don't know anybody who does. But then I'm not using it on Linux, either. Irrelevant bloatware.
Shiratori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shiratori »

gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 am Also do people actually use VLC on Windows? I don't know anybody who does. But then I'm not using it on Linux, either. Irrelevant bloatware.
I have it on the laptop that's connected to my telly, my fiancée uses it on her laptop as well.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 am Also do people actually use VLC on Windows? I don't know anybody who does. But then I'm not using it on Linux, either. Irrelevant bloatware.
97 million Windows users recently downloaded VLC 3.0.6, as per ....... https://www.videolan.org/vlc/stats/downloads.html
LM 19.1 is based on Ubuntu 18.04.1 = comes with VLC 3.0.7.
LM 19.0 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 = stuck at VLC 2.2.x
gm10

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:41 am LM 19.1 is based on Ubuntu 18.04.1 = comes with VLC 3.0.7.
What a load of nonsense. Please learn how repositories work. Also VLC 2.2 isn't even available for Ubuntu 18.04.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:53 am
michael louwe wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:41 am LM 19.1 is based on Ubuntu 18.04.1 = comes with VLC 3.0.7.
What a load of nonsense. Please learn how repositories work. Also VLC 2.2 isn't even available for Ubuntu 18.04.
Step 2 – Install VLC on Ubuntu

The default Apt repositories and the VLC PPA contains the 2.X version for installation. But still, you can install VLC 3.x from snap packages. .
https://tecadmin.net/install-vlc-on-ubuntu/ - How to Install VLC Media Player on Ubuntu 18.04, 17.10 & 16.04 LTS - April 23, 2018
gm10

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:10 am
The default Apt repositories and the VLC PPA contains the 2.X version for installation. But still, you can install VLC 3.x from snap packages. .
https://tecadmin.net/install-vlc-on-ubuntu/ - How to Install VLC Media Player on Ubuntu 18.04, 17.10 & 16.04 LTS - April 23, 2018
And I care about what nonsense random website A writes why? That's right, I don't. /yawn
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:16 am
michael louwe wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:10 am
And I care about what nonsense random website A writes why? That's right, I don't. /yawn
Supported releases:

Ubuntu 18.04 “Bionic Beaver”
Ubuntu 16.04 “Xenial Xerus”
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS “Trusty Tahr”

Nota Bene

VLC for Ubuntu and many other Linux distributions is packaged using snapcraft. This allows us to distribute latest and greatest VLC versions directly to end users, with security and critical bug fixes, full codec and optical media support.
If you wish to install the traditional deb package, it is available as usual via APT, with all security and critical bug fixes. However, there will be no major VLC version updates until the next Ubuntu release.
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html
gm10

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:44 am
Nota Bene

If you wish to install the traditional deb package, it is available as usual via APT, with all security and critical bug fixes.
Nota bene your own quotes I'd say. :roll:

You're boring me, usually you do at least have some grasp on reality which you then try to twist, but here you're just flailing in the wind with nothing to hold on to. Let's leave it at that, gotta get to my weekend, anyway. Cheerio, good sir.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:48 am
michael louwe wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:44 am
Nota Bene

If you wish to install the traditional deb package, it is available as usual via APT, with all security and critical bug fixes.
Nota bene your own quotes I'd say. :roll:

You're boring me, usually you do at least have some grasp on reality which you then try to twist, but here you're just flailing in the wind with nothing to hold on to. Let's leave it at that, gotta get to my weekend, anyway. Cheerio, good sir.
Yeah, me too - gotta get back to my weekend of leisure, instead of wasting my time replying to posts that are full of self-righteousness and ego, ala catweazel's posts. Cheers, good sir.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 am
michael louwe wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:50 am ....... when the noobs find that they cannot run the latest version VLC 3.0.7 on LM 18.x/LM 19.0/Ubuntu 16.04/Ubuntu 18.04(= stuck at VLC 2.2.x)
Whatever you say. Meanwhile in the real world:

Code: Select all

$ apt version vlc
3.0.7.1-0ubuntu18.04.1
Also do people actually use VLC on Windows? I don't know anybody who does. But then I'm not using it on Linux, either. Irrelevant bloatware.
I do, because sometimes it is the only thing that can open some codecs.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:13 am I do, because sometimes it is the only thing that can open some codecs.
I do too (but not on Windows, BTW, as I don't use it), because it handles the DVD menus whereas smplayer, which I use for almost everything else, doesn't. It's almost all I use vlc for; the aforementioned but also a bit of experimentation/comparison. I don't really want a multitude of media players on my systems.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Where is BG405? I haven't seen him/her in a while?
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:13 am
gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 amAlso do people actually use VLC on Windows? I don't know anybody who does. But then I'm not using it on Linux, either. Irrelevant bloatware.
What else runs .dat files except VLC? It is the only one I've found that does after a bit of fiddling to get it to. .dat? Security camera videos.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:46 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:13 am
gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 amAlso do people actually use VLC on Windows? I don't know anybody who does. But then I'm not using it on Linux, either. Irrelevant bloatware.
What else runs .dat files except VLC? It is the only one I've found that does after a bit of fiddling to get it to. .dat? Security camera videos.
Nothing that I know of at this time. Too many newbies are not willing to have to spend time getting things right, so they run back to Windows.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:13 pm
RollyShed wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:46 pmWhat else runs .dat files except VLC? It is the only one I've found that does after a bit of fiddling to get it to. .dat? Security camera videos.
Nothing that I know of at this time.
And gm10 hasn't told us of an option either that would run .dat on Windows. It is just we aren't using Windows but would run VLC for .dat on Windows and would run it on anything a security system was fitted to. We also commonly run VLC for other videos too.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:13 pm
RollyShed wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:46 pmWhat else runs .dat files except VLC? It is the only one I've found that does after a bit of fiddling to get it to. .dat? Security camera videos.
Nothing that I know of at this time.
And gm10 hasn't told us of an option either that would run .dat on Windows. It is just we aren't using Windows but would run VLC for .dat on Windows and would run it on anything a security system was fitted to. We also commonly run VLC for other videos too.
I had to install VLC at work just to get stuff to play. It is amazing the Microsoft cannot, even after all these years, get it right, or get a clue.
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

Vlc is one of the first things I installed after making the move from Windows to Mint because .... familiarity. Linux is rarely a topic of everyday conversation but the curious ask "does xyz software work in Linux' and the reply is uhm... maybe(?). A new user to Linux not only faces a new OS but the possibility of changing from software they've invested time in learning. If a user knows Autodesk products it's a pretty big leap to suggest FreeCad, and CAD is the main reason I dual boot.

btw: Weren't we all supposed to be working in the cloud by now, or something like that.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

iliketrains wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:19 am Vlc is one of the first things I installed after making the move from Windows to Mint because .... familiarity. Linux is rarely a topic of everyday conversation but the curious ask "does xyz software work in Linux' and the reply is uhm... maybe(?). A new user to Linux not only faces a new OS but the possibility of changing from software they've invested time in learning. If a user knows Autodesk products it's a pretty big leap to suggest FreeCad, and CAD is the main reason I dual boot.

btw: Weren't we all supposed to be working in the cloud by now, or something like that.
VLC is great in that works On pretty much everything. I am also stuck to windows because of iTunes and photoshop. Those are my must-have applications that I just can’t find anything that works the same in Linux. For 99% of what I do, Linux does everything I need.

Return to “Chat about Linux”