What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Post by Marie SWE »

My computers is almost always on. I have power manager sett to 12h then the laptops goes into sleep mode as the laptops battery acts as a UPS... and my desktops goes into hibernation as I don't have UPS to them.. only my servers has a UPS. those goes 24/7 if i don't plan to go away for several days, then i shut it down.. last time my servers was off is about 2year ago, (before the covid pandemic so to speak)
It is good extra heat in winter here in the north. :lol: :lol: :lol:
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

PC is next to bed.... hum annoying when sleeping.... PC shuts down when I do.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

When I am done the computer shuts down, I have it set so when I close the lid it shuts down, when I press the power button it shuts down, when I look at it in a menacing way, it shuts down :) Mostly because the desktop makes the room too darn hot which is an issue here in South Texas, especially in the summer (and sometimes in the winter).

As for Noobs running for Windows, this Noob is running towards Linux rapidly. I will keep one system on Windows 10 just for Photoshop and iTunes.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Another thing sending Noobs back to Windows is the elitist, toxic Linux community. We are our own worst enemies.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:00 am Another thing sending Noobs back to Windows is the elitist, toxic Linux community. We are our own worst enemies.
amen to that 8)
That was probably the comment of the day, I think.
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:46 am ...when I look at it in a menacing way, it shuts down :) .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If my computer did that too, with some of the looks I give it, it would probably run and hide.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Marie SWE wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:08 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:00 am Another thing sending Noobs back to Windows is the elitist, toxic Linux community. We are our own worst enemies.
amen to that 8)
That was probably the comment of the day, I think.
I agree. Fortunately, this forum has far, far, less of it than what I have seen elsewhere.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Samarian Sunset
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Samarian Sunset »

I've seen that type of meanness on other help boards and there's never a need to show off one's knowledge by bashing a newbie. That type of bad behavior comes from insecurities. Luckily this Mint forum is an oasis of niceness...Hats off to the moderation team who keep the spirit here light and the atmosphere friendly. This forum is a big reason why I decided to go with Mint :D
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Samarian Sunset wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:35 pm
I've seen that type of meanness on other help boards and there's never a need to show off one's knowledge by bashing a newbie. That type of bad behavior comes from insecurities. Luckily this Mint forum is an oasis of niceness...Hats off to the moderation team who keep the spirit here light and the atmosphere friendly. This forum is a big reason why I decided to go with Mint :D
Absolutely!
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:20 pm
Samarian Sunset wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:35 pm
Absolutely!
Im sorry to say this, but there are some tendencies even in here.
Check this threads first two responds on OP. viewtopic.php?f=180&t=373004
OP was a bit provoking, but still tendencies.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Marie SWE wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:31 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:20 pm
Samarian Sunset wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:35 pm I've seen that type of meanness on other help boards and there's never a need to show off one's knowledge by bashing a newbie. That type of bad behavior comes from insecurities. Luckily this Mint forum is an oasis of niceness...Hats off to the moderation team who keep the spirit here light and the atmosphere friendly. This forum is a big reason why I decided to go with Mint :D
Absolutely!
Im sorry to say this, but there are some tendencies even in here.
True, but as a whole this is still the best forum on the internet for Linux. It is a fight we as Linux users have to work on every day to make it so that we do not run off new users. Sometimes I am grumpy (as a grumpy old man), but I try hard to not be a jerk here.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:34 pm True, but as a whole this is still the best forum on the internet for Linux. It is a fight we as Linux users have to work on every day to make it so that we do not run off new users. Sometimes I am grumpy (as a grumpy old man), but I try hard to not be a jerk here.
So true, so true. :D I like this forum, but as i don't use Mint daily i had forgotten that i was a member here.. :oops: I remembered it when I sat and looked through my FF bookmarks a couple of days ago. :mrgreen: So that's why I have a two years gap here in my activity.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Marie SWE wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:31 pm Im sorry to say this, but there are some tendencies even in here.
Those responses seem pretty tame - this forum by far is the most friendly linux forum on the internet. That does not mean we should all roll over when some troll or rude person decides to come on and rant or dump on mint or linux in general. I for one have never felt the need to go out try and convince Windows and Mac users that they should convert to linux - actually I couldn't care less what OS someone chooses or how popular linux is or isn't compared to other operating systems. The few folks that I have installed linux for have approached me and I have been glad to help them but I never tried to persuade anyone to come over to linux. So yeah, I'm all for someone trying linux and if they don't like it or it doesn't work for them fine - they should move on with their life. But if they feel they need to come on a linux forum without asking for help with a specific issue and just want to disparage linux - then yes a little push back is appropriate.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

majpooper wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:26 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:31 pm Im sorry to say this, but there are some tendencies even in here.
Those responses seem pretty tame - this forum by far is the most friendly linux forum on the internet. That does not mean we should all roll over when some troll or rude person decides to come on and rant or dump on mint or linux in general. I for one have never felt the need to go out try and convince Windows and Mac users that they should convert to linux - actually I couldn't care less what OS someone chooses or how popular linux is or isn't compared to other operating systems. The few folks that I have installed linux for have approached me and I have been glad to help them but I never tried to persuade anyone to come over to linux. So yeah, I'm all for someone trying linux and if they don't like it or it doesn't work for them fine - they should move on with their life. But if they feel they need to come on a linux forum without asking for help with a specific issue and just want to disparage linux - then yes a little push back is appropriate.
Yes they was tame,... and OP did provoke... and I did only wrote (tendencies) :) Not that it is a problem or that it even is a phenomenon in here. :wink:

When this small things happens it is good if people that has the respect or has a ton of total-posts to tells them to cool down a bit. :mrgreen:
I now have with this post a total of 90posts.. so I cant tell others to cool down. :oops:
But in real life and on a Swedish forum where I do have that position, then I do mediate to calm down those who are a little provocative or angry. :) Anyone can have a bad day, or it's just a misunderstanding of a language miss. 8)
My philosophy when I can act, is to react even on small things to, so new members see that it isn't okay to be rude to anyone even if you have 1post or 100thousand posts history.
Little preventative, so to speak. :D

Okay. :D Same here I usually doesn't tell others what OS they should use :) I did wrote this in an other thread in here:
If you work with video-editing and that kind of graphics, Mac is better even if you can do it in Linux and Windows... And if you playing a lot of games, then windows is better, even if you can do it on Linux and Mac too.... If you are a developer and so on, then I think Linux is the best choice over the other two
Even if it's possible to make almost all programs work on all OS with tweaks, wine and so on.. the easiest way is a VM with the right OS for the program... or a dualboot...
Right tool for the job so to speak.. you don't take a fork to fix a roof-leak. :mrgreen:
So what I do say to others, is to choose operating systems according to their own needs.
However, I did told my sister to switch to a Mac.... just so I wouldn't have to support her... Yes, that was a bit evil of me :oops: :oops: :lol:
And I replaced my mother's windows7 with Mint 20.1 instead of 10 as she first wanted, just because I hate win10... and I am the one who has to fix the damn computer when win10 crashes. So Mint was my choice. :oops:
But at work, I just accept things as it is..... I fix what I'm told to fix and with a smile... It's easy to smile when you at least get paid for the suffering. :mrgreen:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Marie SWE wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:20 pm
So what I do say to others, is to choose operating systems according to their own needs.
However, I did told my sister to switch to a Mac.... just so I wouldn't have to support her... Yes, that was a bit evil of me :oops: :oops: :lol:
And I replaced my mother's windows7 with Mint 20.1 instead of 10 as she first wanted, just because I hate win10... and I am the one who has to fix the damn computer when win10 crashes. So Mint was my choice. :oops:
But at work, I just accept things as it is..... I fix what I'm told to fix and with a smile... It's easy to smile when you at least get paid for the suffering. :mrgreen:
HAHAHA!! I did that to my father, I set him up on Mint 20 and just have my brother doing the updates. We skinned it to look like Windows XP, and he does not know the difference. But at 85 he hates change. My Spouse Unit wants only Windows and she never wants to change. So I gave her Windows 10 and support it for her and the kids laptops. I support Windows easily enough to keep their systems working.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I got to where I can make Mint look like Windows 95/7/10/11 whatever but that is where it ends. The "feel" is not there. Although I have read in several places Mint is easier for Windows users to migrate to then other linux distros - the panel and menu I suppose are familiar . I just put a bunch of shortcuts on the desktop for the people I brought over from Windows and that seems to make them happy.
RetroRemix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RetroRemix »

Would WINE not help Linux feel more like Windows and familiar, for those who feel it is too "different"?

The ability to run those Windows programs, combined with a environment that mimics Windows, make it surely will feel even more like the real thing?

But outside of that, Linux will always feel like it's own thing. It will never have the Windows feeling on a deeper level, and nothing can ever be done about that, short of the Windows source code replacing nearly every bit of Linux.

(And I like it that way, because I like something different that isn't Windows Windows Windows, Mac Mac Mac all the time. :wink: )

I'm not asking to be a PITA, just wanna know some of the thinking processes on here and why WINE is not mentioned often, as part and parcel of the deeper Windows feel that most of us crave is actually running those Windows programs.

I know it doesn't run every Windows software out there, but the more we use it the more we can report bugs and the faster it will become better right? And this will surely help Linux adoption that much better?
Last edited by RetroRemix on Sat May 07, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

MurphCID wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:43 pm
HAHAHA!! I did that to my father, I set him up on Mint 20 and just have my brother doing the updates. We skinned it to look like Windows XP, and he does not know the difference. But at 85 he hates change. My Spouse Unit wants only Windows and she never wants to change. So I gave her Windows 10 and support it for her and the kids laptops. I support Windows easily enough to keep their systems working.
:mrgreen: nice done :mrgreen:
I had it even easier.. as my mother thought that IE was windows.. so I first switched out IE to FF so she could get used to that first.. and when no new question came about that, then I just swapped Win7 for Mint and applied similar color theme on the DE as Win7. :mrgreen:
Okay, I am really-really-really trying to get away from windows as best I can, so I'm not jealous of you being a tech support for windows10+11, or as you say Windows. :wink:
We have a saying here in Sweden when you give something many different names for the same thing. (Kärt barn, har många namn.) translated (Dear child, has many names.)
So windows must be a very beloved child with so many wonderful names:. wintrash, winbloat, winspyware, Windows, and so on, and so on :lol:

I have just has finished reading your 48page"Daddy tech support" thread it almost took me 2days reading :mrgreen:
The first pages of reading was hilarious, I was almost rolling on the floor out of laughter. :lol:
Then I started to really feel for you, that you were blamed for just about anything and everything.. I guess even if it rained on the wrong day too? You really need a consolation hug. :D
So how is it with your knee now? I hope it is better. It sounded really bad in some of your posts. :(

I will make a double post on this post in your other thread"Daddy tech support", so it doesn't become too off-topic discussion in this thread than it already is. 8)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Marie SWE wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:55 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:43 pm
:mrgreen: nice done :mrgreen:
I had it even easier.. as my mother thought that IE was windows.. so I first switched out IE to FF so she could get used to that first.. and when no new question came about that, then I just swapped Win7 for Mint and applied similar color theme on the DE as Win7. :mrgreen:
Okay, I am really-really-really trying to get away from windows as best I can, so I'm not jealous of you being a tech support for windows10+11, or as you say Windows. :wink:
We have a saying here in Sweden when you give something many different names for the same thing. (Kärt barn, har många namn.) translated (Dear child, has many names.)
So windows must be a very beloved child with so many wonderful names:. wintrash, winbloat, winspyware, Windows, and so on, and so on :lol:

I have just has finished reading your 48page"Daddy tech support" thread it almost took me 2days reading :mrgreen:
The first pages of reading was hilarious, I was almost rolling on the floor out of laughter. :lol:
Then I started to really feel for you, that you were blamed for just about anything and everything.. I guess even if it rained on the wrong day too? You really need a consolation hug. :D
So how is it with your knee now? I hope it is better. It sounded really bad in some of your posts. :(

I will make a double post on this post in your other thread"Daddy tech support", so it doesn't become too off-topic discussion in this thread than it already is. 8)
Glad you liked it. The continuing adventures of life as Daddy Tech Support continues. As for the knee, it hurts somedays more than others. Today I suspect will be a less than great day since I am moving a 100lb photo printer downstairs from the second floor to my truck so I can give it to Goodwill. It is an Epson 4800, and I purchased it back in the day when I was doing a lot of photo printing, but I can no longer afford $600 every time I have to refill the ink. It is a pro grade printer I paid $2,000 for back in the day. I have not turned it on in four to five years.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:59 am ...Today I suspect will be a less than great day since I am moving a 100lb photo printer downstairs from the second floor to my truck so I can give it to Goodwill...
Two words: Get help!

Seriously, don't try to move that ship anchor by yourself!
Jeannie

Return to “Chat about Linux”