What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:16 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:59 am ...Today I suspect will be a less than great day since I am moving a 100lb photo printer downstairs from the second floor to my truck so I can give it to Goodwill...
Two words: Get help!

Seriously, don't try to move that ship anchor by yourself!
I did, I got my two nephews to move it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:11 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:59 am ...Today I suspect will be a less than great day since I am moving a 100lb photo printer downstairs from the second floor to my truck so I can give it to Goodwill...

Smart man!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:37 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:11 pm

Smart man!
That thing was so heavy there was no way I could have gotten it down the stairs and out the door by myself, or even with one helper.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Is it a good thing to bring more new users to Linux or should new users have to pay their dues before asking questions? If too many new users join, with the oldsters go to BSD? I heard this question on one of the Linux Youtube channels and there was no good answer.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

My take is slightly different.
A computer is an appliance like a fridge or a TV. It should just work. That said, a computer is asked to do many things so it's never gonna be as simply as a fridge. My problem is that every OS, every piece of software, every piece of hardware has a different name for the same thing! (tray=panel=?). When I google my issue I am confronted mostly with 'don't understand the question' results.

I am grateful to this forum that to a greater extent, manage to 'decode' the nomenclature for me. It reminds me that in my electronic pursuits there usually are literally hundreds of items that do the same thing. (Apparently Apple is sqwaking because the European Standards Commission now makes it mandatory that all power supplies use the same connector!)

There will always be people who enjoy 'getting under the hood' and I fully respect that. Without this forum how many of us would have a working system?

The most significant reasons that I migrated from Windows is because of (a) incompetent help desks (b) privacy.
I tried Apple ages ago and found their 'gated community' too restrictive.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Peter Linu wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:08 pm My take is slightly different.
A computer is an appliance like a fridge or a TV. It should just work. That said, a computer is asked to do many things so it's never gonna be as simply as a fridge. My problem is that every OS, every piece of software, every piece of hardware has a different name for the same thing! (tray=panel=?). When I google my issue I am confronted mostly with 'don't understand the question' results.

I am grateful to this forum that to a greater extent, manage to 'decode' the nomenclature for me. It reminds me that in my electronic pursuits there usually are literally hundreds of items that do the same thing. (Apparently Apple is sqwaking because the European Standards Commission now makes it mandatory that all power supplies use the same connector!)

There will always be people who enjoy 'getting under the hood' and I fully respect that. Without this forum how many of us would have a working system?

The most significant reasons that I migrated from Windows is because of (a) incompetent help desks (b) privacy.
This is the same reason I just got my youngest daughter a Macbook Air, because she does not want to have to do anything to the computer, and wants the computer to get out of her way in doing what she wants to do.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:29 pm

This is the same reason I just got my youngest daughter a Macbook Air, because she does not want to have to do anything to the computer, and wants the computer to get out of her way in doing what she wants to do.
Curious, I switched to Linux so the computer could get out of the way of what I wanted to do. :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:15 pm
MurphCID wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:29 pm

Curious, I switched to Linux so the computer could get out of the way of what I wanted to do. :wink:
But to quote her: Linux is for old people! Also it will not link with her iPhone....
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

So Android and Chrome OS is for old people too in that case, I could argue the case strongly for Windows and Mac operating systems being for brainwashed idiots but those same brainwashed idiots pay my bills. I don't do the brainwashing, I just deal with the boring technical stuff that they screw up.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

antikythera wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:54 pm So Android and Chrome OS is for old people too in that case, I could argue the case strongly for Windows and Mac operating systems being for brainwashed idiots but those same brainwashed idiots pay my bills. I don't do the brainwashing, I just deal with the boring technical stuff that they screw up.
LOL! I think having too much choice (and freedom) scares off some potential Linux users. Also the lack of young person specific software: iTunes, Snapchat, Instagram, etc. But they don't realize that they can run that stuff in a browser.... Sometimes I think we do too much fanboy/fangirling Linux and not enough showing people what it can do vs the others in a non dramatic, non denigrating manner.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

PCDoctor wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:31 am

But for the average joe, its programs
They wanna buy a deck building program at walmart for $19.95
And go home and draw up a deck
They dont wanna do that in blender
LibreCAD - LibreCAD is an application for computer aided design (CAD) in two dimensions (2D). With LibreCAD you can create technical drawings such as plans for buildings, interiors, mechanical parts or schematics and diagrams.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

antikythera wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:43 am
PCDoctor wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:31 am

But for the average joe, its programs
They wanna buy a deck building program at walmart for $19.95
And go home and draw up a deck
They dont wanna do that in blender
LibreCAD - LibreCAD is an application for computer aided design (CAD) in two dimensions (2D). With LibreCAD you can create technical drawings such as plans for buildings, interiors, mechanical parts or schematics and diagrams.
Can it replace AutoCAD? Or use AutoCAD files?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks for that reply, I just hate it when vendors lock you in with a proprietary format save files. Sort of like how Microsoft changed from .doc to .docx and it took a while to catch up. At least Microsoft did not sue for people using .docx.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It can import dwg but writes dxf:
LibreCAD capabilities

-Partial support of Autodesk DWG format (importing only).
-Support of Autodesk DXF open format (import and export). It is LibreCAD main format.
-Export in PDF format and image format (PNG, SVG, bitmap).
-Support of MakerCAM SVG format. To be confirmed
-Line, circle, arc, polyline, spline.
-Entity modification: move/duplicate, mirror, scale, offset, trim, fillet, etc.
-Cartesian and polar coordinate systems.
-Local coordinates system: you can choose a new origin to input ang get coordinates.
-Snap functions to accurately draw with end points, middle points, center of arcs, intersection of lines.
-Hatch.
-Blocks can be created and inserted.
-Library to manage standard components through blocks (screw, windows, etc.).
-Text annotation.
-Dimensions: linear dimension aligned with feature, radius, diameter, leader.
-Layer management: toggle for visibility and for printing, entity properties driven by layer properties (color, line width, type of line).
-Print to a chosen scale.
-Toolbars can be customized.
-Several actions can be made through the command line.
-Plugins developed to ease some tasks.
-User Interface available in several languages.
more than enough for basic CAD projects around the home
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

antikythera wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:37 am It can import dwg but writes dxf:
LibreCAD capabilities

-Partial support of Autodesk DWG format (importing only).
-Support of Autodesk DXF open format (import and export). It is LibreCAD main format.
-Export in PDF format and image format (PNG, SVG, bitmap).
-Support of MakerCAM SVG format. To be confirmed
-Line, circle, arc, polyline, spline.
-Entity modification: move/duplicate, mirror, scale, offset, trim, fillet, etc.
-Cartesian and polar coordinate systems.
-Local coordinates system: you can choose a new origin to input ang get coordinates.
-Snap functions to accurately draw with end points, middle points, center of arcs, intersection of lines.
-Hatch.
-Blocks can be created and inserted.
-Library to manage standard components through blocks (screw, windows, etc.).
-Text annotation.
-Dimensions: linear dimension aligned with feature, radius, diameter, leader.
-Layer management: toggle for visibility and for printing, entity properties driven by layer properties (color, line width, type of line).
-Print to a chosen scale.
-Toolbars can be customized.
-Several actions can be made through the command line.
-Plugins developed to ease some tasks.
-User Interface available in several languages.
more than enough for basic CAD projects around the home
Well that is good, although it would be nice if they made it for business use.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Some time ago, about a year, I tried the trial version of QCAD. Pretty good compatibility with Autocad - I opened a .dwg file on it, added drawing elements, memorized and then opened it with Autocad - the only apparent problem was slight misalignment and overlapping of lettering in places. And the price of QCAD is many times lower than that of Autocad. :D
The big problem for me personally is the lack of 3D, because my job requires me to draw axonometries of the installations. :?
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

What will make me running back to Windows.. :o)

Post by Marie SWE »

as I'm not a noob any longer, so I rephrase it a bit. :lol:

That day windows stops with rolling release and goes back to LTS releases as all before Win10.. and it's made to run 100% offline.. then I will go back to windows.
I have learn to handle linux so much that i don't need to ask for help.. I have my network and everything running smooth. I have only 4years with Linux and over 20+ with windows, so I can't secure/harden Linux in the same way as I can with Windows systems.. so I still need 10years more with Linux to be able to catch up to my Windows system knowledge.

It is only two things with Linux that is the cause to that I will run back to Windows. First is the lack of software support to Linux from different software company's. The second thing is Linux Desktop is still a child and is not ready for work usage as the systems need to be stable and reliable 365 days a year. Linux server is stable and reliable, but sadly not Desktop........ yet.... but it will be in about 10years or so.
The longest up time I have with Linux Desktop is around 200days before I'm forced to reboot do to something crashes or memory leaks or out of memory do to bad memory handling.. with a windows system is my longest uptime over 1500days.

I will however stay with Linux until that day MS goes back to LTS and offline option.
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: What will make me running back to Windows.. :o)

Post by RollyShed »

Marie SWE wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pmThe longest up time I have with Linux Desktop is around 200days before I'm forced to reboot do to something crashes or memory leaks or out of memory do to bad memory handling.. with a windows system is my longest uptime over 1500days.
Odd.
I've a decade of Linux and not had that problem. My partner was getting about 30 days between meltdowns with Windows in 2018. She has never had a problem since then with Linux.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:44 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pmThe longest up time I have with Linux Desktop is around 200days before I'm forced to reboot do to something crashes or memory leaks or out of memory do to bad memory handling.. with a windows system is my longest uptime over 1500days.
Odd.
I've a decade of Linux and not had that problem. My partner was getting about 30 days between meltdowns with Windows in 2018. She has never had a problem since then with Linux.
yes and no.. I have really good knowledge of MS OS systems and over 20years of experience.. but I have only "experimented" with linux around 4years.. I guess it perhaps is the opposite for you.
most problem I had with linux is the Desktop environment and some memory leaks over the years or swapdeath (disk I/O trashing) that force me to reboot in the end.
Meltdown in win10 isn't hard to get if you run it out of the box, :mrgreen: windows is really crappy that way. :lol:

My computer I have to my television for watching movies listen to music and play my country's play-channels is a win7Pro computer and has now an uptime of 247days and it's still quick as I had boot it up today... but it is not out of the box install. I have modified the install.wim, the registry and services quite a bit. The same with my printer mini server it has winXP and is heavy modified as well and has an uptime over 1500days now.. and as those two is EOL I never need to reboot them. Last time I rebooted my TV-computer was when I upgraded to two bigger HDDs

Everything often boils down how well we know the systems and can modify them.. I'm not there with Linux Desktop yet.. perhaps in 10years or faster with schooling on Linux systems,

Edit.
I became curious of the uptime.. it was 1424 days and not 1500. My bad. :oops:
screen.JPG
Last edited by Marie SWE on Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Marie SWE wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:51 pm that force me to reboot in the end.

win7Pro computer and has now an uptime of 247days and it's still quick as I had boot it up today
I'm getting the impression that you never ever switch anything OFF when not used. We switch OFF at the "wall" every night. That means monitors, scanners, speakers, computers, aren't wasting power. If we are away for a few days all TVs are off at the wall too. This is a security thing, protection from lightning strikes or power surges while not around. We are slowly replacing all light bulbs with LEDs too.

All laptops are OFF, not Hibernate as this saves batteries which tend to be marginal with some of the laptops we have.

Switching computers OFF when not needed is what we have always done for decades, nothing new there.

Maybe the way we work saves money and computer problems too.

Return to “Chat about Linux”