KDE Neon on Bionic progresses

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

KDE Neon on Bionic progresses

Post by catweazel »

https://jriddell.org/2018/07/26/kde-neon-bionic-update/

Dated 26/7/18
The work to rebase KDE neon on Bionic is progressing. Apologies if it feels slow but it’s keeping our infrastructure busy while continuing with the xenial builds alongside. I’ve just managed to get the package version check to turn green which means all the packages are now built. The installable ISOs are also green on our builders, but we’re keeping them hidden until we’ve ironed out the bugs. The two installers we use have some quirks and hacks that need tidied up but the automated install tests are also turning green. Some of you have already found our preliminary instructions for doing the upgrade and it seems to be working for everyone who has tried it, but “it seems to be working” is not what we want, “it is working” is what we want and while the git-unstable edition is green in the tests the user edition is not so some more tidying up to be done there. We’ll announce the installable ISOs and upgrade more formally for beta testing once the tests are green and turn on the full upgrade shortly after. Hasta pronto.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: KDE Neon on Bionic progresses.

Post by catweazel »

https://community.kde.org/Neon/BionicRebase

KDE Neon powered ny Ubuntu 18.04 LTS now available for testing.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: KDE Neon on Bionic progresses

Post by Pierre »

now, it's just a case of waiting for the instructions for doing the upgrade
8)
can't wait
:) :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pierre wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:26 am now, it's just a case of waiting for the instructions for doing the upgrade
8)
can't wait
:) :)
I just installed it clean after taking a clonezilla image. All I needed to do was paste in a long sudo add-apt-repository and an equally long sudo apt install and wait a few minutes. I wouldn't know that I'd left the 16.04 base. The separate /home in linux is a major boon.

Cheers.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

ahh - - another sudo add-apt-repository
This is for testing only, ***it could break your system***
- sounds about right.
:lol:
now, to find what they give as the actual commands .. ..
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pierre wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:44 am ahh - - another sudo add-apt-repository
- sounds about right.
now, to find what they give as the actual commands .. ..
:)
:squint: You've lost me.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

nahh - - just looking for some hardware, that I'm able to utilise /break,,
in order to Test the Thing Out .. ..

maybe, just run it in a VM :?:
decisions, decisions
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

Just tried the Bionic Preview ISO (live). ThinkPad X131e touchpad not working (not found). Thankfully, trackpoint works. Got it installed and will play with it some more when I find the time.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Life is full of interesting coincidences.

I had not seen this thread.

The other day, having been reading elsewhere on LMF and other places about the recent state of KDE Neon, I decided to burn their latest to a flash drive and test it out on my system. Having done so last night, I thought in coming here today that I'd create a KDE Neon thread.

As I said, I had not seen this thread.

And then, this thread happened. So... so much for blazing my own trail. :lol:

From what I can tell, KDE Neon seems to run reasonably well on my 13" 2011 MBP. There's no OOB support for my wireless chipset, of course, but then again that's no different than LM. It still has to be added in after the fact, regardless of how trivial that step happens to be.

I also did not know what Bionic was, so in the course of writing this post, I did a bit of spot research. Frankly, I'm still not sure I understand fully what it is, but assuming the Wikipedia article on Bionic is correct, it seems to be an environment within which software can run, and is an attempt by Google to get away from the GPL.

Can anyone here confirm that, or do a better job explaining what Bionic is? Because, if that Wikipedia article is correct, then I want nothing to do with Bionic.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Bionic (Beaver) is the codename for Ubuntu 18.04 in this context.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

smurphos wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:29 am Bionic (Beaver) is the codename for Ubuntu 18.04 in this context.
Ooooh. Ok. That can be a bit confusing, can't it?

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I guess it can be if you are not familiar with Ubuntu development. As a Mint user it is a good idea to have some familiarity. Eg Mint 19 is based on Bionic, Mint 18.x on Xenial, Mint 17.x on Trusty etc.

The codenames are used for naming repositories so it's handy to know if a particular third party repo is intended for your release.

See here for a full list of all the codenames

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

While I admit I have not kept up with all the latest alliterative names Canonical has foisted upon their distro, that's not the problem.

This is really more the community's problem. I mean, if I can do a Google search for bionic + software and what I get contains not even a whiff of references to Ubuntu, maybe it's not appropriate to go around calling it that. Ya think?

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Portreve wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:29 pm While I admit I have not kept up with all the latest alliterative names Canonical has foisted upon their distro, that's not the problem.

This is really more the community's problem. I mean, if I can do a Google search for bionic + software and what I get contains not even a whiff of references to Ubuntu, maybe it's not appropriate to go around calling it that. Ya think?
Give it time, and while you're waiting, search for xenial + software. Xenial Xerus is the base for Mint 18.x.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Portreve wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:29 pm maybe it's not appropriate to go around calling it that. Ya think?
LOL, best have a chat with Mark Shuttleworth - he named it Bionic....18.10 is going to be Cosmic (Cuttlefish) - there are a lot of not linux related results in a search for Cosmic Software

bionic packages or ubuntu bionic software or Bionic Beaver software or linux bionic or even mint bionic are more fruitful search-terms..

Return to “Chat about Linux”