Package managers... Worst part of linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Package managers... Worst part of linux

Post by catweazel »

boyo1991 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:54 am I don't have many personal friends...
You have more than I do :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

catweazel wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:32 pm What rule says that only humans are people? Being an alien, for example, doesn't necessarily preclude the alien from also being a person.
The concept of personhood and upon what "entity" it is bestowed that is regarding it as a person within some politico-legal framework seems rather be quite a complex matter. There doesn't seem to exist anything natural or anything intrinsic in an entity that makes it to be regarded as a person. Shall we regard Androids as persons for example with legal rights like right to vote or hold them accountable for misconduct?
Personhood is the status of being a person. Defining personhood is a controversial topic in philosophy and law and is closely tied with legal and political concepts of citizenship, equality, and liberty. According to law, only a natural person or legal personality has rights, protections, privileges, responsibilities, and legal liability.

Processes through which personhood is recognized socially and legally vary cross-culturally, demonstrating that notions of personhood are not universal.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personhood
What's more, personhood is not an unalienable legal status of an entity. The history of our "civilization" attest to the fact that under certain circumstances one or other group of (human) entities have been regarded as "nonpersons" or others formerly enjoying the status being deprived of it.
A nonperson is a citizen or a member of a group who lacks, loses, or is forcibly denied social or legal status, especially basic human rights, or who effectively ceases to have a record of their existence within a society (damnatio memoriae), from a point of view of traceability, documentation, or existence.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonperson
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Could it be that this thread has evolved in a direction which is offtopic with respect to "Package Managers" on Linux (Mint)?
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Marziano wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:51 am
catweazel wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:32 pm What rule says that only humans are people? Being an alien, for example, doesn't necessarily preclude the alien from also being a person.
The concept of personhood and upon what "entity" it is bestowed that is regarding it as a person within some politico-legal framework seems rather be quite a complex matter. There doesn't seem to exist anything natural or anything intrinsic in an entity that makes it to be regarded as a person. Shall we regard Androids as persons for example with legal rights like right to vote or hold them accountable for misconduct?
I wasn't talking in a legalistic sense whatsoever, nor in a dictionary definition sense, and I think that perhaps the question is extreme of what was intended to be conveyed. I don't like quoting wikipedia but this is the closest I could find to what I actually meant:

"A person is a being that has certain capacities or attributes such as reason, morality, consciousness or self-consciousness..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person#Personhood

I left out the bits that didn't fit my intent.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

karlchen wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:54 am Could it be that this thread has evolved in a direction which is offtopic with respect to "Package Managers" on Linux (Mint)?
I was under the impression we had some leeway in the chat forums.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

boyo1991 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:14 pm "oh look these guys support linux! I think I'll install!" *Gets tarball Everytime*

That's because you never heard of repository management. Yes, it's archaic and mostly undocumented. Improvements in it will relieve your prolems.

As for Snap, FlatPak, etc: https://xkcd.com/927/
Don't stop where the ink does.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

shawnhcorey wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:09 am As for Snap, FlatPak, etc: https://xkcd.com/927/
lol - too true. Nice find.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

karlchen wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:54 am Could it be that this thread has evolved in a direction which is offtopic with respect to "Package Managers" on Linux (Mint)?
The subject being too interesting and too relevant to our times, and that not only when it comes to non-human entities but also to human ones as well, I just couldn't let the opportunity to go by without pointing to the complexity of the matter.

Sorry for cluttering the thread. This is after all "Chat about Linux"
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Honestly, I'm not a particularly big fan of self-contained application deployment systems (flatpaks, et al.) because to me that feels just like an end-run around distro-maintained repositories.

Now, let's say you had a company producing a non-free program (of which, btw, I'm not a fan, because I don't trust non-peer-reviewable / non-auditable code) and they wanted to build something where it could be more broadly distributed. Self-contained distributable software would make sense for that.

The thing is, with exceedingly few exceptions, I don't trust software that doesn't come from my own distro's repos, period.

Let's say you're a professional, or a business, and you need some particular program from the community which has not yet made it to your distro of choice's repos. What you should logically do is throw some money their way and say "I would like this app prioritized for distribution through you, and here's some bones to make it happen." It's not like the distros out there are going to stop doing what they usually do, but if you can make it worth their while to step-and-fetch a given program, check it out and go through all their usual processes, and then post it, that's cool. Besides, every additional program is not just a good thing for them, but a boon to everyone else.

The other thing, going back to the OP's point about having one common package management system, is there are architectural differences between distros, and as I understand the matter, as a distro, you have one of two basic paths to go down. First, you create a distro which, all other things aside, is built to handle a given package management system. Second, you create your own package management system. Again, there's architectural differences between distros which obviously are a result of specific end-goals of the various distro creators/maintainers. Distro X and Distro Y are, in fact, two different distros because what their builders want are two different things, QED.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Could it be that this thread has evolved in a direction which is offtopic with respect to "Package Managers" on Linux (Mint)?
The op is expressing an opinion, therefore a certain amount of dither is to be expected.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Chat about Linux”