Should we consider opening an "orphanage" for all the lost problems that stay unanswered with zero replies?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carum carvi

Should we consider opening an "orphanage" for all the lost problems that stay unanswered with zero replies?

Post by carum carvi »

I really like this forum. Gotten so many great tips from users. Everybody is so willing to help. Really great. Still being a newbie I notice that I can help some other newbies now as well who run into similar problems that I have encountered before.

But my suggestion / question / call for help is the following: should we open an "orphanage" for those few questions that remain completely unanswered with ZERO replies?

Even just out of support it never hurts just to let somebody know that his or her question is noticed but we dont know how to help.

Anybody think this is a great idea or totally bonkers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Should we consider opening an "orphanage" for all the lost problems that stay unanswered with zero replies?

Post by JoeFootball »

carum carvi wrote:should we open an "orphanage" for those few questions that remain completely unanswered with ZERO replies?
Such an orphanage is here. :)

Joe
carum carvi

Re: Should we consider opening an "orphanage" for all the lost problems that stay unanswered with zero replies?

Post by carum carvi »

Wow. How did you do that? That's impressive. Over a 1000 unanswered replies, although I dont know over which time period these 1000 zero replies have stayed unanswered.

But the orphanage is already there. Only nobody is managing it. Is that good or bad?

I must confess that my idea for an "orphanage" arose from being an "orphan" myself. I had posted a serious problem, never before have had such a serious problem, but I had gotten zero replies. I must admit that I solved the problem myself, but I didnt know what caused my problem (no reboot). Maybe I am missing some forum etiquette that one does not get answers if one has solved the problem one self already. Does this apply to be true? Or are some questions just by accident (bad timing, early in the morning) left unanswered?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

carum carvi wrote:Wow. How did you do that? That's impressive.
Magic indeed. :) Actually, it's just from the Quick Links menu in the upper-left, select Unanswered Topics.
carum carvi wrote:Only nobody is managing it.
On the contrary, I'm confident that many people use that link to look at unanswered topics. I read them all the time, and when I know the answer, or can offer suggestions, I reply. If I don't know, I leave it unanswered for other more knowledgeable persons to pursue.

Joe
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Magic, yes. You are funny! Thanks for the explanation though. That makes sense. I am gonna use that unanswered link, because the first question right on top for example is something that really dumbfounds me often: "Where is the link to the program I have just installed?".

Some programs just " disappear" after installing. Nowhere to be found.

I understand your explanation about not answering questions you dont know the answer too, but sometimes newbies pose their first question. Even if we dont know the answer I feel like I should welcome them anyway, otherwise they might mistakingly think that one doesnt get help on this forum very easy, while the opposite is true. The LinuxMint forum is by far the most friendly forum out there. You get much better help here then at the ubuntu forum. I have read that also from more experienced users.

Again, JoeFootball thanks for your very helpful link. Which football club do you favor by the way, because I guess you dont call yourself JoeFootball because you like baseball...
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

carum carvi wrote:Even if we dont know the answer I feel like I should welcome them anyway, otherwise they might mistakingly think that one doesnt get help on this forum very easy, while the opposite is true.
I do see your point, but also realize that they are no longer visible on the Unanswered Topics list. I agree that it's very nice to be friendly, and welcome someone, but then I'd have concern that their problem would not get the views that Unanswered Topics list provides for. Simply my thoughts.
carum carvi wrote:Which football club do you favor by the way ...
I confess that it's American football that I'm most a fan of (Oakland Raiders), but I do try to follow soccer (what the rest of the world rightfully calls football) with our Major League Soccer (Minnesota United), and with the Premier League (Chelsea) for Saturday breakfasts here, and I did watch a bit of the World Cup as well.
carum carvi wrote:... because I guess you dont call yourself JoeFootball because you like baseball...
And I do like baseball too. :)

Joe
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Your reasoning makes perfectly sense. By welcoming a newbie his question disappears from the unanswered topics list. I hadnt thought about that. Makes me think twice before I start welcoming everybody whose questions have been unanswered. Wise suggestion.Thanks.

Nice to read about your football preferences. World soccer football is coming to your country in 2026. I will be watching and so will the rest of europe and the world!

Return to “Chat about Linux”