(KAPUT)First UEFI Install

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gm10

Re: First UEFI Install

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:20 am It's not normal and not recommended by Linux experts ...
I was just saying that EFI mode won't prevent you from booting an MBR disk. But I certainly agree that EFI and GPT go hand in hand and should be used together. If you go back to the beginning of the thread you'll see that's exactly what I suggested to the OP.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ gm10, .......
gm10 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:55 am Looking good. Doesn't matter where you put the EFI partition, it's one of the advantages of the UEFI/GPT system, you can do whatever you want basically. Even 50 MB for that EFI partition would have been plenty btw, you certainly won't ever need 500 MB.

First of all, a single boot loader is enough to boot many Linux distros as you want, if you dual boot Windows you'll have two.

UEFI can boot MBR just fine ...
But then, you went on to say the above, which is not very good informational advice for the OP's first UEFI install of LM, ie your follow-up advice were for tech-geeks.
Last edited by michael louwe on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:41 am @ gm10, .......
gm10 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:55 am Looking good. Doesn't matter where you put the EFI partition, it's one of the advantages of the UEFI/GPT system, you can do whatever you want basically. Even 50 MB for that EFI partition would have been plenty btw, you certainly won't ever need 500 MB.

UEFI can boot MBR just fine ...
But then, you went on to say the above, which is not very good informational advice for the OP's first UEFI install of LM.
You merged that last sentence into that quote but it was not something I advised OP of in that post. I stand by the part I actually told him, but we've already had that discussion at length, afterwards, at least as far as the size is concerned.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ gm10, .......
gm10 wrote:.
Imagine many UEFI newbies following your advice to create a 50MB EFI System Partition(ESP) on the MBR disk/drive and locate the ESP at the end of a 2TB HDD.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:54 am @ gm10, .......
gm10 wrote:.
Imagine many UEFI newbies following your advice to create a 50MB EFI System Partition(ESP) on the MBR disk/drive and locate the ESP at the end of a 2TB HDD.
Goodness gracious, what is your problem with me? Second time now trying to take my statements out of context. Not once have I advised OP to put an ESP partition on an MBR disk. I ADVISED TO USE GPT, the statement of mine you quoted just before specifically mentioned an UEFI/GPT combination. Get it into your head.

Seriously, OP had a specific situation, I gave a specific answer, I stand by that answer and not once has OP complained that this answer brought him any trouble. I'm not here to write manuals or add disclaimer in order to prevent any random noob taking my posts out of context from making a mistake.

Maybe focus your energy on writing an all encompassing guide that I may link to in the future instead of trying to throw shade in an underhanded way for reasons I don't even understand. If you felt offended by my doubts about the need for a 1 GB esp partition that would be a shame because I certainly did not intend it to be understood as such, this was just a factual discussion for me.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:12 am Goodness gracious, what is your problem with me? Second time now trying to take my statements out of context.
Anything you write will be forged, misquoted then taken out of context and used in evidence against you.

It's a conspiracy, but I'm ok. I have my tinfoil hat on ;)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ gm10, .......
gm10 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:45 am
rui no onna wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 pm
michael louwe wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:04 am .
UEFI requires GPT disks, 64bit OS and the Secure Boot feature. SB can be manually disabled in BIOS Setup.

GPT disks are limited to 128 Primary partitions = practically unlimited. So, there is no need to manually create Logical or Extended partitions for UEFI install mode, ie all the Linux partitions should be Primary partitions.
Note, I don't believe UEFI *requires* GPT although it's certainly preferred. GPT requires UEFI for boot, though.
UEFI can boot MBR just fine and in fact BIOS can also boot from GPT. You may be thinking of restrictions like Windows which does in fact required EFI to allow a GPT boot. Linux, on the other hand, does not have this problem (some rare BIOSes aside maybe).
Goodness gracious, what is your problem with me? Second time now trying to take my statements out of context. Not once have I advised OP to put an ESP partition on an MBR disk. I ADVISED TO USE GPT, the statement of mine you quoted just before specifically mentioned an UEFI/GPT combination. Get it into your head.
The follow-up to your 1st post in reply to my above post, say otherwise.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

It doesn't, but let's agree to disagree, I feel like chasing my tail here. I won't reply here anymore.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

OK I found the "right" way to get more than 128 partitions and then how to get it to boot up faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ku0rI0o6rg
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ gm10, .......
gm10 wrote:UEFI can boot MBR just fine and in fact BIOS can also boot from GPT. You may be thinking of restrictions like Windows which does in fact required EFI to allow a GPT boot. Linux, on the other hand, does not have this problem (some rare BIOSes aside maybe).
Please reread what you wrote. You said, it is no problem or just fine installing and booting Linux in UEFI mode on MBR disks. Linux experts say otherwise, especially for the long term running of Linux by newbies.

You have also said, even 50MB for the EFI System Partition would have been plenty and it does not matter where you put the ESP on the disk. These are not very correct statements, especially for UEFI newbies who may dual-boot LM and Windows on HDDs.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

OK that's enough, Please take your arguments to PM.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ HaveaMint, .......
HaveaMint wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:15 am OK I found the "right" way to get more than 128 partitions and then how to get it to boot up faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ku0rI0o6rg
Wow.! Getting more than 128 Primary partitions on an MBR disk. Many tech-geeks are salivating. Thanks for the info - information.

Return to “Chat about Linux”