BSDCan 2018: The Tragedy of systemd

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ark987

BSDCan 2018: The Tragedy of systemd

Post by Ark987 »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: BSDCan 2018: The Tragedy of systemd

Post by catweazel »

Ark987 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:03 am An awesome and informative talk, enjoy.

http://www.bsdcan.org/2018/schedule/events/927.en.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AeWu1fZ7bY
This topic has been done to death, and every once in a while someone comes along and tries to reignite the flames. If you don't like systemd, use a different distro. End of story.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

You know no one is (ironically) forcing you to comment right?
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:04 am This topic has been done to death, and every once in a while someone comes along and tries to reignite the flames. If you don't like systemd, use a different distro. End of story.
This is what I love about Linux Mint community and the reason why I don't interact much here anymore. You clearly have not read neither watch a little bit of what the presenter have said during the presentation.

Please watch the video and you may even learn how to better behave in a community and to other peers.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Ark987 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:20 am
catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:04 am This topic has been done to death, and every once in a while someone comes along and tries to reignite the flames. If you don't like systemd, use a different distro. End of story.
This is what I love about Linux Mint community and the reason why I don't interact much here anymore. You clearly have not read neither watch a little bit of what the presenter have said during the presentation.

Please watch the video and you may even learn how to better behave in a community and to other peers.
Don't be presumptuous. You're doing the very same thing.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Faust

Post by Faust »

And away we go ....

Again with the systemd !

On this forum and others , the mere mention of it's name is like tossing an incendiary bomb into a gas station - :mrgreen:

Put's me in mind of :-
" What have the Romans ever done for us ? "
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

AFAIK, Systemd has the potential to be centralized or controlled by the creators/developers.
....... Systemd looks like an attempt by RedHat to "defragment" the hundreds of Linux distros into only a handful of popular Systemd-based Linux distros, similar to Google Inc's Anti-Fragmentation Agreement imposed on the OEMs for Android, Google Play Services and Android APIs, in order to mimimize the number of Android-forks.

So, Systemd may be a good direction for Linux but bad for independent-minded Linux developers who have a propensity to go off-the-beaten-path to create new Linux-forks at the drop of a hat. Some Linux developers dream to be the next Linus Torvald or Andy Rubin or Larry Page/Sergey Brin.

Bear in mind that Linux is still free, even if Systemd'ized.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Faust wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:29 am And away we go ....

Again with the systemd !
It's tinfoil hat time.
Faust

Post by Faust »

michael louwe wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:30 am .....
So, Systemd may be a good direction for Linux but bad for independent-minded Linux developers who have a propensity to go off-the-beaten-path to create new Linux-forks at the drop of a hat. Some Linux developers dream to be the next Linus Torvald or Andy Rubin or Larry Page/Sergey Brin.
Agreed ....
.... and for those folk there is always the " roll your own " option :-
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDXsw2ijRkw

Surely mr.Knopper's opinion is to be taken seriously - considering that it's probably...
millions of people who were introduced to Linux thanks to his live cd? :wink:
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:43 am Don't be presumptuous. You're doing the very same thing.
Excuse me?

BSDCan 2018 is the name of the event, The Tragedy of systemd is the name of the talk. That is what I've use as topic tittle, I do feel it to be click bait, but those are the names that were used.

An awesome and informative talk, enjoy. Is the opening comment in my post, followed by the link of the event and the actual video.

Then you start making assumption that the entire message is to hate upon systemd, which I don't and I actually like systemd a lot. I use it in my desktop and server that I manage at work. You have not watch the video yet, haven't you?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Ark987 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:18 am Excuse me?
Why?
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

And so thus it was that so effortlessly Ark987 (being the generally serious person he/she is) fell into bickering with the resident troll.....
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

no rambo...catweazel is our officially declared, (affectionately so by MOEM), our official "Curmudgeon in Chief"...since im about 20 yrs younger than he, i am merely the Curmudgeon in training...lol...DAMIEN
Faust

Post by Faust »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am no rambo...catweazel is our officially declared, (affectionately so by MOEM), our official "Curmudgeon in Chief"...since im about 20 yrs younger than he, i am merely the Curmudgeon in training...lol...DAMIEN
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade , but nobody seems to have noticed
that we already have a fellow member of long-standing with the username " curmudgeon "
:roll:
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

And I thought I was doing good with three systems A, B, and C, did somebody's system D go down or something?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

It's best to get out of the hair of curmudgeons. Otherwise, be ready to suffer their systematic Nonsense. :D
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi michael...as you probably know...most of us old curmudgeons dont have any hair left...lol...DAMIEN
Penn

Post by Penn »

Ark987 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:18 am Excuse me?

BSDCan 2018 is the name of the event, The Tragedy of systemd is the name of the talk. That is what I've use as topic tittle, I do feel it to be click bait, but those are the names that were used.

An awesome and informative talk, enjoy. Is the opening comment in my post, followed by the link of the event and the actual video.
You really don't provide much of a reason to view the video. Do you know how often I've seen people recommend a video for a particular topic just to find out in a 45 minute video the topic is discussed for 2 minutes somewhere in the middle? Or how often the video title has NOTHING to do with what is in the video.

You are asking people to invest half an hour of their life in this video without really giving much information beyond title?
Then you start making assumption that the entire message is to hate upon systemd, which I don't and I actually like systemd a lot. I use it in my desktop and server that I manage at work. You have not watch the video yet, haven't you?
Is he really? Let us look again
catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:04 am
Ark987 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:03 am An awesome and informative talk, enjoy.

http://www.bsdcan.org/2018/schedule/events/927.en.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AeWu1fZ7bY
This topic has been done to death, and every once in a while someone comes along and tries to reignite the flames. If you don't like systemd, use a different distro. End of story.
No assumptions in the first sentence. To many here, it has been done to death.

Second part may or may not have been an assumption, as written. The "you" could have been a general theoretical term for any person who doesn't like systemd. If those who didn't like systemd just stopped complaining and went to another distro then where would the debates be for the topic that has been "done to death". YOU assumed he thought YOU don't like systemd. Not an unreasonable assumption but still an assumption which isn't much different that his POSSIBLE assumption of subject matter in the video. For what it is worth, I figured the content in the video wasn't the issue but instead most of us who have been around this board a while know where this topic is going to go if it goes on long enough.

For what it is worth, I did watch the video and there is one element which most debates on this forum don't touch on for both supporters and detractors. Why it exists and what are the parallel usages in other OSs. That description may have drawn more views to the video and thus discussion would have been more on topic with a spin I haven't seen much on these boards.

Is it possible BSD is seeing a need to have something similar to systemd in their OSs?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Faust wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:11 am we already have a fellow member of long-standing with the username " curmudgeon "
True, but he's only a demigod.

Return to “Chat about Linux”