Happy 25th to Debian!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Happy 25th to Debian!

Post by xenopeek »

Debian was first announced 25 years ago today. A copy of the original announcement: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00008.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Happy 25th to Debian!

Post by JoeFootball »

Very cool, and now I feel old. :) My very first Linux install was Debian 2.1 (Slink) in 1999, where I couldn't get the video right, and couldn't get the dial-up modem to work at all. How things have changed.

Joe
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Happy Birthday Debian!
And many more!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

JoeFootball wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:16 pmMy very first Linux install was Debian 2.1 (Slink) in 1999, where I couldn't get the video right
I think that was also my first Linux install! I recall I had problems with video also. Wrestling with modelines and couldn't get it right :(
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

xenopeek wrote:I think that was also my first Linux install! I recall I had problems with video also. Wrestling with modelines and couldn't get it right :(
Well, at least it wasn't just me who was having video challenges. :)

All this nostalgia had my curiosity research when Debian 0.01 was actually released, which was 15 September 1993, so just one month from the announcement.

Joe
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Seems rather young to be our grandparent
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Congratulations Debian Aug 16th was a watershed moment for many Distros that would come from the Debian project.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Faust

Post by Faust »

The most rock-solid stability of any OS I ever came across .

Still using it and still loving it , although mostly in the form of Raspbian these days .

RIP Ian Murdock .
Taken from us too soon , but what a wonderful legacy to leave !
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

When I had a file server up and running, I used Debian on it. Debian is known for being a little out-of-date because they value stability and well-tested-ness over anything else. Debian is also known for having releases for just about every kind of hardware platform, and my file server was a G4 Mac mini.

I actually started out using a PowerMac G3 Desktop as a file server and *dramatically* upgraded when I switched¹ to the Mac mini. It died about a year or so ago. Not long before it died, I'd looked at the Debian web site to see about downloading the latest Net Install ISO and discovered they no longer supported the 32 bit PowerPC architecture. I had previously thought about upgrading again and going to some sort of Intel-based system, but thus far I have elected not to bother.

¹ "Dramatic upgrade" refers not just to the fact that a G4 is much more powerful than a G3, but having gone from an Old World ROM to a New World ROM Mac.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux”